Quirky Tripper Support?

I don’t know why it happens but you can probably get the broken ones working by following what I suggested a couple posts back.

Thanks a bunch for this - working great over here.

1 Like

I have a couple of trippers that seem to go “out to lunch” after a door open and never report a door close. if I reboot the SmartThings Hub, they then start acting right again.

Any ideas? are we sure there is no way to poll them? I used them on a Wink hub for a month before I got tired of the 100% cloud fail that is Wink. But under the wink hub they were reliable when wink’s web service was working.

That sounds like ST is the issue here. I’ll have to watch mine and see if they do that and check the logs. I have some other odd behavior with contact sensors: the “thing” shows the correct state, but the dashboard “Doors and Locks” does not. :confused: The app is a little less than reliable at times.

edit: There’s not really any way to poll them. They have a very short window after a join or a physical event during which it listens for commands, but outside of that it may as well be off. There may be some more optimal configuration commands that Wink sends, but without documentation from them I have no idea what they might be doing differently.

If you want me to do any testing, let me know. I have no problem with messing about with my system to run tests or even experimental code.

Well… They’re pretty much on their way out of business. So if anyone is going to ask, they better do it soon LOL

If it’s only listening after a physical event then if you poll every 5 seconds from the hub there is a good chance that after a physical event that it will get the command. Forcing them to respond “I am open” or “I am closed” more than once will significantly increase their reliability. What I wonder is how long is that window after a physical event?

I have a couple of Quirky Tripper paired with my Wink Hub and they work flawlessly. They report very fast. If you know how to play with the code you may want to dig in and give it a shot.

That much polling will kill the battery life, though.

If you check the live logging when it’s acting up, check to see if there are entries like: "Parse returned [[name:contact, value:closed, descriptionText:Back Door was closed, isStateChange:true, displayed:true, linkText:Back Door]]"

See if those are showing up when you open/close the door. If they’re showing up in the logs but the interface isn’t updating, then something screwy is going on.

I updated the device type to support the new multiAttribute tile. A pull request has been submitted to have this included in the community repo as well.

I am tempted to try this code with the Securifi open/close sensor, which I have a couple laying around…Since both are zigbee I am hoping it will work out of the box, any reason why it wouldn’t?

It probably will work. You’d probably need to adjust the fingerprint info if you wanted it to automatically assign the device type. Battery min/max voltages might need tweaking.

Just picked some of these up today. thanks for the device type Mitch!

Having issue using new file to create smart app.

getting error

No signature of method: script14425138631181232252095.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14425138631181232252095$_run_closure1) values: [script14425138631181232252095$_run_closure1@4e1bda7b] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Are you trying to install this as a device type or a smart app?

Sounds like you may have published a device type as a smartapp instead. See if this clears up any confusion:

hi, How to keep hub in join mode. i am trying to pair to v2 hub. i am new to smart things. i am was able to pair GE link bulbs with out any issue. i am having issue with tripper.

i copied the code and published it. and tried to pair. it is not doing anything.

If you start the Connect a New Device procedure through the app then take the battery out of the Tripper, hold the little black button on the Tripper, put the battery back in and release the button the Tripper should try to pair with the hub.

I tried that. no luck,