Recommended In-Wall Switches (Mexico)

Hello Everybody! I’m new at HA and Smartthings but I most say I’m impressed on how easy it was to set everything up and start doing things. Now my mind started to wonder all the stuff that could be accomplished and it got me into a bit of a dilema so I would like to ask the suggestions from the more experienced users.

I’, checking out prices and deciding if I should go the way of Philips Hue or put In-Wall switches but if switches are the way, which ones would your recommend?

I have some “3 way” switches, like some stairs which you con turn on at the bottom or at the top of them. I also have a couple of them that have 3 rockers for controlling 3 different sets of lights.

SO which way to go and if In-Wall is the better option, which models wold ou recommend for 3 way, 3 rockers and some single ones?

Thank you for all the help you can give to this newbie.

I live in Mexico

We can get here anything thats sold on Amazon.

How about if I use those eco friendly FLC lights?

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with residential wiring in Mexico beyond three things

1. it’s usually a similar voltage to the US

Two) wire colors are completely random, so you have to test every leg of every circuit to know what’s what. It’s not uncommon to remove a light switch and find that all the wires are colored white.

Three) grounding is very different from the US.

Because of number three, I just don’t know whether US z wave switches Will work safely there or not.

If you feel that the house provides equivalent grounding for switches to US electrical code, then you will have a lot of choices.

See the following topic. The light switch discussion starts around post 40. :sunglasses:

Hopefully someone more familiar with the region will chime in.

Thank you guys for your comments.

@JDRoberts you are very right about wiring colors, its always a mess but you can always see what the current switch looks like and follow from there, As of grounding, usually any US working product works down here too.

I’ll into the link you provided and give me feedback here.

HA is growing in Mexico so I guess what I end up doing might help others.

1 Like