Question about iOS app downgrade

I am considering making the switch from Android to iPhone.

One concern I have is Apple is much more strict about what you can and cannot install.

When SmartThings releases a broken version of the android app I simply install an older .apk file that I have backed up on my phone.

Is there a way to do this in iOS ?

I tried google searches on this topic but mostly found instructions for JailBroke device which I don’t plan on doing.

Sorry if this is too newbie a question but I have zero experience with iPhones so please bear with me :slight_smile:

Hi @Ron, I’m sure the experts will chime in, but Ido not believe you can. Once you have an older version, I believe you can hold off updating apps.

I made the switch from Apple to Android, so I’m curious why you’re contemplating Android to Apple?

Ron, I would agree with John.

The IPhone will tell you an update is available but won’t force you to install it. Many would advise that you not update immediately but allow others to try the update first then watch for posts either positive or negative before installing the update yourself. So far, I have never been burned by any updated app or IOS upgrade but others certainly have posted some negative experiences.

The problem with this strategy is that I may have a bug nobody finds and I am the first. So this is a problem. I have been the first to report many issue on the Android Side. This is a big problem for me because I have often needed to revert apps. Especially, SmartThings.

I am finding more and more Android apps are poorly written because developers don’t really test well. With iPhone there are less variations so it either works or doesn’t with Android all too often apps says works on Galaxy, HTC not supported etc

Also I have been watching some speed tests and although the iphone often has lower specs (lower memory, less cpu) it still runs much faster. I have an HTC One m7 and HTC has destroyed it with updates removing features like blinkfeed.

But as a developer I am worried about the loss of control. That’s why I have always had Andoid

I certainly see your point. As a non-developer, I have always been quite happy with my IPhone experience.

Android allows users a great deal more options when it comes to what they install on their phones. On the other hand, I recently read an article about how Google itself is trying to formulate a strategy for dealing with the OS fragmentation writhin that ecosystem which contributes to a wide variation in user experience with apps. With device manufacturers able to roll out updates or not roll out updates it’s a difficult environment to keep apps functioning well as they may have been written for the current android version while some devices remain on an older version of the OS.

This is exactly what has me considering the switch. I even decided to root my HTC One m7 in an effort to improve my experience and every ROM I installed was extremely buggy. One had a know issue that Mobil data didn’t work any more, that made that ROM useless. Another I installed would cause the play store to crash on any search.

My wife decided to switch to the iPhone 6s plus and I tried it and it is so much faster and smoother then my android experience. So perhaps I have to live with the lose of control and just deal with the fact that when Smart Things releases a buggy app version I just need to wait for them to fix it. That part will be difficult.

I’m surprised you couldn’t find it, it’s covered in a lot of blog articles.

In order for the first two methods to work you must’ve backed up your iPhone/iPad using iTunes on the laptop. They won’t work if your back ups are in iCloud.

But as long as your previous backup was on your computer, there’s a copy of the previous version of most apps on your computer. There are a few that won’t work because they will automatically update themselves or because there’s some data that’s kept in a cloud. But it will usually work.

So You know there’s a copy of the app on your computer, it’s just a matter of deciding how to get at it. This is where the blog articles come in because there are least two different ways to do this, and I think maybe three. Here are some examples.

If you get a “subscribe to blog” pop up on The first one and you don’t see a way to close it, just back off the page and come back to it it should be gone.

Also, note that you only want to use blog articles that are fairly recent, because this method does change occasionally.

The following blog article 1st covers the synch method, which is easier but you have to have everything set up just right, and then the trash method, but it doesn’t have as much detail as the previous one.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971543

And a third method which is really long and complicated and you should only consider if you don’t have a copy on your own computer.

And as others have said, you can also just postpone the update until you’re pretty sure it’s OK.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s overly complicated.

For android it’s click on any .apk file. Done.

I may have to reconsider this switch.

Given that most users will also do this it seems that it will take a while before you can be sure it has been tested. Someone has to be the guinea pig :hamster:

Should you decide to switch Ron, you can count on me to be one of the Guinea Pigs. Those little red circles on my screen trigger my OCD. Just can’t help myself, I download the updates right away.

2 Likes

OK @PhilB I pulled the trigger. I have switched to iPhone. I expect you to test SmartThings upgrades and let me know if they are safe to upgrade to now :smile:

1 Like

I’ll do my best Ron. The current version of the IOS app is working fine for me. I do have one Cree bulb that never wants to update it’s state (off or on) but I don’t think that has anything to do with the app.

1 Like

Most methods no longer work with some of the most recent firmware update Apple pushed out. But if you have a jailbroken device, try a tweak called App Admin (details). Hopefully, that will work in your case.