[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Applied 1.13 and everything is working perfectly again. Thanks Kevin!

1 Like

I updated to 1.13 but it’s still broken for me was working fine a few days ago.

Go back and check to make sure that the update saved and published for
1.13. It didn’t take the first time that I did it last night and I had to
do it a 2nd time. Maybe you have the same issue.

Yep took 3 times but it’s alive again thanks.

That’s weird. Are you using GitHub Integration or are you copying and pasting the code?

Update: The save operation is taking a lot longer than normal so maybe you clicked publish before it finished saving…

1 Like

I used copy/paste.

@krlaframboise Thank you!! This community rocks. Verified fixed.

1 Like

I did a Github update to 1.13 to keep my code current but I forgot about checking to see what was on the lines to comment out so I could match it to the new code. I tried a best guess at it but it didn’t work. Old lines were:

Since I never got mine to pair securely, could you post the new lines to comment out to remove a little of the delay?

The next version I release will have a setting that allows you to specify how you’re using the device and it will skip over the delays and extra code that you don’t need.

For the time being, commenting out lines 624-629 and 632-637 should work for you.

Thanks. I learned my lesson and made a copy of the modified code so I can verify what content was commented out - just in case. Looking foward to trying out the future changes, no pressure :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the donation.

@krlaframboise first time poster, thank you so much for this helped a lot!. where do we make donations?

Thanks, I’m glad you like it.

Donations aren’t necessary, but you can make donations by going to:

Kevin,
Thanks so much for putting together this device handler!

A few questions for you or the general community related to this:

1. It seems like that Ivona is now part of Amazon. Does anyone know if this means that the process to create mp3s has changed? I’m not sure how to start on it.
  2. Any tips of how to get the the speaker as loud as possible? I currently use the Speaker Notify with Sound smartapp. I’m wondering if I’m overlooking an obvious way to beef up the volume.
  3. The repository of mp3s alongside the device handler is awesome. What other mp3s are people using? Any sites that people like to use where they are available to download?

Hi All - New user here. Is there an example Groovy SmartApp that uses Kevin’s device driver for the Aeotec Doorbell? I may end up using CoRE but I wanted to see that example first before I jump into CoRE.
Thanks,
Tony

CoRE is great, but it’s not necessary to use the doorbell.

You can select the device as an audio device in the SmartApps Smart Home Monitor and Speaker Notify with Sound. Then you can select “Custom Message” and enter the track number you want to play as the message.

Ivona made some changes and I don’t believe there’s a free way to generate mp3s with it anymore.

Have you opened the device and used the slider to increase the volume to 10?

The sounds it comes with are a lot lower than most tracks you create yourself. You can also use the free application Audacity to increase the volume of your sound files.

I usually use http://soundbible.com/ when looking for a specific sound effect,but there are a lot of sites with free mp3s.

I looked at the Smart Home Monitor but it is not doing what I want. I want to press a button on a fob and play a certain audio #. That option is not available. Also, i want to play a different audio # when presence is detected only at night by a presence device. I have that logic currently in a Groovy app, so I’m hoping I can use a modified Groovy app to control the audio in the doorbell.

BTW, what is the mapping in the doorbell between the sounds that are selectable in the Smart Home Monitor and the audio number in the doorbell? I’ve been following this thread, so I understand how to load audios and to keep them straight. But none of the default audios are a barking dog which is one of the options in the monitor. If I loaded an audio for a barking dog, what audio number would it be? Is the source code available for the Smart Home Monitor app that I could examine to try to figure that out?

Thanks, Tony

You’ll save yourself a lot of time if you use CoRE for these types of simple automations and in CoRE you can select the device as an audio device and use any of the speak/play track commands to specify the track number.

If you’re doing it from your own code use the playTrack command and pass in the track number you want to play.

With this DTH the only option you can select from that list is “Custom Message” because you need to enter the track number into the custom message field.

SHM will send that message through Amazon TTS and the DTH will receive a url to the mp3 it generated. This device can’t play dynamic mp3s so it parses the track number from the mp3 name and plays it.

If you select something like barking dog, the mp3 name will be barking dog so the DTH won’t be able to parse the track number and it will default to track 1.

Looks like CoRE might work well for me. But there appears to be a problem. If I use a Samsung smart button and create a piston to have the doorbell play a track, it works great. But if I use an Aeon button to do the same thing in another piston, it does not work. In the IDE I see button presses for both buttons. Any idea what might be going on?
Thanks,
Tony