[DEPRECIATED] Network Connected Ambient Weather Station V6

@SGrayban

I have read through 100’s of threads on AT Community AT Forum asking Action Tiles to add simple enhancements to AT tiles and/or adding additional ST capabilities/attributes. IMHO, AT is not receptive to many of the user requests (weather, camera, formatting, layout, etc) and they state that they have limited developers resources to handle such users requests unless a large population of the AT base demand it. :rofl:

So, we are stuck with shimming the existing SmartThings Weather Tile and with WU API being dropped from ST, this really through a monkey wrench in the whole AT integration with Ambient I had previously documented.

Feel Free to have a PM with Terry!

I have an ambient weather station with one outside sensor that reports temp and rh. I am getting this error once setup. I think it may be due to not having a wind speed sensor?

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:22 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toFloat() on null object @line 586 (degToCompass)

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:21 AM: info Ambient Weather Station Reporter: Executing ‘Refresh Routine’ every: 2 min(s)

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:20 AM: info Executing API Weather Forecast, Sunrise, Sunset Info for zipCode: 99224

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:20 AM: info SmartApp Section: Refresh

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:20 AM: info Executing API Weather Forecast, Sunrise, Sunset Info for zipCode: 99224

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:56:20 AM: info SmartApp Section: Refresh

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Updated Section: End

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info initialize Section: End

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Device Label/Name Pref Match: Name: Ambient - NOS = Label: Ambient - NOS == Pref Label: Ambient - NOS -> NO CHANGE

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Verified Remote Sensor #1 of 1 Exists: Ambient - NOS = DNI: remoteTempfHumiditySensorName1

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Device Label/Name Pref Match: Name: Ambient - LR = Label: Ambient - LR == Pref Label: Ambient - LR -> NO CHANGE

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Verified Remote Sensor #0 of 1 Exists: Ambient - LR = DNI: remoteTempfHumiditySensorName0

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Verified Weather Station ‘Bridlewood TS’ = DNI: ‘MyAmbientWeatherStationV3’

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info initialize Section: Start

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Updated Section: Start

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Verified Weather Station ‘Bridlewood TS’ = DNI: ‘MyAmbientWeatherStationV3’

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info initialize Section: Start

60338329-b243-4bba-a3ca-bc4901379345 11:55:16 AM: info Updated Section: Start

@Tobin_Smail . Yikes, that will definitely cause an error. I was not aware that such an Ambient Weather Station existed, glad you caught it! I was blindly assuming that all weather stations that Ambient had network connected reported wind speed, wind direction, humidity, temperature…

Can you tell me the Ambient model? I am assuming that this model also does NOT have the capability to measure Wind Direction and Wind Speed?

I am getting ready to release a V3.03 with some updates this week, and I can hold off releasing that version to add the logic to trap for your type of weather station and not cause an error. But I need some information as to the data it can report or the model number for me to verify.

The weather station I have is the ws-8482.

Thank you for looking at this

1 Like

You are correct it only report Temp and RH

1 Like

Here is the link to the ambient weathe WS package that I purchased.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws8482.html

1 Like

@Tobin_Smail

Looks like you are correct, the WS-8483 only reports the following:

• Indoor Temperature Range: 32 to 140 °F
  • Outdoor Temperature Sensor Range: -40 to 149 °F
  • Outdoor Humidity Range: 10 to 99%

However the technical data sheet also states additional functionality:

• Monitor indoor and outdoor conditions, including indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity, heat index and dew point.
  • Supports six additional temperature and humidity sensors (TX-3110B) for a total of seven.

I will PM you with some information on this.

I do show heat index and dew point in the screen grab below, but they maybe calculated.

PM is fine.

1 Like

STAmbientWeather Version 3.03 Available for Upgrade

This minor release does NOT require removing and reinstalling V3. (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

After activating ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’ for the SmartApp and DTH’s, re-fresh your preferences in the SmartApp.

Required Files in your SmartThings IDE Repository (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

IDE Repository Filename Status
My SmartApps kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Service Manager V3 Updated
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 Updated
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 No Color Tiles Updated
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Remote Sensor V3 No Change

Change-log: Features

1. Converted all weather/location API calls to SmartThings supported TWC Weather/locational API’s.
    • Note: Version 2 of STAmbientWeather will not be migrated to TWC API’s. It is strongly recommended that one upgrade V2 to V3 of STAmbientWeather to avoid severe runtime errors.
  2. Changed current Weather Icons to SmartThings TWC API icons.
  3. Eliminated the need for a duplicate separate ‘Refresh’ tile. A manual Refresh of your data can be activated by tapping on the tile labeled ‘Refresh N mins’ where N is an integer which reflects the interval of auto refreshing that was selected in the application preferences.
  4. Added Moon Lunar Day & Phase to Weather Tiles
  5. Improved Weather Alerts to handle multiple alerts.
  6. Added longitude & latitude in display for alerts
  7. Added logic to avoid severe errors caused by reduced features/functionality Ambient Weather displays, like the Ambient Model WS-8482. This model weather station only reports inside temperature and outside temp/humidity values, but supports up to six (6) additional temperature and humidity only sensors (TX-3110B) for a total of seven reporting sensors.
  8. Several performance optimizations

Please let me know if you receive any errors, as my testing of this release does not include all Ambient weather station models and/or configurations that might exist in your environment.

