Product Changes for 2017

Managing two sites, one using both Vera and the other, SmartThings, there is a pretty big difference on the restore/migrate/multiple hub (on one subnet) situation. I have restored after doing something stupid using Vera’s backup tool which worked flawlessly. They also manage hub migration and/or using the old hub as a secondary hub on the same subnet.

I do like playing with SmartThings. That said, like all things computer related…I know it will break and with no restore/backup tool, I can say 100% I would replace with a VeraPlus box. Config backup is part of every networking device I’ve worked with in recent memory. With no path forward in this department, investing in a restore doesn’t make sense as moving to a different platform (with a proven backup strategy) is no more or less work!

Tim, this really should be a priority :slight_smile:

(Jonathan) #162

Rayovac batteries also leaked and made a mess on the bottom cover. These couldn’t have been more than 4 months old since this was a new hub. I took white vinegar and poured in the spots on the bottom cover and let it sit for a few minutes (until the fizzing and bubbles stopped) then rinsed it off with water and then cleaned the metal with a q-tip and vinegar. The cover is completely clean from all residue now like it never happened and I think I caught it before the springs/metal was damaged too much. Thanks for the heads up and telling us to check this! :+1:

(Bob) #163

I keep reading comments like the one above and I think 'surely you must have known to check these because of all the comments people are making '.
Then i think hang on, unless people are pro-active on here, how would they know that their hub could fail because batteries are leaking.
So ST. Isn’t it about time you notified everyone, you have their mail address.
@Aaron @slagle @Tyler comments please.

(Michael) #164

Ouch. Shoulda checked version numbers. Apple and Android still suck and Windows 10 on a phone is still the best.

Mike, the Microsoft fanboy

Bring back our one part time enginner and just make the Windows app a reliable presence sensor.

(Jonathan) #165

That is why I checked mine, because of the comments on here. :thinking:

(Bob) #166

Exatly my point.
If you don’t then you could be in for a hub failure, hence my last sentence.

RE: No migration tool from V1 to V2… A few months ago I ran into the problem that there’s no migration tool from V2 to V2. A system hiccough and I had to wipe and rebuild everything from scratch.

Inconvenient to be sure, several hours work. But not a disaster. Still, it would be nice if there were some people thinking about these problems at SmartThings.

(Tony) #168

Universal windows app is not for windows phone only, it runs seamlessly on all windows devices, including tablet, pc, Xbox, windows 10 enabled fridges etc… Therefore smartthings is not only giving up on windows phone, but on the entire Windows eco system… Could this has anything to do with Microsoft being rumoured to be developing there own IoT controller platform as part on windows 10 and future Cortana AI powered “home hub” ???

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #169

Microsoft’s intended moves into IoT/Smart Home through various channels is definitely more than a rumour as far as I know, though don’t ask me to find a source.

NVIDIA’s partnership with SmartThings (via the “NVIDIA Shield as SmartThings Hub” announced at CES 2017) is a one countering move, I would speculate as well.

(Cris D) #170

I think Microsoft is trying IOT through Alljoyn.

(Will) #171

Holy cow, my batteries were leaking as well. Thanks to all who posted that could have gotten ugly! I removed them and cleaned it out, hopefully no real damage!

Again thanks to all who took the time to post about it, I would have never thought to check!!!

(Doug) #172

My Rayovacs are also leaking all over the place. There were fine about a month or so ago. Certainly looks like a hub problem somewhere… I’ve had backup batteries for years in other devices (carbon monoxide detectors, etc.) that normally run off mains power and never leak.

I setup my hub after Christmas with some fresh Duracell batteries. I checked my hub after reading this thread and they leaked significantly. I just removed them for now, think I’m going to look for a UPS solution.

(Wayne) #174

Please raise a support call and help quash any ideas that Smartthings have that this is due to batteries being left in for too long and that this is normal.

(Paul) #175

Just received.

Hello,

On Monday, January 30, between 4:00 pm GMT and 7:00 pm GMT, we will automatically update your SmartThings Hub to the latest firmware (version 0.16.12). The update is expected to take less than 10 minutes, during which time your SmartThings Hub will temporarily go offline and events scheduled for this time will not be processed.

This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform, fixes an issue causing Hub backup batteries to drain faster than expected, addresses a Hub crashing issue when certain SmartApps are used, and adds capability to provide over-the-air firmware updates to Osram and Hue bulbs.

Thank you,
SmartThings Support

(Robin) #176

Yep… Just got the same email!!

Wonder if ST will clean our hubs when everything settles down?

(Paul) #177

Anyone on the US shards got this yet or are the EU guys the gineu pigs? :smile:

(JBrown) #178

In the U.S. just received the e-mail.

Yes, same here.

(Sam G) #180

Just got the email too…I believe this is the firmware that includes the OSRAM firmware update capability (which I have been anxiously awaiting)…anyone know if there are any additional surprises?

EDIT: I suppose it helps if I actually read the notes at the bottom of the email DOH!

This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform, fixes an issue causing Hub backup batteries to drain faster than expected, addresses a Hub crashing issue when certain SmartApps are used, and adds capability to provide over-the-air firmware updates to Osram and Hue bulbs.