[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Sorry, ignore that. I found the problem. I was using the wrong device driver. It works now.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. One last question. Should I care if the speaker will only connect as Unsecure? It seems like from posts above that it may be a little delayed but it seems pretty responsive to me.

If you’re OK with the speed then I wouldn’t bother trying to get it paired securely.

I cannot seem to get the button to pair with the base. I added the base fine in ST using @krlaframboise …thanks for your work… but if I push the button on the remote nothing happens. I tried the volume +/- Repair and still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By chance are you holding the button when trying it? If so, try it on a hard surface. They don’t work well being held for some reason.

1 Like

This should help.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000097060-wireless-button-installation-guide-wireless-button-pair-guide

1 Like

Maybe this did it…

Thanks.

Got it working. Don’t know what it was, but after a few tries I got it paired. Thanks!

Glad you were able to get it working, but haven’t you had this device for a really long time?

Thanks @rhoffer for assisting, I think the button only works on a hard surface because of the loose battery contacts.

So, apologies up front if it is bad form to ask this here since it is somewhat off-topic, but I got no response on a separate thread I created. I had been using this device as both a doorbell and a notification device, but now that the metal siding has been put up on the building it is installed in, I find that the button won’t communicate with the receiver. Does anyone have any relatively inexpensive options for adding a weatherproof z-wave button that I can use to trigger the doorbell instead of the supplied proprietary button? Keep in mind, there is no existing doorbell wiring. Thanks in advance.

I drilled a hole from outside to inside (on an angle). Put a nice doorbell button outside and ran the wire inside to the contacts on a contact sensor (my sensor is on the inside of the doorframe). My walls are concrete, so the button never worked for me. The setup I have now works perfectly. I use CoRE to trigger the doorbell to ring when the button is pushed activating the contact sensor.

I had first tried a variety of buttons outside… that went terribly. Either the cold, rain, crappy buttons, etc. Something always made the button not work.

Thanks for the idea. I’m relatively new to HA, so I need to bit of clarification. Are you saying that you can take a wired doorbell button and simply attach the wire leads to a contact sensor that allows external wire connections? There wouldn’t need to be any electrical current added to the mix at all (i.e., the contact sensor’s battery would supply the current that is measured when the button is pressed)? If so, that seems like a great solution. Plus, I don’t think my wife was crazy about the way the Aeotec button looked anyway.

Yup, you got it. Pretty sure I used one of these guys right here. Amazon.com

Button outside, wire through the hole to the sensor, done.

Now, the type of sensor you use might matter to you a bit. I believe there are normally open and normally closed sensors. This one is normally open, I just had a bunch of them. That means it will always show as being open in your overall setup. When the button is pushed, it closes. You can use that closing in whatever app you desire to trigger the chime. I think you can find ones that are normally closed that will open when the button is pushed… I haven’t looked around enough to know.

Using a normally open one might bug some people. But also, if you use security like SHM, you have to exclude the doorbell contact sensor from SHM or it will always see you as having an open sensor.

ALso of note… the fancy doorbell buttons with built in lights will work (Mine has a light) … just the light won’t light. There’s nothing to power it.

1 Like

Since the Speaker Notify app disappeared a few days ago, I’ve tried to use the Speaker Companion app instead to play my custom sounds through the doorbell speaker. Unfortunately, that app doesn’t recognize the speaker as one that can play custom sounds. Any suggestions?

The Custom feature in Smart Home Monitor works with this device.

If your setup is more involved, like announcing a specific door, window, motion sensor, etc., there’s a SmartApp in my GitHub Repository called Simple Zone Monitor.

Thanks for the response. I got it to work with SHM but not the Speaker Companion app. I’ll try the other app suggestion.

If all you’re doing is playing a few tracks for things like doors opening, you’re probably better off using SHM.

The other SmartApp I mention is my own SHM substitute, but it’s still a beta and there’s a bit of a leanring curve. You should go through its read me file on GitHub to see if it’s something you’re interested in before wasting time installing it.

Anybody had an issue where a brand new battery goes from 100% to 1% in 24 hours? I have two brand new Aeotec Doorbells, using this DTH and both are throwing a 1% battery alert on their newly installed batteries. One of them reported 1% almost immediately upon install, the second one dropped to 1% a day after installing.

I presume the batteries are, in fact, not at 1%, but going to get a couple new CR2450s for kicks.

Sometimes the batteries that come with devices are duds.

I wonder if it is a reporting issue and not the batteries. I bought 3
recessed Aeotec contact sensors and 1 of them needed the battery replaced
in 1 month. It was still working fine even when ST said it was critically​
low for a week.

Bring the button closer to the device and tap the refresh tile. If it changes back to 100% then it’s most likely a weak signal causing the problem and the battery is fine.

I’m not sure if that’s the problem, but this is the first time I’ve heard someone report a battery problem with this device and there are a lot of people using this DTH.

I was using my button to toggle night mode so I was pushing it twice a day and my battery lasted about 6 months.

If moving the button closer didn’t fix it, open the device in the IDE and post what’s shown in the raw description field. That will allow me to rule out a firmware change in the new models.

That’s a common problem with some devices, but when my battery died, it became unreliable days before it reported low battery so I don’t believe this device has the problem.

You bring up a good point, I received a new motion sensor recently and the battery immediately reported 20% and died about a week later…