Product Changes for 2017

How odd then that I’ve had all of these other devices with battery backups for so many years that have never exhibited this behavior.

4 Likes

Just beyond 6 months but me too. Although I find Rayovac leak way too often. Last pack I’ll buy. . .although it was 60 batteries so I’ve got a ways to go.

1 Like

What about TV remotes and other electronic devices… This appears to be a ST issue at the moment to me at least

Rick

1 Like

Just checked mine. Rayovac leaking.

I had the batteries out after the last firmware update caused issues. No issues then. Just checked and sure enough leaking.

I did have a 2 hour power cut at the weekend but there usage shouldn’t result in this.

Ticket logged.

2 Likes

I think this issue here is that batteries start to leak most noticeably when they are dead. When the batteries in your tv remote die, you know about it (because the remote stops working). The only time I’ve seen batteries leak in TV remotes are in the remotes that sit in my drawer unused.

I don’t have a v2 hub, but I don’t think there is any alert that the batteries are dead, correct?

I just want to point out that my hard wired Nest Protects are 4 years old and still have plenty of battery life left in their traditional alcaline batteries. No leaking. I checked because of this thread! So there is nothing inherent to the hard wired/battery backup design that should cause this. I think ST has some engineering to do here.

2 Likes

Our team is aware of the issue and is actively working on a solution. We will share further updates as soon as possible.

13 Likes

Fujitsu batteries, in since October or November. No leaking. It certainly seems to be more prevalent with the Rayovak

Rayovac here in a hub v2 since December 2015.
No leaking here. Original batteries.

I just removed mine, then had a duh moment, it was plugged into ups anyway. I would have been very unhappy if it had ruined my hub and and to redo all 50+ devices/switches/lights/garage etc… yeah I am in the “there should be a backup” camp.

Managing two sites, one using both Vera and the other, SmartThings, there is a pretty big difference on the restore/migrate/multiple hub (on one subnet) situation. I have restored after doing something stupid using Vera’s backup tool which worked flawlessly. They also manage hub migration and/or using the old hub as a secondary hub on the same subnet.

I do like playing with SmartThings. That said, like all things computer related…I know it will break and with no restore/backup tool, I can say 100% I would replace with a VeraPlus box. Config backup is part of every networking device I’ve worked with in recent memory. With no path forward in this department, investing in a restore doesn’t make sense as moving to a different platform (with a proven backup strategy) is no more or less work!

Tim, this really should be a priority :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rayovac batteries also leaked and made a mess on the bottom cover. These couldn’t have been more than 4 months old since this was a new hub. I took white vinegar and poured in the spots on the bottom cover and let it sit for a few minutes (until the fizzing and bubbles stopped) then rinsed it off with water and then cleaned the metal with a q-tip and vinegar. The cover is completely clean from all residue now like it never happened and I think I caught it before the springs/metal was damaged too much. Thanks for the heads up and telling us to check this! :+1:

I keep reading comments like the one above and I think 'surely you must have known to check these because of all the comments people are making '.
Then i think hang on, unless people are pro-active on here, how would they know that their hub could fail because batteries are leaking.
So ST. Isn’t it about time you notified everyone, you have their mail address.
@Aaron @slagle @Tyler comments please.

1 Like

Ouch. Shoulda checked version numbers. Apple and Android still suck and Windows 10 on a phone is still the best.

Mike, the Microsoft fanboy

Bring back our one part time enginner and just make the Windows app a reliable presence sensor.

That is why I checked mine, because of the comments on here. :thinking:

Exatly my point.
If you don’t then you could be in for a hub failure, hence my last sentence.

RE: No migration tool from V1 to V2… A few months ago I ran into the problem that there’s no migration tool from V2 to V2. A system hiccough and I had to wipe and rebuild everything from scratch.

Inconvenient to be sure, several hours work. But not a disaster. Still, it would be nice if there were some people thinking about these problems at SmartThings.

3 Likes

Universal windows app is not for windows phone only, it runs seamlessly on all windows devices, including tablet, pc, Xbox, windows 10 enabled fridges etc… Therefore smartthings is not only giving up on windows phone, but on the entire Windows eco system… Could this has anything to do with Microsoft being rumoured to be developing there own IoT controller platform as part on windows 10 and future Cortana AI powered “home hub” ???

1 Like

Microsoft’s intended moves into IoT/Smart Home through various channels is definitely more than a rumour as far as I know, though don’t ask me to find a source.

NVIDIA’s partnership with SmartThings (via the “NVIDIA Shield as SmartThings Hub” announced at CES 2017) is a one countering move, I would speculate as well.

1 Like

I think Microsoft is trying IOT through Alljoyn.

Holy cow, my batteries were leaking as well. Thanks to all who posted that could have gotten ugly! I removed them and cleaned it out, hopefully no real damage!

Again thanks to all who took the time to post about it, I would have never thought to check!!!

2 Likes