Product Changes for 2017

My Rayovacs are also leaking all over the place. There were fine about a month or so ago. Certainly looks like a hub problem somewhere… I’ve had backup batteries for years in other devices (carbon monoxide detectors, etc.) that normally run off mains power and never leak.

1 Like

I setup my hub after Christmas with some fresh Duracell batteries. I checked my hub after reading this thread and they leaked significantly. I just removed them for now, think I’m going to look for a UPS solution.

1 Like

Please raise a support call and help quash any ideas that Smartthings have that this is due to batteries being left in for too long and that this is normal.

3 Likes

Just received.

Hello,

On Monday, January 30, between 4:00 pm GMT and 7:00 pm GMT, we will automatically update your SmartThings Hub to the latest firmware (version 0.16.12). The update is expected to take less than 10 minutes, during which time your SmartThings Hub will temporarily go offline and events scheduled for this time will not be processed.

This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform, fixes an issue causing Hub backup batteries to drain faster than expected, addresses a Hub crashing issue when certain SmartApps are used, and adds capability to provide over-the-air firmware updates to Osram and Hue bulbs.

Thank you,
SmartThings Support

2 Likes

Anyone on the US shards got this yet or are the EU guys the gineu pigs? :smile:

In the U.S. just received the e-mail.

2 Likes

Yes, same here.

2 Likes

Just got the email too…I believe this is the firmware that includes the OSRAM firmware update capability (which I have been anxiously awaiting)…anyone know if there are any additional surprises?

EDIT: I suppose it helps if I actually read the notes at the bottom of the email DOH!

This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform, fixes an issue causing Hub backup batteries to drain faster than expected, addresses a Hub crashing issue when certain SmartApps are used, and adds capability to provide over-the-air firmware updates to Osram and Hue bulbs.

Are they doing warranty replacements for this? I don’t want to replace the hub but the batteries have leaked so much (months ago, the original Rayovacs) that I won’t even put new batteries in my hub.

1 Like

This has the same version number as the beta that came out a few weeks ago to give Osram updating. I’ve had no issues with it. I can’t speak for the battery issue, because I took mine out a long time ago.

Replacing the hub requires to scrap your entire install and start from scratch as there is no backup/restore functionally with ST.

1 Like

Apparently they skipped .12 & went to .13

Opened up my Hub and there was the leaking batteries. Wasn’t that bad. I got a wire brush, cleaned off the connectors, disposed the batteries and put in 4 new Duracells.

I am guessing that I don’t have to worry about the batteries leaking anymore?..

Worry, but hope they don’t…I’ll wait a few months for any further reports. Hub is on a UPS but redundant backups are nice…

Hmm…maybe I’ll just take them out. Been looking at getting an UPS. Seems like now is the ideal time.

Equipment:

Pi3, router, 8-port switch, alarm panel, DVR.

What do you suggest?

Tim,
When is this to rollout. I noticed my hub is still at 16.09 and not 16.13.

Happening now. Just wait a little.

1 Like

DVR power draw? Assuming 100w or so, with those other devices you could get 4-6 hours out of a 1000va unit. a 1500va unit might get you 8-10, there are calcs online that you can plug draw of each device into and they’ll help you out.

Big thing to remember is the cost to replace in 3-5 years, a bigger unit isn’t always better, batteries are the most expensive part of a UPS. A couple smaller units spread around your gear can cost less for similar run time than a single bigger unit. And don’t buy Cyberpower. Eaton and APC generally are built the best.

Not sure how you are calculating those run-times, my (brand new) 1300VA APC says on the display that the load is 42W and expected run time is 90 min. I wish it was 8-10 hours!

Edit: 1300VA, not 1500…