Quirky GE Tapt Switch Device Type

Did they say how to enable this feature?

No. I called inquiring about something else and since itā€™s customer service surely he intends to tell me things involving their Wink software.

I just got off the phone with Wink and the Tapt switch CANNOT be programmed where the top button and bottom buttons controls separate lights. You can only program Wink robots to do things when the light is turned on or off. You are not even able to trigger the switch from the Wink app. Iā€™m assuming if Wink canā€™t do it, we wonā€™t be able to get ST to work with it either.

Bust.

I can tell you for sure, half of what you were told is at least wrong.

Their website says you can use it to turn on smart lights that have been turned off by the switch. This would mean their app can turn the switch on and then turn the smart bulb on. Also I can control the switch from the ST SmartApp.

Thereā€™s one guy that reviews his unit and says that you can use it that way.

1 Like

Does TAPT fit into standard ā€œDecoraā€ wall plate? Is it possible to use just as two button scene controller?

I think thatā€™s really the big question. Nobody knows what you can do with it in terms of SmartThings. As far as Wink integration, yes, you can use it as a scene controller of sorts because you can assign a robot to a button.

Manual Override if server connection fails:

• Tapt will actually revert back to a standard switch if two communication attempts within a few seconds fail. So, in an outage situation, you will be able to maintain control of your associated lights. When network comes back on, it will reconnect to tapt and put the device back to its smart settings.
1 Like

How did you determine that? Is there documentation somewhere?

The vertical rectangle outlining the buttons should be match your standard wall plates of the same shape. I was told this by Quirky when I inquired about it. One person in the Quirky forums has said they switched the wall plate for a different one, so you should be able to.

It was asked in the forums at Quirky and one of the designers from the Tapt team responded to many questions here: https://www.quirky.com/forums/topic/52063?page=2

I have read much of the information at quirky about the device. That combined with getting it to work as a normal on/off switch but addressing it as endpoint 2 tells me there are probably additional endpoints that can be addressed to change the functions. I have had no time to work on this or other ST stuff in the last couple weeks. Iā€™m confident that myself or someone much more skill will be able to get this device to have more functionality.

Hi Matt,

What functionality are you hoping to have that isnā€™t currently handled by the robots? I had hoped the top would have been an On/Off buttonā€¦not sure if that is something they can change later through a firmware update.

Right now you can trigger robots based on a top button press, bottom button press and whether the lights controlled by Tapt are on/off themselves (so if you turn it on by you app or a robot from a different device). I need to retry the Location feature to see if they got that working yet. Iā€™d love to just setup a robot for whenever I arrive or leave the house I can have lights turned on or off (at a set time frame). For now, I have the time frame setup for the other previously mentioned robot triggers available.

Hi joylove,

I havenā€™t had the need for a dimmer myself, but Tapt should be able to dim smart bulbsā€¦assuming all smart bulbs that can be connected through the Wink app.

Light Dimming:

• this feature is only for when smart lights are connected to the switch. Press and hold the top button will set lights to around 66%, press and hold bottom button will set lights to around 33%. The dimming level is also configurable from within the settings of the app.
1 Like

Itā€™s crazy just how pent up demand for a regular zigbee dimmer is with a few scene switches, and how badly wrong the implementations are.

@MichaelTaylor
I donā€™t use Wink, I use Smart Things. I have written a device type for this device to work in ST (scroll up) the only function I have working right now is on/off top/bottom. BTW, I do like the device @MichaelTaylor way overpriced compared to other similar z-wave devices. But I got them for $30/each on Cyber Monday. So Iā€™m happy.

@joylove I donā€™t have any use for dimmers, but I will get the dimmer function working properly for ST, the whole 2 settings thing 33 and 66 is insane, in my device type as long as the hardware supports it.

1 Like

+1 Smarthings user. Wink hub went back in the box after a week.

2 Likes

So I bought one of these now (they sell them at Home Depot). You select it to work in one of three modes.

-Smart Light mode: This mode keeps power on and the buttons become On/Off instructions for the smart lights. Holding the top button dims to 66% (by default) and the bottom to 33%. For me, the issue I had with this is how absurdly slow the Wink hub is in sending the commands to the Link bulbs. 6 bulbs sometimes took more than 5 seconds to turn off.

-Regular Lights mode: It will work just like a Wemo switch or something like it. Top for ON/ bottom for OFF.

-No load: This is setup for running ā€œRobots.ā€ It doesnā€™t send any power to anything.

The main I have with this is: Why not have the top button do On/Off smart bulb functions and the bottom bulb be a scene-type button. Also have double tap and long press functions too. Do all that and Iā€™ll happily pay $60 for a few more.

All of your comments are related to Wink.

Ugh, yes. I made the comment about the sluggishness with the WINK hub. However, since there is very little documentation about what this thing ACTUALLY does I figured I should post the options. It would be great for us to unlock those capabilities for use with Smartthings.

I promise to do some more work on it in the near future. I have been swamped with projects lately. I am so behind on personal projects.

There are far better developers than me on the community. I had hoped by showing that it worked someone would develop it further. But if they donā€™t I will because I now own two of them.

Your comments about how you have it working on Wink make me even more sure that we can have similar function with ST, obviously called different name but the same outcome and even more.

-1 is what I already found on/off top/bottom (with or w/out load)
-2 real dimmer function (with or w/out load)
-3 each button can be assigned to do something (no load attached) <- This is how Iā€™m wanting to use the device.