[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

It never finds it at all?

Did you see this? Solved his discovery problem.

1 Like

No, it says “Starting Discover” and the little hamster wheel just spins and spins. I changed the IP of the server to a lower IP thinking that the discovery does an IP sweep starting at the beginning of the subnet, have restarted everything

I use “Untangle” as my router, I will look for IGMP settings now, thanks

looks like Untangle is screwing me. So either i need to hard code it or I will investigate “WebCore to send a POST request to the IP address of the relay manually” as I have Core running…but no idea where to add this.

So according to Untangle they do not support IGMP. I have a Ubiquiti switch at the core of my network that does support it but changing it made no difference. I dont really understand IGMP but it does not seem like that would be the issue from what I read. Does the app, as part of its discovery just do a ping sweep of the current network looking for IPs the respond and then check for a response on port 3000? Is there not a way to set the IP of my node server in the code itself? Also, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get webcore to create an item that I can send messages to given that I cant get the device to be discovered. so if anyone who has made WebCore work with the relay service node WTHOUT needing to use the smartapp or device handler on the ST app could pointy me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I will make a feature request to be able to add the IP manually either in the code or in the ST App GUI. Regardless, this project and the hard work are greatly appreciated!

For anybody wondering, or struggling with the discovery process, you can ignore it if you set up the device correctly in ST. As an outline, the steps to do this are as follows:

1. Install the device handler by pasting as code into the IDE
  2. Go to the Devices section of the IDE and create a device for Google Home Assistant, following this pattern that I used:
    Note that your Device Network ID should be as follows: IP:Port in HEX, hence mine is 192.168.1.2:4000 which translates to C0A80102:0FA0 - you will likely need to change the 0102 section at the end to the correct IP, and you are probably using port 3000 (default) which means then ending should be :0BB8 rather than :0FA0
  3. You can now send a test command through CoRE/WebCore and everything should be working, without needing the discovery SmartApp.
7 Likes

@cjcharles

Thank you! The above worked like a charm, just like the rest of this project! I really appreciate you taking the time to create this project, it is so needed!

2 Likes

Actually, the Google Assistant Relay was created by @ghesp, but @cjcharles is a really good guy too. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yup, I can only claim minor credit! :slight_smile: @ghesp is the one to thank!

2 Likes

Well that was embarrassing lol

Thank you @ghesp for your hard work on this…you have some great folks helping out!

2 Likes

Anybody know where there’s guidance for Smartthings integration? I see in Greg’s initial post a reference to a guide made by Danabw, but that doesn’t describe how you actually add the repository and DTH. I’m an old fart, new to SmartThings, and am probably trying to run before I can walk, but I don’t quite understand the steps needed to get the Assistant Relay linked to ST. I’ve got Assistant Relay setup and it’s working great (thanks for sharing this Greg). Also have WebCoRe installed and having fun with that. Ultimate goal is to have it exposed to WebCoRe, but assume I need to add it through the Smartthings IDE first, correct?

These should help.

2 Likes

Really appreciate your feedback. Making me stare at that second link may help get me back on the right track.

I may not have shaped my question well due to my lack of understanding the fundamentals. I already had GitHub linked from previously setting up WebCoRe. The first post in this thread says, “you can either add in my repository to the IDE, or manually copy in the SmartApp and DTH from my repository.” That’s the step I’m hung on - as I’m not sure where to point to find/pull in the custom code. I assume that’s my next step to make SmartThings recognize assistant-relay as a device/thing.

I think I just need to know where to go to pull the SmartApp and DTH code, then follow the steps in Section II from the 2nd link you provided. Does this sound anywhere close to right?

Greg’s GitHub is here:

The code is under the devicetypes and smartapps links:

59%20PM

You can also integrate Greg’s repository into your IDE (if you’re familiar w/that, and I would expect you are from webCore setup) using the info below:

53%20PM

1 Like

Perfect - just what I was after. Thanks again! That got me on to my next problem, where it momentarily finds the relay, but stays in eternal discovery and throws an “Unexpected Error” message when I save. I see others have had the same issue so I’ll read up to see how to dig out. Appreciate your patience Dana.

NP…tons of help from others to me on more complex stuff.

This is the post to get around the SmartApp not discovering the relay.

1 Like

WebCoRe now sees Google Assistant Relay and everything’s humming along nicely. Thanks again for greasing the path.

Thanks so much @ghesp! I am a noobie to all of this, but with your directions I was surprisingly able to get it up and running on my Raspberry Pi 3 with no problems at all. I also set it up to run the service forever at startup.

Now, onto trying to create some webcore pistons…thanks in advance @Danabw for all your comments/instructions.

Can you please tell me how to do this. I have googled and found many methods but none have worked for me. I am a pi noob.

me too as a pi noob. Seems must have PI 3 for the working. I can see Google Assistant relay in WebCoRe already…