[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

I haven’t published a DTH for the Aeon Dry Contact…

Oops! My mistake!
FYI: The DH I was referring to is for the ZW097 which comes from manufacturer with “reversed” settings. I had to use a custom DH to properly report OPEN/CLOSE status [search on “Z-Wave Reversed Contact Sensor DH” for more info]
Sorry about that!

Please remove that link to prevent users from mistaking it for the Aeotec Doorbell DTH. Thanks

1 Like

I have been using this DTH for quite a while now. This thing works great. Just recently updated to the latest version and see that I can change the “Skip Doorbell Check” setting from right inside the mobile app. Thanks for your work on this!

1 Like

Kevin,

I ended up moving on to WebCoRE. Below is a working WebCore piston…might help someone By the way, the PLAY TRACK ( allows you to set volume) also works

Note: the TOGGLE action for the FS20Z-1 ( configured as a momentary switch using “Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch” DH) was added for testing but can be used to turn on a light/motor or…

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve tried to do something like this - my intent is to have the door sensors just ‘beep’ when opened.

1. Plugged in Aeotec doorbell and in Smartthings app Marketplace > Smoke Detectors & Alarms > Aeotec Siren Gen 5… “Connect Now” and I double press the button on the doorbell. It shows up as “Z-Wave Switch” so I save

2. Added Aeotec Doorbell v 1.14.1 to my Device Handlers, then go to My Devices, click “Z-Wave Switch” and update the Type from Switch to Aeotec Doorbell at the bottom of the list > update

3. In Smartthings App, I can see the Z-Wave Switch and the new DH options ‘Doorbell’, ‘Beep’, ‘Alarm’. They are all grey and the main switch is ‘Off’. None of the buttons do anything… I set all the Tracks to “1” or “2” just to test but get no noises. If I use the button that came with the doorbell, it will do the basic ‘ding dong’

Am I missing something… shouldn’t those 3 buttons in the new DH make a noise when pressed? I didn’t add any of the custom mp3’s, but seems like that isn’t the problem.

Mike,

If you still haven’t resolved this I would exclude device and add device, let it be discovered by ST ( no need for steps 1 & 2) , save and configure Alarm Track, Beep Track and Doorbell Track. However, these tracks are meant to be used by the doorbell and the sound /track played when a contact is opened is something you have to configure ( specify track to play for each device / event). You’ll notice above my solution for playing a sound when a door opens ( WebCoRE piston).

I am not using the doorbell button yet so I haven’t tested its settings. However, on my mobile device, with default DH ( from ST) all icons are gray and the status is OFF. When I press either one of the 3 buttons ( Doorbell/Beep/Alarm) the status changes to a light blue color and OFF changes to DOORBELL RINGING , while the sound is playing.

If you install Kevin’s DH, you’ll notice the buttons are colored…I am using the ST DH now and can’t remember more details…sorry.

I hope this helps!

I have been having the same problem @zerogravity has been having. The doorbell was working fine, no issues at all, then it suddenly stopped working. In ST it looked like the doorbell was constantly ringing, and could not get it to reset.

I removed the device, removed the device handler, and reinstalled both again. After that, the doorbell light would flash when I hit the button on the remote or activated one of the sounds in ST, but no sound came out.

After that, I reset the device (held the button for 20 seconds). Now it won’t even connect to my ST.

At this point I have to wonder if the hardware is defective. Any thoughts?

Yes, those 3 buttons should play the corresponding tracks you specified in the settings.

I need to see the logging information in order to troubleshoot so if you’re still having problems do the following:

1. Open Live Logging in the IDE

2. Open the device settings in the mobile app, enable debug and trace logging, and then tap save.

3. Tap the doorbell tile.

4. Wait about 10 seconds and tap the beep tile.

5. Wait about 10 seconds and tap the alarm tile.

6. Tap the tile next to “Volume”, tap the up arrow (or down arrow if it’s already at the top), then tap the “X”.

7. The live logging screens hould still be open in the IDE so click the name of your device which will filter the results.

