SmartThings Community

Problem with False Alarms

(Jimmy) #21

The ST branded sensors don’t have a good reputation for being reliable. If you want a system that someone else sets up and trouble shoots, look into Control 4.

(Ron Talley) #22

Sorry, try “wait” in the the action section:

If contact 1 changes to open
Using virtual contact 1
First Wait 3 Seconds
Second Open
"Cancel on Piston State Change"<—scroll all the way down on the action screen.

But-If contact 1 changes to close
Using virtual contact 1
Close

Stays is in minutes but wait can be seconds. Same concept and should work as you need it to.

Ron, thank you.I kept getting an error for a while but after some googling figured out it was some sort of time zone problem and everything seems to be working now. This is great!

(Kevin Rzemien) #24

I find it VERY concerning that a whole thread is discussing a way to get around false positives in such a critical feature of the Smartthings system.

Please tell me I’m wrong, can we really rely on our sensors to not give false positives?

(Mark) #25

Unfortunately, no.

It’s not just the sensors, it’s also cloud gremlins that can sometimes result in false motion/open/vibration etc events.

(Lee Florack) #26

You’re not wrong. Not only that, but my personal opinion is that although I love my SmartThings implementation, I do not use it in any way that even gets even close to anything related to actual security requirements. It is simply not sufficiently reliable enough. I have a separate, monitored, professional, cellular-based security system for those needs. It has been rock-solid for many years. SmartThings hasn’t been rock-solid since even yesterday. It’s just not trustworthy.

Agreed. Although I only have experience with Samsung smart sense sensors, I can say that the system has not been 100% reliable. There has been countless false positives. I won’t invest in alternative branded sensors because Smartthings itself is flawed.

(Mark) #28

Many people actually prefer other branded devices. ST could still remain unreliable unfortunately. But the ST branded sensors themselves may be contributing to problems.

I’ve been using SHM for for over 1 year and I’ve not had a false positive yet. I set it every night, and I’ve only had a couple of issues, the biggest was the ST server issue last November that prevented me from being able to disarm. Obviously with this type of security, you never know absolutely when everything is ok…but I’ve certainly had my Duh-huh moments and it’s caught me every time.

I use Ecolink motion sensors (4), Aeotec recessed door sensors (3), Aeotec siren, Minimotes and/or Echo to Arm or disarm, Samsung R1 speaker, and a couple of Zwave bulbs, and pocket sockets. Sensors, etc. are all ZWave or ZWave plus.

I do something that maybe everyone else doesn’t…every Tuesday, I use Notify with Sound, (now Speaker Companion), to verify each sensor…every Tuesday with the first activity (once a day) on each device between 6:00am and 10:00am it speaks a message…” Den motion sensor working”, etc. for each applicable device. Generally, between that time I will hit all of the motion devices and at least two of the doors.

I always hate to post this, (for fear of bad karma or something), but for me I am extremely happy with ST. I often am amazed at the “power” (for me) that you have with a $49 hub (on sale), and $300 - $400 of devices.

I truly feel it is an amazing “bang for the buck” setup…and no, I don’t have any affiliation with Samsung/ST.

While I’m at it, Samsung/Smartthings has an amazing “bang for the buck (see $0)” with this forum and its members.

Again, my $.02

your success probably comes from not having any samsung branded zigbee devices

very disappointed that their own branded devices aren’t up to par with competing brands

Jordsjord, I’m now following in your footsteps. Looking back on the last year and a half, did your coding of a delay solve the false alarm problem?