Redundancy Poll?

Just curious, but do you have jobs or events (apps, rules, subscriptions, etc.) that you have set up that are redundant processes to try and help ensure that something else runs or occurs?

Don’t shoot me, I like SmartThings. I read the forums frequently (daily) and I see more and more references to redundant processes. Now I know this is in response to the reliability issues that have continually plagued the platform forever. I believe that this causes greater stress on the platform, which in turn causes more things to fail. My question is more for ST feedback (@slagle @jody.albritton). I think - I hope - if the platform becomes reliable, these redundant processes will become obsolete (hopefully people remember to remove them), and if it doesn’t these process will drive it into the ground at an exponential rate (due to the increased user base).

What do you think?

1 Like

Almost everything I have is event based. I have polling on my 3 nest thermostats and the Weather Station tile because they don’t ever refresh automatically otherwise.

That being said I have some redundancy built in - but mainly for me. For instance I have an evening and night mode. In both modes I lock the outside doors. Not because I don’t trust the system but because I may very well go into the garage, etc. after the evening mode has been activated.

Except for the last 24 hours the pollster app has been rock solid stable for me - I didn’t even know how to “restart” it before this morning. Once it got a “no available hosts exception” and another time it just up and went away without anything.

I think it’s the whole “chicken & the egg” thing…

(Some) people have found that adding this sort of polling is required, either because ST doesn’t offer it automatically or because it’s the only way to deal with items that require a refresh.

For example, if your front door is unlocked or your garage door is open is something that you would want to address as quickly as possible, rather than wait for whatever polling interval is default for the device.

Then you have the issue of the message delivery failures, which make the above items even more critical. If you have to wait 10 minutes (or 30) for ST to send a lock / close command to your doors, and that message fails for some reason, now you’re up in the air until the next cycle comes around.

So the logical solution – other than you going into the app manually and verifying that every item state is as expected, is to refresh its status and notify you if something is amiss… or perhaps take action at that time.

Again, it goes back to the way that the platform was engineered though. If you have the hub process all the polling / processing of item states locally and figure out where things should be, then mirror that status on the cloud / app, things might be better, but that’s not the way things are today.

1 Like

I have added a redundant time-based routine to lower my thermostat set point at night, because the primary time-based routine that does that is the one that seems to fail every couple weeks and I was getting tired of wasting money heating the house while I slept. The primary routine also includes a mode change while the redundant routine does not. I don’t recall the redundant routine ever failing. The morning time-based routine to raise the thermostat set point and change mode hasn’t failed for a while, nor does it cost money if it doesn’t fire, so I haven’t created a redundant morning routine.

My other automations are less critical (e.g., turning on/off porch lights based on presence/open-close sensors/sunset, laundry notifications, etc.), and for the most part they seem to only fail briefly and fix themselves with platform updates, so I submit support tickets to help ST track problem scope, but don’t try to find redundant solutions.

No duplicate events, but I have a pretty robust watchdog process on all of my schedule-based smartapps to ensure that they’re not asleep at the switch. It’s probably not creating the same amount of additional load as duplicate/triplicate routines, but its footprint is not zero.

I wouldn’t be so concerned. There’re probably only few thousand users who are sophisticated enough to implement some kind of redundancy strategy. Yeah, they introduce some additional load, but the platform is supposed to handle at least 500,000 users smoothly, if they’re serious about integrating SmartThings into every Samsung SmartTV.

2 Likes

Good point. But since things took a dump last night, maybe the house of cards is tumbling down. Many people added a few more today.

1 Like