8. Copy and paste the live logging data into a post.

At one point there was an issue with colored tiles randomly losing their colors so I changed the tiles in the DTH so that they only have color when they’re active.

SmartThings doesn’t have a DTH for the Aeon Doorbell… It has one for the Aeon siren, but all that would allow you to do is play one track.

Try to reset it again, but this time hold the button for 30 seconds. Wait about a minute, unplug it and then plug it back in. Unplugging probably isn’t necessary, but it can’t hurt.

While connecting it to SmartThings you may have to tap the action button multiple times…

Try using the left and right arrows on the physical device a few times to increase/decrease the volume. If it doesn’t make any sound then your device is probably defective. I’m not sure if the device has to be paired in order for that to work.

If you previously loaded a silent track as your first track then that test won’t tell you anything because resetting the device doesn’t affect the sound files.

Kevin,

I checked and I am currently using your "Aeotec Doorbell " DTH ( gray buttons/tiles becoming colored when active) . The DTH with colored buttons/tiles that I was referring to, is your “Virtual Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell” ( this is the one that didn’t work for me, but again being new to this ST/DH thing, …). This is my chance to THANK YOU for taking the time to write and share the DH-s! :slight_smile:

That being said, I do remember having issues initially with the Doorbell and ended up un-pairing and pairing multiple times, resetting it at least once, repairing the Z-Wave network even more times. However, afterwards it’s been quite stable and I am happy with the functionality of the unit.

After tinkering around it seems to work pretty good now - I have assigned custom alarm, beep and doorbell in the DH config settings

Now this is the first time I’ve used CoRE, I’m trying to ‘Beep’ when any of my 4 doors open.

If… “Any door sensor changes” (current evaluation: false)

Then… If mode is away, home, or night…
Using Aeotec Doorbell…

Beep

Doesn’t seem to do anything. Is there a more simple smartapp for my basic needs?

Essentially want it to beep when I’m home and Siren when I’m away…

I don’t remember the exact wording for CoRE but look for something like Play Track X, instead of beep. X being the number of the track of the MP3/sound you want to play.

Greetz @krlaframboise let me start by saying thanks for a great project. I’ve been using it for a few weeks now, zero issues. I am only using this to play sounds at certain actions (e.g. door open), I do not use the included button to ring a doorbell. My question is two-fold:

1. Occasionally I get a notification that my Aeontec doorbell battery is low. How can I disable that? (Again, I am not using the button at all, and the bell / speaker itself is plugged into an outlet, so battery is non-existent).

2. Lately, I’ve started getting random (frequent) doorbell pressed alerts, which trigger a sound. Since I am not using the doorbell at all, and could care less but cannot disable the sound (because I use it for another action), is there anyway I can mute or turnoff the doorbell checking at all?

Thanks again, for your great work!!

I’m assuming you’ve tried the beep tile int he mobile app and that plays the track you set it to so that command should work from CoRE.

Try changing the piston so that it performs a different action light turning on a light. If that doesn’t work either then you’ll know that there’s a problem with your piston and it’s not the doorbell.

The device sometimes takes a few seconds to start paying and the “changes” trigger you’re using for your piston will fire when the contact opens and closes which might cause problems if the door is opened and closed quickly. It might be worth changing it to contact changes to open.

Update:
@rhoffer is correct and you can play any track by number if you use one of the other commands like playTrack, playText, or speak. If you use one of those options you should enter the track# you want to play as the custom message.

You can also setup custom monitors in Smart Home Monitor to play any track using the Audio Notification feature. Choose the custom option from the list of sounds it gives you and then enter the track number into the custom message field.

When you use those play commands you should either leave the volume field empty or set it to the same volume specified in the settings or it will add an additional delay before playing the track.

One last thing, this device doesn’t work well as an alarm because the device stays on for a maximum of about 25 seconds regardless of the track length and repeat setting.

