Random on off Cree bulbs (October/November 2018)

Yup, I remember. So far so good though. I did a zigbee mesh rebuild with all my bulbs powered down, and then I readded them a day after.

1 Like

I have been having issues with my Cree bulb (only one) since some time in November. I just came across this thread.

I don’t know if the bulb is flickering at all, as it’s an outdoor bulb. But it does come and go as “unavailable” (mostly unavailable now, only seems to show available and accept commands shortly after I power it off then back on).

Is being “unavailable” a symptom of the firmware issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

I have three Cree bulbs, my biggest recent issue was with them wreaking havoc on my Zigbee mesh. I would unplug them, and everything would go back to normal. I did a Zigbee mesh rebuild with the bulbs unplugged, and everything went back to being rock solid. I also has some issues with them randomly turning on after the firmware update as well. I emailed Cree for advise, and without me even asking they have offered to send out replacement bulbs, and the are even including a return label for the old bulbs. I’ve accepted, but TBH I’ve kind of lost faith in the cree bulbs. Wondering if it would be better to sell the three new bulbs and replace them with hue bulbs. I already have a Hue hub and some bulbs set up with Smartthings. Irony is these bulbs were the most stable thing on the network before.

P.S. Cree support is pretty amazing.

1 Like

Agreed. They were the most stable bulbs till this random flickering issue.
FYI after few email exchange, I am also getting replacements. Now i just need to find a spot where flickering lights is not an issue.

As far as reeking havoc on your mesh…these bulbs are ZLL (Zigbee Light Link) and other HA devices are ZHA (Zigbee Home Automation). In theory, ZLL devices should be able to be repeaters for ZHA devices. In practice, most of them SUCK at doing this and will just drop the message if they have trouble repeating it. For this reason, I have all my cree bulbs on my Hue hub (yes, they are compatible). The Hue system is ZLL and therefore they won’t run into the same problem there. Plus the two networks are independent so they don’t clash with each other.

As far as the bulb being unavailable, does your outdoor socket always have power (you’re not shutting it off with a “dumb” switch are you)? Do you have a strong enough signal in the area to reach the bulb? Where’s the closest repeater? As far as I have scene, the bulbs re-setting because of the firmware have not caused any of mine to become unavailable. It might be happening if your bulb is on the edge of your mesh and not able to immediately re-establish communication with the hub.

Same issue here. I have maybe 5 of these bulbs and the flash randomly though out the night. Very annoying. i was hoping I could just change some code and call it day, it doesn’t look like it though.

Just replaced all my Cree bulbs with new ones that Cree sent. Disabled OTA for bulbs in the hub. All seems well now- my flaky zigbee devices are back online and no more flashing.

Would be nice if ST would pull the faulty firmware so that I can reenabled OTA for all devices.

1 Like

BTW to replace all these bulbs without rebuilding a million automations, I used the “copy the zigbee network ID” trick in the IDE to swap new bulbs out for existing devices. Worked great.

2 Likes

To close the loop on my posting here … today I received my refund check direct from Cree.

Well, Cree sent me 15 bulbs after calling rather than emailing. My opinion of Cree has improved.

However, flashing continues on all new bulbs.

Does anyone know if a Wink hub or ANY other hub has this issue? My ST hub may find its way to the landfill.

The issue is with the FW on the Cree bulbs themselves. For example, some have reported the issue continues with the bulbs on the Hubitat platform as well.

New bulbs are okay until they they get the updated Cree FW. You can stop that Cree FW update by turning off over the air FW updates for Zigbee bulbs in the ST IDE. But if they update they are basically toast.

Bottomline, this is a Cree problem, not ST.

1 Like

But ST pushing Cree to provide new firmware that is issue free would go a lot further than each of us individually asking for new bulbs and turning off firmware updates.

1 Like

Did anyone here experienced the Cree connected bulbs flashing on/off at random for the passed 3 days? Getting annoying. Maybe it is time I start installing the remaining smart switches.

It hasn’t stopped for me A continuing months-long annoyance even after Cree replaced every bulb

How can I get them to replace mine? My Wife approval factor of these puppies is falling like the temperature.

Read up the thread. Contact Cree direct. But, unless you turn off OTA updates for Zigbee bulbs in the IDE any replacement bulbs will get the new Cree firmware eventually and you’re back to square one.

In case it’s not clear - the updated Cree FW is the issue folks. It crashes and that is when the flashing occurs as it restarts.

As you can see from my posts further up, I requested a refund and went with another brand. The Crees are useless with the new Cree firmware.

2 Likes

Call their support line don’t email Cree but call the support line they were pretty cool to work with

1 Like

Called them. Talked to a very nice representative named Shril. She didn’t hassle me and just emailed me an RMA e-mail for a refund and a shipping label for all of my bulbs. All she asked for was the bulbs’ model numbers.

Any recommendations for othe smart bulbs not including Hue. I was thinking these as the price is right. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hi guys,

Need some help.
Does anyone need the above listed bulbs?
I purchased enough to fill my house, and than decided to not use 5 bulbs since my wife wanted switches in those rooms.
I have boxes for most of the bulbs and they are 100% new(2 weeks out of the box.)
Does anyone want them? I can ship them out to you ASAP. PM me.

Has the bad firmware been pulled? I just migrated 3 Cree bulbs from Wink to Smartthings and here’s what I’m seeing:

• Current Version: 0x000001A4
  • Target Version: 0x000001A4
  • Last Updated: N/A
  • Last Checked: 2019-04-18 3:12 PM EDT