[OBSOLETE] Absolute Simplest ESP8266 Smart Blinds, no mqtt, rest, bridge, or broker, just your board and your hub

Well done. Looking forward to seeing your code

What does your hardware look like?

Iā€™m in the middle of developing my own solution which uses the zigbee board out of the Cree Connected bulb connected to an arduino. Iā€™m going to have it use a battery which is recharged with a small solar panel.

It would be nice if this was based on ESP8266 as this is what this thread is about. But I think JetPuf used a Photon which is already out there.

I shouldnā€™t have started reading this threadā€¦ now I want automated blinds!

Amazing work. Really well done. Now the question is, how can I use this to control plantation shutters?

I see shuttereaze is coming out with a solution but it probably will be around 99$ per half window!

If I were to install this and use a motor & metal rod that attaches to the back of one wooden shutter, would it be enough torque to lift all the shutters?

So are there rules for posting? Iā€™ve made enough changes I probably should release on my own thread.

Iā€™m using a self designed 3d-printed connection from the servo to the blinds, code inspired by this thread on the NodeMCU/ESP8266 however changed and reworked, and code reworked on the device type.

Really well done then. Now Iā€™m really excited to seeing that code. Iā€™ve been trying to do that with the ESP8266 unsuccessfully for quite a while.

Itā€™s pretty brute-force basic. is there a guide for posting a ā€œreleaseā€ or should I just go for it?

I havenā€™t seen a guide. I known that you can actually post you code right here in a post.

Feel free to create a new post, a general guide, pictures, video, schematics and code samples are always appreciated :grin:

Holy cow @jetpuf this is exactly the direction I was trying to go with my code in the beginning but just couldnā€™t crack it lol, I donā€™t care how rough you think it looks I would Looooove to see the code behind it along with the hardware details!!!

But yea if you go ahead and make a new release thread, could you please post a link back here afterwards to make sure we all find it and/or get notified of it? Or if you donā€™t make a new thread, perhaps just some brief details and a github link here?

Either way, my hats off to you sir, well done!!!

Here it is! Please let me know how I can make this first post better. heh.

2 Likes

I would like to see our code.

Has anyone run into the problem the power bank (USB battery) auto shut off after few seconds because too little power was consumed? I got a similar power bank with solar panel at one side, but it keeps shutting off. I am using nodemcu v0.9 BTW.

Thatā€™s an issue with the power bank it seems. Also, not sure if that solar charging will keep up with the ESP 8266. Itā€™s not a very efficient chip.

@blebson, itā€™s by design the power bank, at least for most of them, shuts itself off when too little or no current was drawn. So when it done charging the tablet/phone, it turns itself off as the phone/table draw little current from the power bank when it is fully charged. I just donā€™t know if anyone in this thread has ran into this issue using the power bank posted? Would be nice if there are some power banks just donā€™t have this auto shut off feature.

I understand itā€™s by design for the power bank, I just meant youā€™d either need to disable that feature or get a different one.

@C_Hobbs probably need a solar panel like this

https://www.mysmartblinds.com/buy/product/solar-panel.php

C_Hobbs,

Thanks for posting! The code works great.

Can anyone tell me how to edit this sketch to control additional servos?

My goal is to control 4 servos with one ESP8266.

Thanks,

Johnny

Has anyone found a battery pack/solar panel combination that lasts a good amount of time? Reading through this thread, the best Iā€™ve seen anyone claim is 48 hours. Iā€™m considering jumping into thisā€¦ All of my windows are west facing and we get full sun most of the day. I need a solar panel that is big enough to power the ESP8266/servo continuously, yet small enough that my wife approves :slight_smile: