[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

Just to play announcements. No need for doorbell button.

Lines 621-626 and 629-634 are there to prevent it from thinking the button was pushed when a track plays so if you comment them out it will take about 1 second less to start playing. To comment a line put // in front of it.

It will also play faster if you don’t specify a volume or if the volume field is required, use the same number that the device is set to. If you want everything to play at the same volume and not have to worry about always using the volume in the settings you can also comment out lines 599-619.

The Speak Text command in CoRE might be a tiny bit faster than the other commands, but you’re still going to see a 1-2 second delay for all tracks.

[quote=“krlaframboise, post:246, topic:39166, full:true”]
Lines 621-626 and 629-634 are there to prevent it from thinking the button was pushed when a track plays so if you comment them out it will take about 1 second less to start playing. To comment a line put // in front of it.[/quote]

What are the side-effects of commenting out these lines if we still use the button as the doorbell trigger? Is it just that ST will trigger a button event for every track played?

If you remove lines 621-626 and 629-634 it will create a switch on and button push event every time you play a track.

At the moment, if you’re paired securely, some of those lines are already skipped so removing them will most likely only save you about 1/4 second. If you’re not paired securely and you remove those lines you’ll save about 1 second.

Kevin,

Thanks for all your work with many high quality DH. It’s working great except the mute.

-I have the doorbell securely paired;
-When I push the physical button, it plays;
-When I use your DH to play tracks, everything is good;

The only thing not working is changing mute-unmute with CoRE. I created a virtual switch to mute-umute the doorbell. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. I tried setting the level to 0 and back to 100 instead of mute, it doesn’t work.

I use CoRe for so many things, and it’s a simple piston, not sure what I am missing …

Thanks,

LJ

Are there any straight forward instructions on how to get this all going? I’ve loaded the code here but don’t see any app in ST, also when I pair the doorbell in ST it comes up as a zwave switch is this normal?

The code is for a Device Handler, not a SmartApp; so you will not “see an app”. If you have added the code to the “My Device Handlers” section of the IDE and published it for yourself prior to pairing the device, then it should use the correct device handler. If not, you can edit that device in the IDE and change its “Type” to “Aeotec Doorbell”.

I recommend reading this:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Using_Custom_Code#Using_a_Custom_Device_Handler

Ok I got the doorbell to be seen correctly, had to do a factory reset and pair again. Now I’m having issues getting the audibles going. I’ve formatted the doorbell and transferred a few files to the doorbell and renamed a few. Silence.mp3, 02 front Door, 03 back door, 04 driveway motion detection in that order but I don’t get any audible from doorbell when triggered. I can see the doorbell says playing when I trigger the sensor but nothing verbally. How do you set the .mp3 to play when a sensor is triggered.? Do I select custom and name the appropriate.mp3?

Sorry, this post got buried.

The tracks get assigned a number 1-100 based on the order that they’re copied to the device and you can play specific tracks by using that number as the custom message for audio notifications.

If you set the first track to silence, like recommended, and you were trying to play the tracks by name, it was most likely defaulting to the first track which is silence which is why you weren’t hearing anything when it played.

Let me know if you’re still having problems.

Hello @krlaframboise,
does the play track repeat with volume still available ?
how can we use it on apps ?
i usually use custom with message of audio track, but so far i have not try with repeat.
does the interval between repeat also configurable from apps ?

In CoRE you can use the speak text command and enter the track number followed by a comma and the repeat number.

You may be able to do the same thing in the custom message field of SHM and/or Speaker Notify with Sound, but I can’t remember.

The repeat feature is a hardware setting so I have no control over the pause between the tracks. There’s no way to decrease the pause between them, but you can easily increase it by adding a little bit of white noise to the end of the track.

Keep in mind that the device shuts off after about 22 seconds so if you have a 5 second track, you won’t be able to get it to repeat more than 4 times.

Did anyone solve the stuttering issues? Mine just started playing high pitched (maybe it’s faster hard to tell) playback. Sounds horrible. I tried rebooting the doorbell. The mobile app sends commands to play the tracks fine, it’s just when my automated sounds for opening a door plays. Anyone else experience this? I’m using 1.12 of the code.

Something weird is going on, I’ve been having the door bell speaker play custom sound for my front door for months and starting yesterday I noticed that it was no longer playing my custom sound and reverted to playing the default, track 1, winchester chime. I’ve rebooted the hub and the door bell device and have run throught the configuration settings (I use the security alerting and do a custom alert from shm) and its still broken. So something changed yesterday at some point in time. Seems that way anyway.

yup I just troubleshot mine, that’s exactly what it’s doing as well. I can trigger whatever I want manually but it always plays track one when using the door opening built in smartapp.

Maybe tomorrow’s firmware update to the hub will fix whatever broke?

SmartThings changed their TTS url which broke all my audio device handlers, but I’ll have a fix posted shortly.

1 Like

Yep. Same problem here too.

1 Like

I’ll have a fix posted shortly, but I need to fix all my siren DTHs first.

If you’re using this as an audio device and using the custom message field to specify the track number, update to version 1.13 ASAP.

1 Like