[OBSOLETE] Absolute Simplest ESP8266 Smart Blinds, no mqtt, rest, bridge, or broker, just your board and your hub

great news !! I have really quickly gone through the posts but I did not find how the servo motor is attached to the blinds shafts/tube. Is there any documentation or picture related?

Sorry, the one I’m using is this:

But there is a link in the first post here of the coupler he used.

Great, thanks !! Will the servo motor be able to carry and work with roller shadows like the ones in my picture? because in the youtube video I saw it was working with different type that what I had in mind

No, these are for blinds, not shades. For shades you need a continuous motor not a servo.

Ok then I will continue searching a post/development for shades. Thanks

Yes this project still works, and in my opinion is still the easiest way to do smartblinds.
But as for myself, I have moved my installations to the solar powered version @blebson built based on this, which can be found here. I’ve been using his version in my house for almost a year now, with just the solar panels for power, and they’ve been absolutely rock solid!

thanks. Is there a way your development could be used/adapted to be used with a continuous motor ?? Ryan mentioned in a post before that is what I would need instead of a servo motor for my shades (which is what I actually have and not blinds)

It technically could, technically lol, but I wouldn’t trust it…
Basically instead of sending the servo the number of degrees of rotation as it does now, you’d switch it to time of rotation, like for example spin clockwise (down) for 15 seconds, or counter clockwise for 10…

Not to mention you’d need a hefty servo to pull up all of the weight of the blinds on the “open” actuation. As it is now the servo just tilts the horizontal blades.

But the real problem is that using simple timers isn’t precise and the controller has no way of knowing the “true” position of the blinds…

ok I will navigate the web to explore some other options then… thanks

I am trying to gather the supplies to make your project. I like the simplicity of your project. Do you think I can use the MG996 that jetpuf used along with a shaft coupler? The MG996 motor seems to be much cheaper (I want to modify multiple blinds so the costs will add up). I don’t have access to a 3D printer and don’t know how to modify the 3d designs to fit my blinds (even if I did) so I would like to use the MG996 like jetpuf did but use the shaft coupler approach like you did. Thoughts?

I have gotten my esp programmed and have a webpage with open and close. But im having trouble getting it linked to smartthings. Is there a how to on this or can someone lead me in the right direction?

Did anyone ever get stepper motors integrated with this?

Would you be willing to share the code you have for the garage with the relay. I’m wanting to do the same thing, but I’m not sure how to.

For roller blinds look for “Bofu” blind motors or the new IKEA blinds.

Hello Friend,

" 1 arduino sketch to flash" what does means , I am not able to understand . if you have some details for this .
Regards

Arduino is a platform, that includes a C/C++ programming integrated development environment (IDE) along with micro-controller boards. These boards (like the Arduino UNO and the ESP8266 series) can be used by do it yourself hobbyists to communicate with other systems, and to interact with physical devices.

The “Arduino Sketch” is simply an C/C++ application written with the Arduino IDE.

Hello Ogiewon,
Thanks for your comment. as per instruction, I need to add Reo in Smartthing. it has two file one is . ino extension file and other is .Groovy. by some video came to know that .groovy file i need to upload in smartthing but it not clear, same i have to do for .ino file

There is no SmartApp associated with the original poster’s GitHub Repository. There is only a Device Handler. Follow the original poster’s instructions and hopefully you’ll be able to get this working. However, the original poster has not posted anything new in this community forum since December 2018. It does not appear he is maintaining this project any longer. Both the Arduino Sketch as well as the Groovy Device handler are about 4 years old.

I have never used this ESP8266 Smart Blinds project, so I really can’t be too much more help. Projects like this one assume the user is already familiar with programming using the Arduino IDE, as well as SmartThings Groovy. The .ino file is loaded into the Arduino IDE for programming the NodeMCU ESP8266 board.

Hopefully another community member who is still using this project will chime in and provide some advice/assistance.

Good luck!

There never was a Smart App as this was designed to be as simple as possible and it simply wasn’t needed. All of the work is done by the Device Handler, sending signals directly to the Arduino.

As far as maintaining the code and implementing improvements, there honestly hasn’t been a need, I’ve been using this on some windows for these four years and it’s been rock solid.

This project did somewhat lead to a much more robust creation by @blebson with his genius use of moteinos that could be perpetually powered by solar panels.

Honestly, I would recommend his version to anyone going to DIY smart blinds on SmartThings today. I have a few windows that have been going for over 2 years with his version, purely solar powered, haven’t needed a battery change or manual charge, and with a daily open and close scheduled.

2 Likes

Hello Expert C_Hobbs,

This code also work on modified servo motor. I modified my motor to make 3 full rotation for opening and closing my blinds. Please comment

Regards