Presence Sensor Event Overload

Since the upgrade to the new hub software has anyone noticed a lot of “has left” and “has arrived” events for their presence sensors? I have some apps that trigger lights to turn on when people come home and my lights have been turning on a lot due to a lot of false “has arrived” events.

maybe your “arrival sensor” departure delay time was set to zero in the new hub.

Thanks Eric

Is the departure delay tied to ‘mode switch’? I switched all my mode “false alarm thresholds” back to 20 minutes after the hub update.

However, the app in question is not tied to mode - its purely tied to arrival events (and the current day’s sunset time).

my usage is hubv1, and the old phone app refers to this delay as “action delay time (minutes)” in the “Everyone Leaves” requirement of “Goodbye!” action. I don’t know if hubv2 / new phone app calls this the “false alarm threshhold” (minutes).

In my case When “Everyone Leaves”, then the delay waits 7 minutes before performing “Goodbye!”. This prevents a fob from disappearing for 2-3-6 minutes and reappearing, and causing a bunch of unwanted action.

I do change mode with it.

I had the same problem with hub 1.0 and app 2.0. I use one to open a garage door when a car arrives and it kept opening the door all the time as it would continually think the car had arrived. In the end I turned off that feature.

Since switching to hub 2.0 it works correctly. I have only had hub 2.0 up and running since Saturday, but have not had one single false “has left” or “has arrived” event.

Thanks for all the replies.

It got so bad tonight that i just uninstalled the app.

Does anybody know of APIs that can be called to add in some hysteresis? I saw some that would return the last X events. Does that API call return time stamps so i can filter out false events?

If this is the Zigbee fob, Support can make some adjustments that may help, so definitely get in touch with them.

I have had problems at my house with the zigbee fob forever. It seems likely due to interference from boosted WiFi from one of my neighbors. So we’ve taken a different approach, as I’ve mentioned before, using two devices so we avoid the teleportation problem.

Here’s a quick look at a typical log for my presence sensor. And this is after support worked on it for about a month. I was home the whole time with the fob sitting in one place. You can see why we had to come up with a different way of handling it. :sunglasses:

Hey JD - very interesting.

About the same time as the Hubv2 came out I had to reset my router and it went back to the default WiFi channel (Channel 6). I usually have it at 1 or 12 to avoid other hotspots in the area (that i assume also default to Channel 6) but didn’t bother with it this time. I’m going to switch channels and see what happens.

Thoughts? thx!

1 Like