Next Project:

• Modification of the ‘SmartWeather Station Tile’ DTH to display Ambient Weather Station Data and integration with the ActionTile™ Weather Tile.
2 Likes

This is working great! Thank you for you help in accessing my weather station!

1 Like

So far so good !!

1 thing about the weather alerts, font type is too small when it’s there. Maybe allow the use of a url link in the alert if possible.

@SGrayban,

Thanks, glad the new V3.03 version is working for you!

Wow, look at the different tile formatting between Apple iOS and Android ST mobile clients. The Android ST mobile client adds about 1" of white margin for no reason I can tell. I tried increasing the defined height in the DTH to a value greater than 6, but the Android client will not display the tile at all…:rage: I also tried changing the Android font size in settings and it has not affect on ST tiles.

Unfortunately, one cannot change the default tile font size ST uses in the mobile client and the ST TWC Alert API does not provide a URL in the Alert API for me to include.

I’ll keep thinking how to get around this tile display issue with the Android client, for now keep a mobile bookmark to your TWC Weather page where you can check out the details of the alert.

WOW what a difference between Android and iOS.

1 Like

STAmbientWeather Version 3.04 Available for Upgrade (Minor Release)

After activating ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’ for the SmartApp and DTH’s, re-fresh your preferences in the SmartApp.

Required Files in your SmartThings IDE Repository (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

V3.04 - Jan 13, 2019

My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 No Change
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 No Color Tiles No Change
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Remote Sensor V3 No Change
  1. Reset Refresh Schedule start time after a manual refresh from the device or the APP Touch. This will reduce the warning from Ambient and/or SmartThings for “too many http requests”.
  2. Added “up to 3 retries after waiting 10 seconds” when receiving “groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Too Many Requests”. After 3 retires, the app will only attempt an HTTP request manually or per the cron Refresh interval.
  3. Added a App Touch capability to refresh all devices from the Automations view of the SmartThings App
  4. Provided a unique run number and timestamp in the Live logging messages.
  5. Corrected the order of showing the dynamic message on the secondary control logic:
    • Feels-good <> Outside Temperature
    • Rain > 0
    • Wind > 0
    • Humidity
1 Like

Thank you so much Kurt!
I got it working on my Android (LG G6) with the NO COLOR mode.
Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Thank you Kurt, your app convinced me to abandon virtual weather station software, and the native SmartThings weather app; and switch over to ambient weather meteobridge hub. Everything works great and now I have up to date weather data showing up in my SmartThings app.
I’ve also created a core pistons to switch my thermostats over to heat or cooling based on out side temp, I don’t like auto, as I don’t need a constant narrow temperature inside.

1 Like

Look what coming in next STAmbientWeather release… this is for those ActionTiles™ users who wanted AT’s full weather tile displayed with their very own Ambient Weather Station data! It can be displayed next to the SmartThings SmartWeather Station tile for your zipcode. Soon, you will have your cake and eat it too!

Stay tuned, STAmbientWeather v3.05-βeta is right around the corner!

SmartThings SmartWeather Station Tile with a hometown zipcode displayed in ActionTiles™.

STAmbientWeather v3.05-βeta allows one to select a preference option to create a separate SmartWeather Station Tile device of your Ambient weather station for use in an ActionTiles™ weather tile.

1 Like

ooohhhh nice ! And this is from the AT panel ?

1 Like

Yes, those are both weather tiles present on my AT panel.

1 Like

STAmbientWeather Version 3.05 Available for Upgrade (New Feature Release)

This release adds the functionality to automatically create a special device for access within ActionTiles™ dashboard as a Weather Tile (See screen shot below). ActionTiles™ requires a paid subscription. If you are not an ActionTiles™ customer, it is still recommended that you upgrade to this 3.05 release but do not select the “Create SmartWeather Station Tile” option in the STAmbientWeather preferences._

ActionTiles™ Dashboard

Ambient Weather Station ActionTiles™ Integration

Required Files MUST be installed to your SmartThings IDE Repositories (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

My Device Handler kurtsanders : SmartWeather Tile Station New
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 No Change
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station V3 No Color Tiles No Change

Version Changelog and Important Information

1. Added a new STAmbientWeather APP preference option to “Create a SmartWeather Station Tile for use as an Ambient Weather ActionTiles™ Weather Tile?”.
  • When this new option is set to ‘ON’, and after SAVING from the APP, a local “special use” version of the SmartWeather Station Tile child device will be created with the title “Ambient SmartWeather Station”. It will only receive the required weather data fields from the Ambient Weather Station at the same update frequency as the STAmbientWeather APP refresh setting.
  • Please refer to the instructions on ActionTiles™ website on how to create a SmartWeather Station Weather Tile on your dashboard.
  • If one has already installed the SmartThings namespace SmartWeather Tile Station installed and reporting their local weather, the child device created by STAmbientWeather will not impact that existing device.
  • If one does not have SmartThings namespace SmartWeather Station Tile, you may choose to install and configure it separately so that your ActionTiles™ dashboard has both Ambient and local weather.
  • Do not modify the kurtsanders namespace SmartWeather Station Tile DTH or device as it is pre-configured to work only with STAmbientWeather.
  1. Added a unique Run number to each execution of STAmbientWeather in Live Logging.

ActionTiles Dashboard Builder View

1 Like