[OBSOLETE] Denon Network AV Receivers

Here the AVR-S920W is working, except the little rounded buttons (Quick and Zone2).

I started doing some looking into how to make Zone 2 work with this and I think I’m on to something. As an example the string to turn zone 2 on is:

{ipaddress}/MainZone/index.put.asp?cmd0=PutZone_OnOff%2FON&ZoneName=ZONE2

tested URL in browser and it works. I’m playing with the code to see if I can create a “zone2” DTH so I can have a seperate DTH for ZONE2 which would give control as it’s own instance.

1 Like

OK, thanks to SBDOBRESCU, with a little help from Samsung chat (who are excellent BTW) here’s the end to end guide for overly ambitious absolute beginners (I got my hub less than 24 hours ago).

You’ll need to have set up your hub, app and smartthings account.

You now need to enable GutHub integration. You should be able to go to “My Device Handlers” and enable it from there, you’ll probably need to set up and verify a GitHub account. If you don’t see an “Enable GitHub Integration” button towards the top right (next to “Create new device handler”) then use this link:

Europe: https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/githubAuth/step1

or hopefully 

US: https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/githubAuth/step1

You should now be able to:

• Settings > "Add new repository"
    Owner: sbdobrescu
    Name: DenonAVR
    Branch: Master
  • then “save”
  • “Update from repo”
  • select "DenonAVR (master)
  • select the device handler from (updated in GitHub)
  • check OFF “Publish”
  • “Execute update”

“SB : Denon AVR” should now appear as a Device Handler. Now you need to add it as a Device.

• Go to “My Devices” > “New Device”
  • Name & Device Network ID up to you
  • Type > scroll down to DenonAVR (may be at the bottom of the list)
  • Version > Published
  • Location, Hub and Group as per your Hub’s configuration (you may not have a Group)

Then go to your Smartthings App.

• Select “My Home”
  • Select DenonAVR (or whatever you called the Device)
  • Select the gear “Settings” icon
  • Enter the device IP
1 Like

Doh! Having done all that I think my Denon AVR-4306 (a 2006 model) may not be supported. The “DenonAVR” Device has come through from the IDE to my iPhone Smartthings app but none of the buttons do anything. I know the amp is working remotely OK because the web page control works (from the same phone as the app is installed on):

http://192.168.1.140/index.htm

Might have to Wireshark network trace what the control web page does vs the app:

I’m using a Denon AVR-S720W, with my HTPC (movies and TV shows archived and using Plex) connected to the HDTV via HDMI; Alexa (Dot) connected via optical audio cable; Satellite TV connected to HDTV via HDMI; the HDTV’s sound output connects to the AVR via optical audio cable. My issue is that I want Alexa to be “always on,” able to utilize the surround speakers at any time. However, if I forget to switch the audio output setting/button to “Alexa” (i.e. optical audio input 2), Alexa won’t be heard. Is there a way to mitigate this using the above IDE and ST integration? Has anyone run into this issue? I know I can use the multi-channel, multi-zone option at the same time, but I feel like this might be a “workaround” rather than the best possible solution
 Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I have the 4308a model and was waiting to see if anyone got this working on one/similar to mine. I will watch with interest.

Hello,

I have installed the DTH and created a Device. I can see my receiver in the ST app, however nothing works. When logged into the IDE and viewing Live logging I get this error for every command:

7:26:51 PM: error org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog. @ line 175
7:26:47 PM: error org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog. @ line 175
7:26:40 PM: error org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog. @ line 175

Any help would be appreciated.

JR, did you ever get this working? If so would you mind sharing your code? I realized the other day that my zone2 was on for several days. Doh! Would be nice to make sure it turns off automatically. Thanks in advance.

Never fully
as I just ended up using my harmony
however what was causing me the issues was near the end of the code it was using the IP address as the unique device ID
which I didn’t realize and it was driving things crazy with 2 of the same devices with the same device ID
I do think I might have some code that works at least for turning off and on but haven’t looked at it in a while.

1 Like

Will it work with AVR-S730H / AVR-S930H?

I am having trouble loading the device handler. I added the repo but when I click Update From Repo, there is nothing under New.

You first need to install it manually.

I’m slow today. I was trying to add it as a SmartApp instead of a device handler. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi all, just bought the AVR-S930H receiver. Installed the DH, changed the IP in the settings, but it doesn’t control the device. Any idea what I’m missing?

Is it possible Denon disabled web control? I’m getting 403 error when trying to send post requests.

This is what I see in the log:

It’s unlikely, as there are professional installers who are associated with them who would be out of business were that to occur. Certainly, Denon is not going to step backwards to RS232 or some proprietary cabled protocol

1 Like

Are you able to access this page (replace ip.address with your ip) ?

http://ip.address/goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXml.xml

No. I’m getting 403 error. I used POSTMAN to try and post the request you have in code, but got 403 as well.

Hmmm, looks like Web Control feature is no longer provided for the new Denon models

The Denon site says this AVR can be controlled by the “Denon AVR Remote” app on android or IOS:
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs930h

If that’s the case, then indeed it can accept Web Control. Because that’s exactly what the AVR Remote app does.

So to Maor_Levy: have you downloaded the AVR Remote app to a phone or tablet?
If so, does it work?

And one other question: do you have an older app also connected to the AVR, or have you established a telnet connection to it? If you’ve telnetted into the AVR, that connection will tend to persist and will block out other communications. Http commands are momentary; telnet stays connected unless you send a specific disconnect command.

1 Like

Yes. The Denon and HEOS apps are working just fine.

Update: I just got the AVR-X1400H and I get the same 403 error when accessing this path: http://ipaddress/goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXml.xml

I guess I can listen to the command over the network to see which protocol Denon is using.