Really Need Cellular Backup

@Barkis how much is your monthly data usage on freedompop aircard?
I had it connected for 15 min and played with the app and it used 0.5MB.

It is a Verizon box (not freedompop) and, frankly, I don’t know the exact data usage. It is one of maybe ten devices on a family share plan…

I assume you have a wifi bridge for your freedompop. Can you please let me know the device that you’re using. I’m thinking of putting my ST completely on cellular as you did.

I use a the;
“IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter”

In case anyone is interested, I’m using a Draytek Vigor 2925, with a 3G USB modem as backup with enough data and bandwidth to keep ST responsive

Interesting router if you got the money. I assume you run this as your main router with the USB modem as a fallback? I have been curious as to how well these work. The problem I see is if the main connection fails over to the cellular modem that the bandwidth would quickly use up the allotted amount of data.

I don’t think FreedomPop offers a USB modem so there would probably also be a monthly charge for that?

Correct, and yes not cheap, but I use it for other features as well such as the VPN and the local DNS lookups…

My connection doesn’t fail over often, and would only really be an issue if you are downloading or streaming at the time.

I’m in the UK and managed to get a Pay As You Go deal on GiffGaff which gives you 200MB / month free, so costs me absolutely nothing, and gives enough bandwidth to keep ST going and to notify me of any outage…

But yes if you want to use this as a serious internet backup then you would need to get a plan with a little more data, although not much I expect… but then if you want redundancy you need to pay for it for a cellular contract or DSL/cable provider… (Or link to a neighbors wifi - with their permission of course)

Thanks! I will take a look at these options.

Yep. Reliable solution. Good .

thanks for all the info

we are in a new construction house no internet (cable) until May 2017
so were a ghetto internetting w/ Boost mobile mifi

I basically copied the above post
ordered a freedompop - seirra 803s - Sprint - so far not a fan
4g lte less than 10% signal strength
3g - 60%+
it works fine directly connected to my ecobee3 thermostat
and connects to any other device without issue (other than the speed is dial up slow)
I also purchased the Vonets VAP11G amazon $20ish
I set up and connected to the boost mifi glitch free
tried 100s of time to configure for the freedompop and it connects but will not pass internet(?)
so not sure what to do about this yet

and I like the battery backup idea so I purchased
Kans 10000mAh Power Bank With 3 USB Ports,Shared 3.1A Output, 2A Amazon $14.99
new problem - it only outputs power when wall charger NOT plugged in
so it’s either battery power out with nothing going in
or wallcharger going in and nothing coming out

I’ll keep at it

thanks again
Dan T

There are several routers with 4G failover capability. You could get a decent one and replace your current router like the Pepwave Surf Soho which is a 1700AC Gigabit router with 4G and WiFi as WAN Failover capabilities…
http://amzn.to/2i1YMCD

Or a cheaper one that you put between your cable modem and router.

More info here:

I do not run my device on 4G because the signal is weak, the same as what you experience. 3G is plenty fast enough for the SmartThings hub. One thing to keep in mind is FreedomPop is not authorized to run on all towers. For me the nearest tower is 2+ miles away. Finding a sweet spot in the house will go a long way. I live in an older brick home with triple pane windows with a heat shield. Brick seems to block a lot of signal. So does a metal impregnated shield in the glass so I have my equipment in a attic area that only has wood and asphalt shingles. The signal is very strong and has been working great for two years