[DEPRECIATED] Network Connected Ambient Weather Station V6

Good job but wish it was a hidden device in the phone app.

@SGrayban, We think alike! :rofl:

I will investigate a ‘hidden device’ option, but I suspect that ActionTiles™ will not see the SmartWeather Station Tile device if it is hidden.

For the time being, just move the new device in another SMartThings mobile client room, perhaps labeled ‘Misc’ or ‘Hidden’ so it will not show up in the room where you have the other devices.

Congrats… if you haven’t gotten the email yet.

1 Like

@SGrayban

Yea!! :rofl:

Ed from Ambient support reached out to me about a week ago to ask if they could link to my application. This is great if others can get some benefits from their devices!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Just stopping back to say thanks for v3 :slight_smile: Installed it this weekend and it’s working well with my WS-1550-IP setup and 8 external sensors. You saved me some work getting the data out to Influx/Grafana and MQTT.

Thanks!

1 Like

your github account, kurtsanders, is missing!!!

1 Like

Dear @Moonshine,

Wow, that is some great graphs of your various temp sensors! Very impressive!

I am working on a major upgrade to ‘Ambient Weather Station’ (V4) that I have in βeta right now. The new release has some nice UI and functionality improvements over the ole V3 release.

As soon as I get a few more test hours on it, I will post it for general release, and you can upgrade to be on the latest.

I am contacting GitHub right now. Not sure what this means~

Your github account has been flagged.

Because of that, your profile is hidden from the public. If you believe this is a mistake, contact support to have your account status reviewed.

looks like it has been resolved… :smiley:

1 Like

The gitHub auto-policeman was trolling today and pulled over my account for ???

Ambient Weather Station Version: V4.0.0 (βeta) Now Available for Early Adopters Testing (New Feature Release)

This all new βeta release can be installed & tested without disrupting your existing V3 install. You will need to install ‘Ambient Weather Station’ SmartApp and 3 DTH’s from the STAmbientWeather βeta branch (See instructions below).

• Ambient Weather Station is an extensive change and adds many new features and options (See below). ‘Ambient Weather Station’ is the new name and supporting DTH’s have also been renamed to allow for integration with other ST developers, along with using standard naming conventions of weather data fields, and future ability to incorporate async http performance improvements.

ETA of βeta code into Master Branch: Feb 10, 2019

New SmartApp and DTH Names

• The old SmartApp name of ‘Ambient Weather Station Service Manager V3’ has been changed to simply ‘Ambient Weather Station’ for compatibility with ST naming standards which do not provide support for Version Numbers like ‘V3’ in the title.

• Old ‘Ambient Weather Station Service Manager V3’ Device Handlers (DTH) with version number suffixes in the DTH file names have been removed.

ST GitHub Settings for βeta

Name Value
Owner kurtsanders
Name: STAmbientWeather
Branch beta :ballot_box_with_check:

Required Files MUST be installed and published to your SmartThings IDE Repositories (Use ‘:arrow_down:Update from Repo’)

IDE Repository Filename Status
My SmartApps kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station NEW
My Device Handler kurtsanders : SmartWeather Tile Station Updated
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station NEW
My Device Handler kurtsanders : Ambient Weather Station Remote Sensor NEW

Requirements:

• Although a ‘Ambient Weather Station Service Manager V3’ installation can continue to operate along side a new ‘Ambient Weather Station’ install, it is highly recommended after the βeta testing, that the previous versions/files in your ST IDE My SmartApps and My Device Handlers be removed. Support, going forward, will be minimal in previous releases as ‘Ambient Weather Station’ is now the officially supported distribution and will include new features/bug fixes moving forward.
  • The ‘Ambient Weather Station’ files, from the table above, are the ONLY files you will need to install. They are identified from namespace ‘kurtsanders’ in your SmartThings IDE (My SmartApps and My Device Handlers’).
  • Ambient Weather Station Service Manager V3 cannot be migrated/updated to ‘Ambient Weather Station’ due to the new architecture and extensive re-coding to accomodate multiple instances of Ambient Weather Station nodes, new sensor types, SMS alerts, etc. A fresh/clean install of ‘Ambient Weather Station’ is the only way to migrate to this release.
  • Please remember to add your Ambient API key to the Ambient Weather Station settings.

Install Instructions

Updates/Features

1. Added extensive re-coding to detect and accomodate users who have more than one Ambient Weather Station nodes.

• Allows user to select ONE of their Ambient weather stations to install & configure.
    • Allows multiple instances of the App to be installed from the Marketplace to add additional weather station nodes.
    • Allows the user to name each ‘Ambient Weather Station’ instance with a unique name, where the default provided (and recommended) is the Ambient Weather Station name as defined from Ambient.net.
  2. Added option in preferences to send Weather SMS Text Alerts for user defined values :

• Low Temperature

• High Temperature

• Rain Detectedš

• Severe Weather

• šAlerts are hidden if the installed weather station does not provide a value.
  3. The Weather SMS Alerts are sent per user preferences for once every {1,2,4,6,12,24} hours.