If you put // in front of the line below, which is around line 133, it will disable the Battery capability and stop those notifications.

capability "Battery"

The doorbell checking has to do with detecting when the doorbell button is pushed and it doesn’t cause the device to play a sound.

Many users have reported a problem with this device randomly playing track #1. That’s the track that gets played when the device is plugged into the wall so you might be experiencing that problem which is unrelated to the button.

Even if it is the button it can’t be fixed through the DTH because the button communicates directly with the device and the device doesn’t communicate with SmartThings until after it’s started playing the doorbell track.

I always recommend using a sound file that doesn’t make any noise as the first track on the device which will solve the phantom ring problem. You can find an mp3 in my resources repository that plays a few seconds of silence.

If it’s not the first track that keeps randomly playing then it’s possible that the button is too far from the device and the weak signal is causing the false button pushes and low battery reports so try removing the battery from the button.

Thanks for the speedy response @krlaframboise! Much appreciated.

1. I will implement this immediately.
  2. I actually already have silence as my first track. What ended up (seemingly) solving this issue was actually putting the battery in the button (I never used it, so it was new in the box still). I then synced the button with the speaker and presto-chango, the random sounds have stopped (for the past 5 hours or so).

Thanks again man, genuinely, thank you all!

For the last number of months, the mp3’s played when initiated by events stutter like crazy. All of them do it and it happens more times than not. I’ve removed all the custom actions and if I set the number up manually to the beep button, they still stutter over half the time.

When I originally installed this back in May and set it up, it went for months without any kind of stutter. Any ideas on fixing the stuttering? It’s awful when you open the back door and hear, “Ba Ba Ba Back Door Opened”.

My doorbell used to stutter in the same way; this happened fairly frequently over a period of several months. I was never able to figure out why. I tried re-writing all the mp3 files and that had no effect. Somehow that behavior completely stopped and it has been months since it has misbehaved.

Yet mine will very rarely play the wrong track in response to an automation; usually a track that had been accessed (correctly) recently but that was not the correct one for the current event. It’s kind of hilarious / nerve wracking, (depending on your mood) when the track that plays is ‘sound of aggressive dogs barking’ instead of ‘laundry cycle has completed’.

Does it ever stutter when you press the physical button?

Hello! New SmartThings user here (refugee from Vera). I got the speaker included, I added the device handler, I followed the install instruction. I have no noise! I’ll only be using the speaker to use mp3 #2 when my front gate is opened, eventually, right now I’m trying to properly get the speaker working. Here’s my log from pushing all the buttons. I know it’s probably something ridiculously easy (don’t ask me about using a wrong IP address for a week), but I’m not sure how to see it:

31f6db1d-6a91-4974-825a-5833dae6bcc3 5:32:05 PM: debug refresh() is called
d2b1cae0-fa87-4525-88b2-60cd00e4a648 5:32:03 PM: debug lowBatteryHandler: Speaker battery is 100%
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:03 PM: trace Battery is normal
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:03 PM: debug Volume: 10
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:03 PM: debug Repeat: 20
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:02 PM: debug Doorbell Track: 2
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:02 PM: debug alarmTrack is 100
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:02 PM: debug beepTrack is 1
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:32:02 PM: debug Executing refresh()
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:54 PM: debug Volume: 10
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:53 PM: trace Setting volume to 10
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:51 PM: debug Volume: 9
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:51 PM: trace Setting volume to 9
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:44 PM: debug Parameter #82: 1
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:43 PM: trace startTrack([track:100, status:alarm])
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:43 PM: debug Sounding Alarm
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:43 PM: trace Executing both()
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:39 PM: debug Parameter #82: 1
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:39 PM: trace startTrack([track:1, status:beep])
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:39 PM: debug Playing Beep Track
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:39 PM: trace Executing beep()
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:32 PM: debug Parameter #82: 1
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:31 PM: debug Ringing Doorbell
49f27663-fb25-40cb-8ef7-917f6172cafb 5:31:31 PM: trace Executing on()