[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Recently put this into my Smartthings hub. Does anyone have a list or know where to get them, of what the Alarm tracks, Beep tracks and Doorbell track are?

Just connect the Doorbell to your computer via a USB cable and then look at its storage. I can’t recall what the default MP3 files were, or how many — I deleted them when I first got mine long ago LOL, and replaced them with custom sound bites. The track #s are in the order that the files are loaded. IIRC, the default MP3 files were numbered.

I think it comes with 5 tracks pre-loaded, but I’m not sure because I did the same thing as @elf and accidentally deleted them.

The track numbers are assigned based on the order that the files are copied to the device so the names of the mp3s don’t matter.

I’ve created a bunch of custom message mp3s and posted them GitHub:

It came with the 5 following tracks:

01_21861__nofeedbak__georgebuzzer.mp3
02_66987__guitarguy1985__campanile.mp3
03_72227__dobroide__20090501-door-bell-02.mp3
04_81072__bennstir__doorbell-1.mp3
05_11703901 第一首.mp3

I have these backed up. Kevin, if you want them for your resources, PM me where to send.

1 Like

One additional tip: make sure there are no invisible files (.eg file names starting with a . ) in the directory - these will prevent all sounds from playing.

Drove me nuts when trying to load audio files from my Mac.

2 Likes

sorry if this may have been covered to death already but this thread is a bit out of hand… in unsecure mode, with either DH the physical button press on the device itself does not register, even with debug logs enabled absolutely no events, I also tried with and without the “silent” button setting in the other DH, any tricks/or is this as expected at this point? thanks

Are you able to get it to play different sounds through the mobile app?

If you press the physical button and the device plugged into the wall doesn’t light up, the problem has nothing to do with the DTH.

You need to place the physical button on a hard surface before pushing it because it doesn’t work when held.

If it still doesn’t light up when pushed while on a hard surface you may have to pair the button with the device. I can’t remember exactly how to do that, but it involves pressing buttons on the device plugged into the wall and there should be instructions in the manual.

I was actually taking about the big circle on the actual speaker - I guess that’s not something that’s meant to be used for anything besides pairing

Correct. So everything else is working as expected, right?

yessir thanks

Great project, thanks for posting!

I am having some odd behavior when trying to get a push notification when the doorbell button is pushed. I’m using “Notify Me When” and under the “Button Pushed” I’ve selected my doorbell that uses this handler. It does work when I push the button on the doorbell, but it ALSO alerts that the “Doorbell was pushed” at random times when I playback sounds using Core Pistons or other alerts like when the garage door opens and closes - but times when the button was certainly NOT pushed. Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

I’m not sure why, but I started experiencing the same problem while beta testing the version 17 hub update.

I was able to fix it by adding about a 3 second delay, but that makes it unusable and no one else mentioned the problem so I never released the change and I stopped using the button.

There’s another device handler for that doorbell in my GitHub repository that has other issues and is no longer supported, but it might solve the problem you’re experiencing.

Release Version 1.14

I just released a new version that fixes a problem that some users might have started experiencing after the latest hub update.

I’ve also added 2 new settings that can be used to improve the performance or reliability.

Skip Doorbell Check?

The response time of this device isn’t great, but the additional code needed to differentiate between the button being pushed and a track being played makes it even slower.

If you’re only using the device for one thing (notifications or doorbell) you can enable this setting to bypass that extra check and play the tracks faster. When this setting is enabled, the performance should be the same for secure and non secure devices.

Perform Extra Doorbell Check?

Enabling this setting should eliminate or at least reduce the false doorbell notifications that sometimes occur while playing notifications. Unfortunately it also hurts performance so you should only enable it if you’ve been experiencing problems.

@drewsonian, enabling this new setting should fix your problem, but let me know if it doesn’t.

Would anyone care to share their sounds?

1 Like

Thanks for the share !

1 Like

Hi,

I’m using your Aeotec Doorbell v 1.14.1 DH.

In another older post you mentioned a way to speed up response time:

"Skip Doorbell Check?

The response time of this device isn’t great, but the additional code needed to differentiate between the button being pushed and a track being played makes it even slower.

If you’re only using the device for one thing (notifications or doorbell) you can enable this setting to bypass that extra check and play the tracks faster. When this setting is enabled, the performance should be the same for secure and non secure devices."

Can you tell me what changes need to be made to bypass that extra check? Do I make changes in the code?

I gave up on the manufacturer’s supplied doorbell button and I’m using a standard doorbell button connected to an Ecolink door/window sensor.

I’d like to try to speed up the response time.

Thanks,

Brian

Open the device in the mobile app, scroll to the bottom of the settings list, and enable the setting that says “Skip Doorbell Check”.

Thank You.