SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat Scheduler (Weekday, Weekend) with Remote Temperature Sensor for each Schedule

thermostat
climatecontrol
temperature
smartapp_hvac
rboyapps

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #203

Say your app sets heat to 70 and cool also to 70. The device handler will put a 3
degree gap between the and set heat to 67 and cool to 70. This is how the
new ST device handler is designed to avoid thermostat conflict.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #204

5-2 Day Thermostat with Remote Sensor - Version 03.05.02

• Updated remote temperature sensor mode settings to be more compatible with newer thermostats
  • Honor user selected modes of operation even on fresh install/updates

(Scottie P) #205

With the thermostat being set to 90 for heat instead of 2-5degrees above the remote sensor, how do you keep the thermostat from turning on stage 2 of heating right away each time?

(Head of Support (rboyapps.com)) #206

5-2 Day Thermostat with Remote Sensor - Version 03.06.00

• Added option to enable/disable the thermostat temporary hold feature when using remote temperature sensors

Does the hold feature exist without the use of a sensor? I’d love to me able to tell the schedule to not run.

As it is now I’ve just created a hold temperature mode and don’t have the schedule run when I’m in that mode.

Thanks.

(Head of Support (rboyapps.com)) #208

It’s a temporary hold, so when the “next” schedule is due, it will reset the thermostat to the new settings.
The temporary hold is valid that for the duration of the current schedule, it will honor the users’s manual override and not reset the thermostat settings.

This settings is more so for when using a remote sensor since the app will dynamically change the settings on the thermostat until the desired remote temperature sensor achieves the target temperature. With this temporary hold if it detects that the user has manually set the thermostat to a particular settings, it will ignore the remote temperature sensor readings and hold the thermostat to the manual user settings until the “next” schedule.

Without a remote temperature sensor, since the setting is only changed at the beginning of the next schedule, if the user manually updates the thermostat it will act like a temporary hold by default until the next scheduled change. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, it does. I’ll keep doing things the way I have been. Thanks!

I dont think temporary hold is working for me. I don’t have a remote temperature sensor. If I manually set the temperature via the app or physically at the thermostat, this app will randomly send me programmed set temperatures. For example, I have my sleep section to run at 8pm but last night it also ran at 804 and 840.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #211

eMail us screenshots of your settings and we’ll check it out. Most likely it’s a settings issue.

(Paul) #212

My question might be a bit off topic but I would like to use the weather station tile as my remote sensor and then turn on or off a switch to control a pump. I only want the pump on when the temperature falls below 30 degrees but still be able to shut it off at certain times of the day (While sleeping) or at different times of the day so it does not run 24/7 for weeks during the winter. Can this 5/2 Thermo app do it?
If I select the weather station as my remote sensor and a switch as my designated heater then set a wake time (on) set heat to 30 degrees cool to 99
then set at a leave time (off) set the heat to 10 degrees and the cool to 99 degrees.
Will this turn on my heater when below 30 degrees until the leave time when it would only come on when below 10 degrees (not often).

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #213
  • Yes you can use the weather station as a sensor.
  • Yes you can select a switch for a cooling and heating applicance (don’t select the thermostat and you’ll see the switch options)
  • You can set schedules and to limit when to run them you can use modes (create a mode for your hub do when you want to activate the “switch” schedules) or you can use the external temperature sensor option with a threshold temperature to switch the mode between heat and cool if you’re using a regular thermostat instead of a switch.

(Paul) #214

Thank you this I very helpful. Just to verify, if the sensor temp is less than the set heat temp, the heater “switch” will go on and then off if above that temp. I have not chosen a
Cooler switch so setting the cooler temp at 99 should do nothing ( I can’t leave the field blank).

Thanks again for great apps and device handlers.

Paul

(Head of Support (rboyapps.com)) #215

5-2 Day Thermostat with Remote Sensor - Version 03.07.00

• Added support for setting decimal values for thermostats which support it (e.g. Celsius thermostats)

(Head of Support (rboyapps.com)) #216

5-2 Day Thermostat with Remote Sensor - Version 03.08.02

• Added support for shutting down thermostat if doors/windows are left open
  • Added advanced settings option to enable battery saver mode (reduces verification communications, only enable if you have a strong mesh with repeaters especially while using remote temperature sensors)

© RBoy Apps

Use Temperature Sensor to start Heater?
(Woolfman72) #217

does mode change trigger the schedule if the mode changes after a schedule time? For example i have the away mode scheduled and a leave time set for 8am monday-friday but for some reason we do not leave till 9am one day. Once the system goes into away mode will it trigger that schedule or will it wait until the next scheduled change?

sorry for all the questions

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #218

If you’re referring to the 5-2 day thermostat app, yes a mode change does trigger the current schedule.

(Rusty Knabe) #219

For the advanced version of the app, have you considered doing a runtime monitor. Something that would let me see the runtime for the day at a minimum.

I have switched from the wifi version of the thermostat to the zwave one, and the one thing I miss in the RadioThermostat mobile app is the runtime reports that are available.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #220

That’s a neat idea for the Thermostat DTH since it has an interactive user interface v/s a SmartApp that runs in the background with just a configuration interface.

Hello everyone,
New ST user here. First, thank you RBoy for putting out this SmartApp. To one degree (no pun intended) it is exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve been trying the free version before I commit to purchasing the advanced, but I am having an issue that I hope someone can help me with.

I recently purchased a home with all electric baseboard heat (woof!). I plan to change it out, but will have to suffer through this winter with it. Because it’s line voltage, I essentially had only one option for a smart thermostats. I went with the Stelpro Z-Wave Plus KI STZW402WB+. I have two of them in bedrooms. I have a brand new Samsung STH hub. I have created the SmartApp based on the code provided here. My problem is that it only switches scheduled entries correctly intermittently. For example, I have it set to start heating at 6am to 69 degrees and then to let it drop to 63F at 8am. Often times, it won’t switch either thermostats to 63F @ 8am. If i go into the SmartApp, change nothing, and simply hit “Save”, it will then switch to the proper temp setting for that time period. The behavior is intermittent. Sometimes it works as scheduled, other times it requires the “fix” I mentioned about which defeats the entire purpose. I have verfied my settings in the SmartApp. I have modified my schedule in the SmartApp. I have manually reboot both the thermostats and my STH hub. The problem still exists. One thing I will do over the weekend is look through my firewall logs to make sure nothing is being blocked. Outside of that, I’m at a loss and I’m considering going back to just plain old non-“Smart” thermostats. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #222

You’re welcome.

What you’re describing sounds like a typical mesh issue. Is the mesh is weak it can “lose” commands so it appears that sometimes it works and other it doesn’t.

The solution is to add a repeater close to your device.

It a very common issue especially with locks and thermostats. Here is a topic explaining the issue and why repeaters are needed even if the hub is close to your devices. (It’s for locks by applies to most beaming and sleepy devices)