SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat

thermostat
smartapp_hvac

(Dale C) #35

It is a weird non-consistent issue… right now with me it has been the SmartThings temp sensor? SmartThings is a hard one to troubleshoot when the system is behaving poorly.

(Scott Shell) #36

I’ve had a number of my Zigbee sensors (SmartThings Motion Sensors) fall off the network although I usually notice because lights or other things don’t turn on properly.

And a lot of my rountines are not working right (especially the one that changes the SHM state from Arm Stay to Disarm in the morning).

So far the sensor in my Master Bedroom is working right although it seems to be a few degrees lower than the Netatmo Indoor Module is reporting (that is easily adjusted however).

(Kevin) #37

SmartThings rolled back an update recently and it caused some state related corruption issues so it’s possible that removing the SmartApp and installing a clean copy will fix the problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to reload the app after removing it. Didn’t seem to help - one key indicator is the 3 Speed Fan app is still controlling the fan even in Off mode in the settings in the app. Should only work in AUTO I thought (and used to work this way)

(JC) #39

Hi all - I’m a ST Noob and enjoying adding all the gadgets to the house to automate everything. I really like this SmartApp and have been using it with no problems for my family room fan.

I would also like to control my bedroom fan with the same automation, but it seems only one fan is supported. Are there any plans to control multiple fans with this software?

In my perfect world, this app would allow for rules for each fan (Setpoint Temp, Differential Temp) that could be controlled by either the thermostat or (better yet) a temp sensor in the room where the fan is located. This might be beyond the scope of this project and I’m happy with the functionality as is.

I have added the app twice (renamed the second install) to control my second fan, but it would be cleaner to be able to control both with the one install.

Thank you Dale for sharing this code for the community!

(Scott Shell) #40

It should be possible to merely install a second instance of the SmartApp and select the other fan.

I have two instances of the app running that control a single fan in my bedroom and operate differently. (the Awake fan requires movement to operate and has a slightly higher set temp).

The sleeping fan doesn’t require movement.

(Eric) #41

I use this app and have updated the code to allow for multiple instances without multiple installs in the SmartApp list. Basically a parent / child app. I’d prefer to not post it here as I don’t want to hijack @dalec app. If he is interested I’d send the code to him. It is based on his 2016-06-30 version so no code overwrite issues.

(Dale C) #42

Thanks for the feedback. I will get a look into it because something has changed and I am having some difficulty getting answers on why from ST. I am troubleshooting a null exception errors in the app right now to see if that might be a cause.

[quote=“whoismoses, post:41, topic:47080”]
I use this app and have updated the code to allow for multiple instances without multiple installs in the SmartApp list. Basically a parent / child app. I’d prefer to not post it here as I don’t want to hijack @dalec app.
[/quote] Sounds interesting. Feel free to send it to me via PM if you prefer.

(John) #43

Thank you so much for creating this app! It works great. I have been using it for several days now. I was just wondering if, whenever you update it, to possibly add the ability to have this run during certain times and certain days of the week. Thanks again.

(Dale C) #44

I suppose you could do that using the mode setting? Create a unique mode for example called “FanRun” and schedule the mode to be triggered based on day and time using CoRE possibly then set the FanRun mode in the smartapp so the app only runs then.

(Michael) #45

I haven’t tried this out with the type of switch but cant you just use the
"Smart Lighting" app to schedule the fan to turn on and off like a light
switch during certain times and certain days of the week? I do this with a
standard GE relay switch to control my attic fan and the kids bathroom fan
and it works like a charm. An alternate approach would be to integrate
the control options from the "Smart Lighting " app into this app. Less
always seems to be more with ST to keep things working… and when it works
its awesome!

(Turuncuoglu) #46

Hi,

With this app the fan starts with motion and temp input but when the motion stops it does not stop the fan. I have set it up to 4 min delay but it will run forever if I let it.

Any ideas.

Thanks

(Dale C) #47

[quote=“turuncuoglu, post:46, topic:47080”]
With this app the fan starts with motion and temp input but when the motion stops it does not stop the fan. I have set it up to 4 min delay but it will run forever if I let it.

Any ideas.
[/quote] Can you tell me what products you are using for your device hardware: fan controller, temp sensor, motion detector? I ask because motion/temp detectors like the ecobee3 have polling delays.

(Turuncuoglu) #49

Ohh sorry. I am using a GE fan dimmer. I have smartthings motion sensor which reports the temperature and the motion part comes from a fibro motion sensor.

Thanks

T

(Dale C) #50

[quote=“turuncuoglu, post:49, topic:47080”]
I have smartthings motion sensor which reports the temperature and the motion part comes from a fibro motion sensor
[/quote] Thanks. did you just load this for the first time and have never been able to get it to run?

(Turuncuoglu) #51

Yes I have just loaded it. And it starts fine it just does not stop when the motion stops.

(Turuncuoglu) #52

Were you able to replicate this issue

(Dale C) #53

Yes, I did see it not turn “off” after the timer expires on motion. It goes
on correctly but not off. That part of the code was right out of
SmartThings original thermostat app it seems you found a bug in their code.

I am sending a request in to them for assistance.

Dale Coffing

(Turuncuoglu) #54

Thanks for the update. Cheers

(JStrott) #55

Does this Smart App override all manual inputs?