Product Changes for 2017

Purchased mine Dec 2016… again, they weren’t Rayovac

Rayovac here and that’s what mine looked like. Glad I saw this thread. I’m just leaving mine out now, not sure what good the backup does anyway with very little local execution options.

2 Likes

My ST is running along with the PI and the router and the nas and the security system and the (why am I listing them all?!) off of a 1500VA UPS so it has no batteries in it. The UPS can run everything for about two hours when power is out…

1 Like

Rayovac here. Just checked. Horribly corroded. Took a while to clean off cover (no permanent damage thankfully) and even longer to clean the terminals. I put Duracells back in but hope this doesn’t happen with all batteries.

@slagle I have a feeling you can’t say but I am curious if the announcement is due to a newer version hub launching?

Thanks for the response!

For those of us who don’t stare at code for a living and/or understand Groovy, v3 should be for the stupid people, like myself. :joy:

1 Like

I just pulled 4 leaking rayovac batteries from my v2 hub as well. I’ve had it since the v2 hub launched.

I did the same thing just now from my 14 month-old V2. It’s a good thing I read this thread.

No leaky batteries, but then again I took them out when I first got the hub and had to do a reset in the first month. Didn’t put them back in as if I lose power to my hub, I also lose internet so I do not see the point. Not sure what make they were though.

Never put batteries in, so glad I did not!

That is not how it works at all. Each developer chooses which platform to target. It’s why Netflix UWP is available on PC but not phone. The same for Nextgen Reader UWP. And Sketchable. And Drawboard PDF. And tons and tons of other PC-only apps. Just because an app is UWP doesn’t mean that it is automatically available on all platforms. And moreover, it often requires extra UI design to optimize for the smaller screen unless you’re using only the most basic interactions.

As for my thoughts on the 950XL, I wouldn’t buy it in 2017, that’s for sure. I still prefer the W10M UI, and there’s a few small things I like better about Windows over Android. But I wouldn’t get a phone that even Microsoft has little intention of supporting unless it was under $100. And with more and more developers who are (rightfully) leaving behind their barely-used WP apps, the situation is going to only continue to get worse. UWP is not going to magically fix any problems.

1 Like

Well I stand corrected. It has always been my understanding from reading the Microsoft marketing machine dribble that was the whole intent of UWP was to make it more desirable for the developer so that his efforts didn’t need to be duplicated.

I changed my mind after reading some more. Took the Duracalles out. It seems any battery is at risk in the hub.

As others have said, if I lose power I lose Internet anyway. One advantage with batteries is faster recovery as the boot time on the hub is not exactly fast.

I thought I had mine on UPS anyway but after looking I only have it in a surge protected outlet, not a battery-fed outlet. I need to get an outlet saver to move it over as the only free battery-fed outlet I have is obscured by a wall wart.

Very glad I saw this thread. Thanks.

1 Like

I;ve had two hubs one with Panasonic batteries , no leaking and one with Rayovac , 3 out of 4 leaking…

My bet is on cheap batteries causing the problem.

1 Like

Just another thank you to everyone who brought up the battery issue in this thread.

#SaveTheHubs

i don’t use batteries, hub is not reliable enough in a remote location that you don’t need the option to reboot periodically . I put mime on a 100 ups and a wifi switch so i can remotely reboot it

as for removing smart apps that developers dont support… Most likely this is because YOU DON’T support developers , we have had requests to publish smart apps and device types in the queue for over a year with you ignoring us…

Do be sure you never use a “surge protector outlet strip” attached to a UPS. Only use “dumb” splitters because a surge protector can mask the load from the UPS’s sensors.

1 Like

Off-topic, but since this thread is how I found out and because everyone else is posting here…leaking batteries in a v2 hub here too. Rayovac in a hub purchased August 2016. Removed and will not replace.

1 Like

Ditto, just checked batts. Leaking badly! They are Rayovac, purchased late Nov 2016! Seems like this deserves its own thread.

3 Likes
6 Likes