Problem wiring GE 12727 with two add-ons -

Just to help others and yourself. Take pictures of the original dumb switches while wired up. So you can see what wire is on the terminals, and where those wires go. Mark stuff as you unwire it.

That way when people ask questions you know which wire was where, and know how it’s marked.

Just my opinion and advice. Glad you got it working!!!

1 Like

Not a bad idea. I took tons of pictures during this entire process just in case I had to put it all back the way it used to be. I found it amazing that there is no youtube video showing this installation. You can find on youtube single pole and 3-way installations with GE switches but not a single 4-way installation. I might consider doing a video on the next 4-way switch upgrade I do.

Thanks Don

Problem is I don’t think there is any SET (one way) to wire house lighting. I don’t do it for a living just seems that way. Makes it hard for anyone to say take this 1 wire off and put it here.
It also doesn’t help that smart switches are wired completely different than standard switches. Makes it hard for some people to wrap their heads around the whole process.

1 Like

You’re right about differing wiring sets. I would present the existing diagram (like the one above) and then do the installation but be clear it’s only if your wiring is like the diagram presented.

“It also doesn’t help that smart switches are wired completely different than standard switches.” - Absolutely! I had a hard time wrapping my mind to that fact

Glad you got it working and hope you will find it much easier in your next 2 light circuits. Don’t forget about the “C terminal” :thinking:

1 Like

Really glad you got it working. The first one is always the hardest. Now instead of looking how things are wired I instead just look at what wires I have available and what needs to go where. Once you have line and load the rest are easy.