Real-time SmartMeter monitoring

I know that there is a way to connect a PG&E SmartMeter to a compatible device from their website.

I want to be able see my real-time energy usage/cost. I have a PG&E solar account so not sure if that makes a difference.

Has anyone accomplished this with or without SmartThings?

A co worker just told me there is a device called emporia that connects to meters via zigbee. Its fairly cheap. Unfortunately it does not appear to work directly with ST, although perhaps, IFTT that could link it.

It will not be possible to connect any of these devices directly to smartthings because they are using a different Zigbee profile and they can’t belong to two networks at the same time.

That said, there is a method that some community members have used in the past. I just don’t know if it will work with the new V3 app or not.

1. Find out if your utility allows you to access your data via a rainforest eagle device (many do, including PG&E)

https://rainforestautomation.com/state-california-residents/pacific-gas-electric/

1. if so, purchase the rainforest eagle device and, with your utility’s permission (again, they own the network you’re going to be connecting to), set it up. This device will communicate with your smart meter directly but it also has a Wi-Fi API that you are now going to use.

2. use the rainforest API to pull the data into a logging service. Most people seem to use WattVision. You May even be able to pull it directly, I’m not sure.

3. now use a custom smart app and DTH to use that information in SmartThings

You can see what other people have done in the following thread (The topic title is a clickable link)

So… Some people have done it, but it’s quite a bit of work to get set up. And the device itself is about $100. So not everyone will be interested in it, but it’s probably doable.

1 Like