[DEPRECIATED] BitBar V2: Display & Control SmartThings from the macOS Menubar

Kurt, I see there’s another update but you haven’t posted anything on it. Do you recommend we update?

1 Like

Good catch @Nezmo. Thanks for keeping me honest!

BitBar V2 v3.13d Additional Checks for Color Capable Set Commands (3/4/2018)

** This minor version release is the ongoing effort to catch some of the nagging bugs that were introduced when BitBar V2 3.13 added support for color capable devices.

• Added additional validation checks for set commands to color capable devices which will resolve some SmartThings DTH’s that do not support selected common set commands; eg. setColor() and setSaturation().
  • In this minor release, one can inadvertently try to change the color or saturation level from the macOS BitBar menu, but these settings will be ignored when sent to SmartThings if the DTH does not support these commands.

** In a future release, menu SET choices for color capable devices will only display valid commands. For example, if saturation or hue is not supported, the menu will not display these.

3 Likes

I have updated to the newest version.
I get the error at the moment1

I think that means you have copied the web html version of the python code rather than the raw code of the st_python_logic.py …

Can you check that?

2 Likes

it works

1 Like

Hi @kurtsanders,

i added the device handler for a a button

now, i get an error in bitbar.

@NewHere17

Version 3.14 ST_Python_logic.py

It appears that this Hank One-key and Four-key Scene Z-Wave Controllers DTH does not conform to providing a device title attribute in the historical event log. Sorry this knocked out BitBar.

I have uploaded ST_Python_logic.py version 3.14 with better error handling to accommodate for this unexpected severe condition.

Please update your local copy of ST_Python_logic.py with the new 3.14 version on your Mac in the BitBar Plugins directory.

3 Likes

perfekt. thanks.

1 Like

I have updated, and everything looks good, but I see a sun icon next to dimmers, how do I get the dimmer value instead.

A few versions back, an update provided the device type emoji icon next to the name for dimmer an color capable bulbs.

The dimmer level along with the color values were moved to the submenu for that device.

I will need to do some major modifications to the whole application to designate that one would want the dimmer value included with the dimmer icons on the main menu. And if I am going to make that change to the application, I might as well allow one to customize the emoji icons selected for their dimmer and color bulb device types.

1 Like

Annoucement of a New Features Release (3.15)

BitBar V2 v3.15 Display Dimmer % Level Values and Additional Customizable Emoji Icons (5/21/2018)

• This minor update is optional and only required for those who desire the new features.
  • Both BitBar Output App and ST_Python_Logic.py must be updated to v3.15. Follow upgrade instructions in previous threads or the ReadMe file

** This 3.15 version release allows some additional end user customizations:

1. Added the capability to designate whether to display or suppress (default) the dimmer level % on the Main Menu after the name of the dimmer capable device. A True/False switch has been added to the v3.15 ST Bitbar Output menu Display Options section.
  2. Added the capability to customize the name of the emoji icon displayed for dimmer and color light/switch capable devices. Added new options in the “Customize Sensor Status & Type Display Settings”.
2 Likes

For those early adopters of v3.15, I have corrected an issue where some switches/lights were not being displayed in the BitBar main menu.

Please update the raw text version of ST_Python_Logic.py version 3.15a which is now in the STBitBarAPP-V2 GitHub repository.

1 Like

It use to be in the menu, I didn’t know if this update provided a customization option I needed to turn on to see it again. No need for extra development, everything looks great, thanks for your hard work.

1 Like

@pmjoen It’s too late :smiley:. Version 3.15 now provides what you need to get the dimmer % levels back where they were in earlier versions, as well as one can choose customized emoji’s for switches/color light device types.

Looks awesome, thanks for the update.

1 Like

Hi @kurtsanders

with the new fibaro door and flood sensor i get this error

Dear @NewHere17,

Bug Fix Version 3.16 ST_Python_logic.py

It appears that these devices do not conform to providing a critical attribute in the historical event log. Sorry this knocked out BitBar for you. It is hard to trap for every error when you are expecting device handlers to be consistent and follow the standards set by SmartThings.

I have uploaded ST_Python_logic.py version 3.16 with better error handling to accommodate for this unexpected severe condition.

Please update your local copy of ST_Python_logic.py with the new 3.16 version on your Mac in the BitBar Plugins directory.

2 Likes

Anyone getting this today?

Yes my Internet is up and functioning.

EDIT: Nevermind, a reboot fixed it. Something must have been stuck on my Mac.

1 Like

Just tried installing. Enabling the API keys in the App didn’t create anything in the live log screen, made it very tricky to hand copy them from the iPhone to the Mac. What am I missing?

imageMessages iOS-9-Mail-app-icon-full-size
One of the tricks that I employ for API key management is maintaining these long strings into the Apple Notes application which is automatically synchronized from my Apple iPhone to my Apple MacBook. I copy and paste the API string displayed on the Apple iPhone screen and paste it into a separate iPhone Notes page.

Once I have access to these long API strings on the Apple MacBook Notes application, I can copy the API key and then use TextEdit to paste them to anywhere they need to be inserted.

A second method is to send the API string displayed on your Apple iPhone (by coping it) to yourself via either e-mail or a SMS text message and then retrieve it on the Apple MacBook’s Mail or Messages application.

2 Likes