This SmartApp helps you see a quick status of selected devices by checking to see if at least one event exists for the selected device(s). I borrowed a lot of the framework for the code from @notoriousbdg’s BatteryMonitor SmartApp, so thank you to him.
I specifically wrote this app for myself to quickly find devices that all of a sudden stopped working since the last platform upgrade, specifically my Zigbee devices. I thought I’d share with the Community to see if it benefits anyone else. I’m not a coder, so please excuse poor coding practices!
If no events are found:
- You have a device that hasn’t been used or reported any event, like infrequently used switches. These may not have dropped from your network.
- You have a device that may still be working, like temp, motion, or humidity sensors, but has dropped of your network for some reason.
- SmartThings only keeps events for 7 days if I remember right.
- This app works best with devices that you would always expect to get some type of event - like motion, temp, humidity, Lux, battery, etc. but you personally don’t check up on that often.
- This app also works best with devices you frequently use, like wall switches, bulbs, etc.
This is still a work in progress, and enhancements to include @bravenel’s “Notify when no events” SmartApp could also be incorporated. That app is excellent btw!
I hope someone out there finds this SmartApp useful!
GitHub code: (apologies for the formatting, but it looks OK in the ST IDE)