Problem with controlling a roller shutter with smarthings and a fibaro switch (FGRM-222)

Dear Smarthings forum members,

I have a question about the usage of Smarthings with a Fibaro device that we want to use to control a roller shutter.

I have the smartthings hub V2 and a Fibaro FGS-222 relay switch.

Starting from completely closed shutter we want the switch to turn on and then turn off after 1800 milliseconds so that the shutter stops in the half open position.

When we first programmed the task with the rule machine plugin two years ago it worked but then after a SmartThings update the routine stopped working.

Now it seems like the second signal after 1800 milliseconds is not received correctly and therefore the roller shutter keeps opening without stopping in the desired position.

Can you help us and let us know how we can realise our desired routine?

Thank you!
Benjamin

Thank you Robin!

What do you mean with “Best to let the device run its own timer locally.”?

How can I tell the device to switch OFF 1800 ms after I turned it ON?

Thank you Robin! Actually I was wrong, I do not need to switch OFF after 1800 ms but instead I need to click ON again to stop the roller shutter. Basically I need to switch ON to start the roller shutter movement and then ON again after 1800 ms to stop it in the position I want.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Unfortunately that is how the roller shutter works, in order to stop the movement you need to push the same button again that you used to start the movement.

Actually it is not ON and ON again but it is UP and then UP again… I configured the fibaro switch in a way that ON is UP and OFF is DOWN. That means I need to turn it ON and then ON again after 1800 ms (UP and then UP again)…

Also I just checked again and actually the fibaro switch that I am using here is not the FGS-222 but instead I am using the FGRM222 Roller Shutter Switch…

I hope it makes sense :slight_smile:

Would be awesome if you could help me here to figure this out. Thanks so much!!

Hi, yeah sorry with all the stuff that I have set up with Fibaro devices I mixed up things… :slight_smile:

I have the fibaro roller shutter device outputs Q1 and Q2 directly going into the bus that controls all the shutters in my house (and the original switches do not go into the S1, S2 and L inputs). So if the fibaro sends a down signal then all my roller shutters get a down signal on the bus and go down and if it sends an up signal they all go up.

So if I use the FGRM 222 code flying around the community (Fibaro FGRM 222 - Roller Shutter) then the UP and DOWN features work great but my problem is that I want to turn all the roller shutters up (starting from completely closed) and then stop the movement automatically after approx. 1800 milliseconds so that the shutters stop in a half open position (so that some light comes in but they are not open)…

If I set up a routine for that in rule machine or CORE it seems like the fibaro device does not get the second signal or maybe misses it since it is too fast? (1800 ms after the first UP I am clicking UP again).

Any recommendations on how to have a reliable setup where every time when I run a routine it does the required use case (start the UP movement of the shutters and then stop it again 1800 ms after)? I would also be willing to buy another fibaro or other z-wave device if you think that would help.

Yes, it does stop when I press the button again in the ST app but only after a certain amount of time, if I press it and then press again right after it does not recognize the command. Only if I wait maybe 2-3 seconds it works…

Where do I turn off ‘command optimisation’ in CORE and what does that do?

Thanks for all your support!!!

I also believe the only option to have this work reliably is to calibrate the device and then use the slider.

The problem is that I think calibration only works if the device is connected directly to a motor that sends a signal back to the fibaro device once it arrived all the way up/down.

In my case the fibaro device is connected to a bus and on the bus I have all the roller shutters of the house… that means that the device does not get a signal back once the motors arrived all the way up/down and therefore I am not able to calibrate the slider…

Any ideas on how I can manually calibrate the slider and define the min and max values for the slider so that it knows where all the way up/down are?

I am not sure how to do this… seems pretty complicated to do the wiring here.

Would it be possible to manually enter min and max values into the fibaro device somewhere? Maybe in the device type?

Thank you so much for looking into this!!

It worked to run the piston with the test (22,18,2) command but then when I have the roller shutter run it does not stop after 18 seconds… how can I test if it worked to set the parameters?

This is what shows in the live log:

6704eae0-0c72-46df-9c61-d4ac421c28b8 11:42:52: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script1484810752125657476429.zwaveEvent() is applicable for argument types: (physicalgraph.zwave.commands.configurationv2.ConfigurationReport) values: [ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [0, 18], parameterNumber: 22, reserved11: 0, size: 2)]
Possible solutions: zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.configurationv1.ConfigurationReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchbinaryv1.SwitchBinaryGet), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchbinaryv1.SwitchBinaryReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchbinaryv1.SwitchBinarySet), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchmultilevelv3.SwitchMultilevelReport), zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchmultilevelv3.SwitchMultilevelSet) @ line 87

6704eae0-0c72-46df-9c61-d4ac421c28b8 11:42:52: debug Parsed ConfigurationReport(configurationValue: [0, 18], parameterNumber: 22, reserved11: 0, size: 2)

6704eae0-0c72-46df-9c61-d4ac421c28b8 11:42:52: debug Parsing 'zw device: 26, command: 7006, payload: 16 02 00 12 ’

6704eae0-0c72-46df-9c61-d4ac421c28b8 11:42:50: debug Updating Rollos parameter number ‘22’ with value ‘[0, 18]’ with size of ‘2’

Ok I installed and clicked the button 18, this is what it shows in the live log:

12:36:06: debug Executing ‘Motor Time 18’

What should happen now?

Nope unfortunately it keeps going up until they are completely rolled up…

If I do that it only shows this in the log:

12:39:58: debug Executing ‘configure’

jepp it does go until it is all the way up

Seems like the fibaro device does not get the signal that the motor should stop after x seconds

Still going all the way up…

Unfortunately I do not have any switches attached to S1 and S2

Driving me crazy since months now… thanks again for your help. Maybe it is just not possible to do this with ST and Fibaro devices