Pressure Pad Mat Questions

Anyone know which pressure pad I could get for one side of a king sized bed?

Under the mattress but on top of the box-spring. Don’t want to have anything on top of the mattress that might stick in a back or something.

Also… I seem to have much better luck with Zigbee in this house, which (small) dry contact sensor would I get for this? Like, as small as the ecolink/Aeotec ones.

There are several possibilities for the Mat. See the following project report (this is a clickable link)

As far as the sensor, you need one with dry contacts, but most of those seem to be zwave.

@JDRoberts

Thanks for the link but, unfortunately, I read that twice and didn’t see anything over 60lb.

A king mattress weighs around 250 lbs. So, it would have to be another mat.

2 people on it; with disbursement, should at least weight 350. Nothing I’ve seen comes even close to that.

I’ve been searching for 2 days now. If you have anything else, I would appreciate it.

Are you sure about the weight? Most of them are under 100 pounds. You’d need two people to flip one if it was 250.

https://www.furniture.com/mattress/guide/faq/how-much-do-mattresses-weigh

Anyway, I think most people put them under a mattress pad but on top of the mattress, that way it just has to activate higher than the weight of the mattress pad. But if you want one for under the mattress Itself I would probably look for motorcycle parking pad alarms. You should be able to find something in the right weight range.

I don’t know if this would be of any interest, but Nokia just started taking pre-orders for their sleep sensor. $99, but it does have an IFTTT channel that they are suggesting could be used for home automation.

Thanks! That is much appreciated. Saw the email about the thread update yesterday but didn’t have a chance to respond.

1 Like

I’m gonna resurrect this thread a bit b/c I’d like to see some traction going…

I received my Nokia Sleeps on Friday. As a data nerd, they’re pretty cool. From a smart home perspective, they leave a bit to be desired. Personally, I don’t (or didn’t, rather) have anything using ifttt. As of right now, that’s my only option for this device. So far, IFTTT only has 2 triggers for the Nokia Sleep – When I get into bed & When I get out of bed.

I’m hoping someone smarter than me comes along and integrates them a little tighter with SmartThings. I’d like for the system to turn off my TV after Nokia Sleep determines I’ve fallen asleep etc.

Anyway, to address OP, this device definitely fits on one side of the bed and definitely goes between the mattress & the box spring. The data is fun to look at, but smart home integration is still lacking.

1 Like

I’ve attached a screenshot of last night’s sleep in case anyone would like a glimpse. You can click on any metric and get more details on them too.

3 Likes

I’d also love to see some traction with this. So, to add something (hopefully) to the conversation, I found Nokia’s API reference. https://developer.health.nokia.com/api/doc#api-Measure-get_sleep

I know that someone with more programming prowess than me can easily create a SmartApp with a public API using OAuth through the IDE like Nanoleaf Aurora or Google’s API.

FINGERS CROSSED!

1 Like

I’ve been using my Nokia Sleep for just over two weeks and have been happy with it. Used my giftcode from the scale debacle to get it discounted. I was worried with my type of mattress that it might have issue but none apparently. Forced to go the IFTTT route like everyone else for any home controls. Right now it dims my lights if I get in bed between certain times.

Regarding the Nokia API docs, I only see them listing two previous products that are providing sleep info. They’ve got values to get sleep data from the Withings Aura (32) and from the Withings Pulse (16). Not sure the Nokia Sleep is in there somewhere.

Maybe that stray rumor of Google buying Nokia Health will happen and we’d get fuller integrations.

Edit: So other Sleep owners don’t get caught off guard, apparently something else entirely is happening:

1 Like

I’m buying two of these Nokia devices today with plans on integrating them and ultimately connecting them as triggers for the ‘sleep’ function of @bangali’s Rooms Manager app.

Step one - get device.
Step 2…
Step 3… Profit?

Seriously though I’ll post back here if I can figure out a way to connect them to ST.

1 Like

They have an IFTTT channel, I think that’s what most people are using:

Yeah, I think that’s going to be my initial entry point @JDRoberts. Probably IFTTT to control a virtual switch device then react to that device in WebCoRE, etc.

I expect it will probably give basic events but I’m curious as to how it will handle multiple devices and what the IFTTT lag will mean or if I will even care. It’s purely experimental and will likely be my summer pet project.

I’ll also probably start a simultaneous effort to create a cloud connected DTH, it seems Nokia has a pretty substantial and well documented web service backing the device. Someone might be able to build something akin to what was created with the Neato smartapp

1 Like

Update: I have basics working.

2 Devices > Nokia Account > IFTTT > 2 ST Virtual switches > WebCoRE (for device aggregation and timing logic) > @bangali Rooms Manager app.

1. it’s pretty darned cool
  2. works as desired
  3. IFTTT is causing a significant lag between device activation and triggering the v-switch that corresponds to the sleep pad.
2 Likes

hey someone actually automated the asleep mode. love it! :slight_smile:

now you need a ST native driver for the pressure pad.

2 Likes

I’m using this and love it. I have IFFFT flip a virtual switch in smartthings and run all kinds of pistons in webcore. Since I have motion lights in my bedroom it’s really great to be able to just get in bed and all the lights turn off without opening the app or hitting some kind of scene button.

3 Likes

I’m considering getting the Withings Sleep to Trigger good morning and good night routines. But I’m concerned about IFFT lag. Has anyone found a good way to do what I want to do with the Sleep product, without meaningful lag? I see a native device handler linked below but it may not support presence status.

I get less than 1 second lag between the IFTTT trigger and the virtual switch in ST. Works great.

2 Likes