[OBSOLETE] Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell

If you look in the mp3s folder of my Resouces GitHub reposity you’ll see how I prefix all my audio messages. I use a soft tone for messages like washer finished and a loud one that can wake me up for all my security related messages.

Just to rule out my device handler, can you remove the device, remove the device handler, and see if you can get it to pair securely? Once it’s paired, you can install the device handler, change the device to it in the IDE and then update the device settings from the mobile app to see if it says it’s paired securely?

I need someone on v2 of the Hub, that’s paired securely, and not part of the beta program to open live logging, open the device in the mobile app, tap the beep button and let me know if a debug message for “ringing doorbell” is displayed. Thank you.

I just tried this and logging displays “Playing Track 2 (beep: Beeping!)”

Thank you, but which version of the device handler are you on?

I just now updated from github and get the same results. Is 1.8.13 the current version? I think this was the version number in the comments before and after I updated.

It looks like you’re using the old “multifunction” device handler which I’ve discontinued.

You will have to reconfigure things if you switch to the new one and at the moment I’m experiencing issues with the new one so it’s up to you whether or not you switch to the new one.

Ah, yes I am using the old handler. I updated the new version in github but never actually edited the device to use it. It’s been working well for me.

I initially removed a bunch of capabilities because they were only partially being supported and I was concerned that they would prevent it from getting published and I also moved all the settings to the UI.

That was over a year ago and ST never even acknowledged the submission so I’ve given up on getting anything published and everything except presence has been moved back into it…

ST messed up the mobile app UI rendering sliders virtually useless so I ended up moving all the settings from the UI back into the settings screen.

At this point, the main difference is that it is a little bit faster and allows you to change the volume to play a track and have it change back afterwards. If the old one is working for you then it’s probably not worth switching.

So I still need someone on v2 of the hub and not part of the beta program, with version v1.12 of the Aeotec Doorbell DTH installed, and their device paired securely to open live logging, tap the beep button and then post the live logging data. Thanks.

I switched to the new version but found that my device isn’t paired securely (the logging for the multifunction version said ‘checking for secure commands’ in the logs so I assumed that it was paired securely; the 1.12 version says ‘unsecured’ on the mobile UI). Tomorrow I will try to pair it securely and report back if I succeed.

OK, got it paired securely. Actually paired securely on the first try once I gave up trying to get ‘replace’ to work (for some reason the hub showed ‘checking health status’ instead and completely deleted the device). Here’s what I get with live logging and the 1.12 version; I selected trace, info, and debug in the logging settings but only the debug setting seemed to stick; let me know if you need something else.

11:08:00 AM: debug Aeotec Doorbell is off
11:07:54 AM: debug Playing Beep Track
11:07:49 AM: debug Volume: 10
11:07:49 AM: debug Repeat: 1
11:07:49 AM: debug Doorbell Track: 2
11:07:49 AM: debug alarmTrack is 1
11:07:49 AM: debug beepTrack is 2
11:07:49 AM: debug Executing refresh()
11:07:49 AM: debug Secure Commands Enabledn when I tap beep:

I’m glad you got it to pair securely, i just wish you did it 15-20 minutes sooner, LOL. I just typed a long post about how difficult it is to pair securely and I included a bunch of things to try if it doesn’t work, but there’s no need to post it now…

When did you purchase your device? My device has always paired first try too, but a lot of new users are having trouble.

Can you clear live logging, tap the beep button and then post the results? It looks like the device was refreshed around the same time so I want to make sure I get clean results.

I purchased it back in April of last year. Only issue I’ve seen with it is occasional stuttering which seemed to go away when I re-wrote all the audio tracks but then after a couple of weeks started happening again.

Ok, here is the result:
11:36:42 AM: debug Aeotec Doorbell is off
11:36:37 AM: debug Playing Beep Track

That’s exactly how mine has always worked, but ever since I was upgraded to the beta version of the hub it’s been doing the following which has rendered it unusable as a button and a notification device.

11:42:27 AM: debug Living Room Doorbell is off
11:42:25 AM: debug Doorbell Ringing
11:42:25 AM: debug Playing Beep Track 

SmartThings claims that the beta hub version can’t be causing this and I hope they’re right, but if it is the cause, this device won’t work for anyone once they officially role it out.

If anyone using this device is paired securely, part of the beta program, and on v1.12 of this device handler, please tap the beep button and post the live logging data. Thanks

So that means with the beta hub update, you’re seeing the doorbell function as if the remote button was pressed anytime a selected audio track is played?

Correct. In my case, I use my doorbell to toggle my normal and night modes so every time a track plays my mode switches. I used to have it wait a few seconds and then play a track depending on which mode it changed to, but that put it into a loop that just kept switching my night mode on and off.

The problem started the day I received the hub update, but I can’t say for sure that the hub update caused it. I’m hoping it’s just a coincidence.

Just received doorbell on Friday. Mine is showing as unsecure with version 1.12. I’ve tried factory reset with no luck. When I configure in CoRE, there is a good three second delay between door open and bell playing track. When I activate through app, there is a 1-2 second delay. I tried moving my hub right beside the doorbell and reactivating. I do have some outlets and light switches, so I’m not sure if that is causing the issue with secure/unsecure. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Here are some things to try:

If you want tot ry and get it paired securely, here are some things you can try:

Press the action button twice when pairing it and then wait a while to see if it eventually identifies the device.

If that doesn’t work, remove the device and the device handler and try to pair it again the same way as above. Without this device handler installed, it should be identified as the aeon siren and then you can install the device handler and switch the device type in the IDE.

I don’t think this will matter, but I’d like to compositely rule out this device handler as the problem.

I’m still waiting for someone else in the beta program to test to see if they’re seeing the same behavior I am, but if the issue is caused by the beta update, it’s going to take about 1 second longer than what you’re seeing now for all users once SmartThings pushes out that Hub Update.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the problem that started the same day that my hub was upgraded to the beta version is just a coincidence.

I followed your steps, but the device was identified as a Generic Z-wave Switch. I went ahead and installed the device handler and then applied it, but same results: unsecured and 3-second delay before sound played.

Do you plan on using the button or are you just using it to play announcements?