4. Now sending imperial|metric explicit units of measure as defined from SmartThings Location Temperature Scale setting. Default UNIT is imperial, metric if user’s ‘Temperature Scale’ is ‘C’ :

• Temperature (ÂşF|ÂşC)
    • Wind (MPH|KPH)
    • Humidity (%)
    • Barometric Pressure (inHg|mmHg)
    • Rain (in|cm)
  5. Added Ambient Server DateTime to weather device tiles, which will show the date/time of the Ambient.net server that was responding.

6. Added a Battery attribute status icon for those select Ambient Weather Station models that return their ‘Good/Bad’ battery condition. Otherwise a battery icon showing N/A is displayed.

7. Added additional logic to handle the various Ambient Weather Station models with limited or missing weather attributes from the full functionality outside network weather models.

8. Lowercase dewPoint and FeelsLike internal variables to be consistent with other SmartThings weather applications.

9. Removed all dynamic background colors for standard & value tiles due to color display inconsistencies between Android and Apple devices.

10. Added detection of soil temp/humidity sensors as remote sensors.

11. Added detection of pool temp sensor as a remote sensor w/o humidity values.

12. Sends missing inside or outside temp/humidity values for the ST device with the suffix ‘Console’ from the remote sensor #1’s temp/humidity values, should they exist.

13. Provides an ‘(N Alerts)’ prefix to the main weather device secondary display message when severe weather is detected.

14. Truncates extended severe weather details to a total of 300 characters to be readable in mobile devices.

15. Determines latitude and longitude coordinates from zipCode preference for displaying TWC severe weather alerts.

16. Added new preference option to shorten or eliminate the base prefix name used for creating the ST weather devices

17. Added ‘Refresh All’ action function to both ‘Tile Last Refreshed…’ and ‘Refresh Cycle…’ tiles. When pressed, this will cause all sensor devices to be refreshed and the refresh cycle timer to be reset to avoid excessive HTTP requests error.

18. Changed logic to accomodate up to 99 remote sensors from API.

19. Changed w/m² to lux conversion to w/m² * 126.7 = lux to match Ambient 2902 console conversion. FootCandles (FC) conversion is w/m² * 126.7 * 0.0929. Formatted light values with a comma for device display.

Weather Station Tile and Details View

Multiple Ambient WeatherÂŽ Station Instances of Independent Operating Nodes

Allows for multiple Ambient WeatherÂŽ system models or geolocation instances

Screenshots of Device Attributes

Ambient WeatherÂŽ Station with multiple remote sensors

Weather Event SMS Alerts

Select the following events to send Weather SMS Text Alerts for user defined values:

• Outside Low Temperatureš
  • Outside High Temperatureš
  • Rain Detectedš
  • Severe Weather (TWCÂŽ Alerts for Zipcode)

šAlerts are hidden if the installed weather station does not provide a value.

Weather SMS Alerts are sent per user preferences for once every {1,2,4,6,12,24} hours.

The weather tile is missing for actiontiles now.

never mind… had to refresh actiontile panel builder

So I still don’t get any readings for the Power and Energy tiles.

Code in the ability to change the device icon in the smartthings app… the blank icon is blah !!

Dear @SGrayban,

Good suggestion. I have added the ability to allow one to change each weather devices’ displayed icon in the gear section of each device. Please Update all three DTH’s from the beta branch using ‘Update from Repo’ in ‘My Device Handlers’

As far as power/energy values, are you saying that you do not see Power and/or Energy options as shown below. They are ONLY present in the named weather device sensor (usually the Console) that has a windspeed measurement?

Or you see them in ActionTiles™, but you are not getting a value, like below (because there might not be any wind? I might need to check this as you can see I have motion from the wind sensor, but no value, perhaps the value is less than 1?

The latter. There isn’t any value shown for any speed.

1 Like

Dear @SGrayban,

Thanks for finding this bug in missing values for power and energy. I have made a code update in the beta branch of the repo and you can ‘Update from Repo’ the Ambient Weather Station SmartApp in My SmartApps and either manually refresh the tile or wait for next scheduled refresh. ActionTiles™ will pick up the windspeed as it did for mine at 1mph, assuming you have some Windspeed to report.

Power and Energy attributes are defined as numbers in ST but it appears that ActionTiles™ formats them as Integers. So a value of 1.3 is displayed as 1. At least we can see the value now using power and/or energy tiles until ActionTiles™ allows custom attributes like windSpeedmph.

1 Like

Working now…

So power is current wind speed and energy is gust ?

BTW wind speed does show decimals.

and below 1 MPH