Powering Ring Doorbell without doorbell kit?

Rob,

Thank you for your response. Apart for the continued US Centric couple of replies from Ring, which have proved almost useless, I have received no help I’m afraid. I have purchased one of the Ring.com Forum site suggested Resistors from the US Digi-Key Company at a total cost including carriage of £21. Even having fitted this, it still has made no difference. Th size incidentally is almost exactly as you describe. I mounted it on a small piece of wood. I am a little perplexed by your suggestion of your Transistor. The model you describe, and shown on the B & Q site, is for fitting to a Rail on a Mains Distribution Board. Is this how you have fitted yours? I am looking to fit my wiring for the mains to my Bell Push from a Spur off an existing mains circuit. Can you tell me how you identified the circuit on the DB for the Bell Push. I suspect there must have been a pre-existing Bell Push and chime some time in the past.

Correct the resistor absorbs the energy that would be used to activate a physical door chime. @Rob_Greene if you dont have a physical door chime and you are not using the recommended resistor the energy has nowhere to go and will likely burn up your ring doorbell.

Its worth noting that the ambient temp around your ring doorbell (classic) will affect your battery performance/status. Due to the nature of lipo batteries, any temp below 40F will greatly reduce your battery life. Ive noticed my battery % will swing 20%-30% if it is below 40F.

Following up my initial response of yesterday to say that I have now FINALLY RESOLVED the problem. I grasped the nettle and telephone Ring.Com Customer Services, and immediately realised I should have done this in the first place, indeed the representative was extremely apologetic that he had not been contacted before?! Anyway, as soon as I described the problem - that I had wired direct from 240v Mains through transistor converting to 8v (and inserting resistor {superfluous}) but still showed as only batter charging. he told me what to do. Simply remove bell from mounting, and either loosen backplate (if too tight) or tighten (if too loose) with object of making sure connection achieved between gold connectors on back plate and bell. In my case it was to lighten, and hey presto, light came on around bell push, and phone settings showed hardwired. Brilliant. All the time the problem was in the Bell push itself, and clearly Antonio (the Representative) had encountered the problem before because he went straight to the fix.

Hi All,

I’m a bit confused as ring.com article says to use a resistor, and some on this forum says it is not required (i.e. superfluous) in the post above. While others say it is needed?

I am at this forum, because I’m trying to power mine (with no pre existing doorbel) with a transformer that is 10-50W and it does not seem to get power (all the time), just some of the time, i.e. it can turn full white for a minute, then off for 20 seconds, and back on for a minute etc… So sometimes it is powered, other times getting nothing.

Should I also use the resistor, or am I using the wrong transformer? Or both?
The transformer, my electrican put in, is 10-50W - http://www.clalighting.com.au/Product%20Brochures/Drivers,%20Transformers,%20Ballasts/ETH50.302VA_20161219.pdf

Also if I purchase the resistor, do I just connect it to one of the cables (i.e. in and out of one cable as per that diagram)?

Thanks for the help, I have also tried to loosen and tigten, and that has not helped yet either.

I just signed up on this site. How do I pm? Bought ring products today and will be purchasing more. Can you send me a pm? I want your code!

My ring doorbell ia hardwired and was working fine, but now everything works fine except the solid white ring isnt on and the doorbell chime doesnt work. Any ideas what could be wrong??

Hi,

In response to this question the answer is that the doorbell is trickle charged albeit in very small doses (approx) 10% per day however there is an issue here for users who have more traffic generated and therefore utilising more battery power.

I have contacted Ring to ask if they can add a feature or detail this in the manual, this would make things alot clearer for most folk as this seems to be a common misunderstanding, and nowhere online states that this is the case.

If they are able to include a variable trickle charge time within their next software revision this would be ideal for those of us who use more battery power than that of which is generated!

Hopefully this is of some help to most of you.

1 Like

I bought a resistor as Ring recommended.
I connected it as the diagram suggested.
I am connecting it to an AC transformer and I am not getting any power through to the doorbell.
Is there anything that I am doing wrong that it is not sending any power to the doorbell?

Hi I have same problem on my ring 2 video doorbell, having purchased a branded ring 240v 24vac adapter and also a resistor to find it won’t charge or show as wired, tried a few things but in the end rang the UK ring number, apparently after checking via my email registered to my device on that run when being made there is a problem in manufacture, and it won’t work hard wired. They have apologised for the inconvenience and are sending out completely free a replacement, once happy then to send the old one back, can’t get better than that. Hope this helps anyone else having similar problems.

I am clueless on how to power my bell.
this is my model. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ring-ring-wifi-720p-video-doorbell-satin-nickel-88rg000fc200/10389743.aspx?

I know nothing about transformers. Any suggestions on what I can use to plug this into a wall socket.

There is lots of information on the Ring.com site about wiring up your doorbell. The different models and depending on your setup require different ways of wiring them up. I have a ring doorbell 2. I have just wired it up to a beefy 24v ac transformer-old Hozelock Pond one(not that it should need much current). I chose 24v as I previously read that there are charging problems and thought I’d give it the best chance. I put a Radio Spares 25 ohm/50watt smallish metal cased resistor in series with one leg of the transformer. Being AC it doesn’t matter which leg you choose or which way round a resistor goes. The resistor simulates the old Ding Dong mechanical doorbell which i think it was originally designed for. Pretty extinct in the UK now but sounds as if the USA are still fond of them. I assume that when you push the doorbell 2 button it must present a very low impedance across the rear terminals-if not a short circuit -to ring an old doorbell. Thus if you only have a transformer without a resistor you are shorting it out-not good! Now! -does my doorbell 2 recognise the transformer-Yes! The battery life Green bar on my iPhone app shows a zig zag and hardwired is shown. So all well and good? No! The trickle charge must be minimal! We are having sub zero temperatures here in England at the moment and so I’ll have to see if anything

changes in the warmer weather. I might even get a 1% boost if no one comes near or pushes the button and I stop watching live video :joy:. Have fun!
I have to report several days after fitting the Transformer the charge suddenly went from 92% to 95%. I’m all excited now :slightly_smiling_face:

You can use a transformer for an alarm system, they typically plug into the wall. Make sure you get the resister that ring recommends to go in between your transformer and ring.

Hello, I am pulling my hair out how to fit a resistor does it go on the positive or negative wire and is it small enough to fit into the
door bell? Why can’t we just plug in a solar charger that ring does for the stick up cam?

Hi Mike. There is lots of information above and on Ring.com
If you are trying to power ring doorbell 2 with a transformer it has to be AC not DC so there are no positive/negative legs-they are both the same. A resistor(see picture above) is a uniform component and so it doesn’t matter which way round it goes. It is too big to fit in the ring doorbell. Hope you have some hair left!

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, perhaps I’m a bit worried as I don’t want to get the wrong adapter or for there to be a fire hazard. I have seen this adapter which appears to be safe https://www.google.co.uk/amp/uk.thepricemonkey.com/item/amp/dantech-da652-24v-ac-15a-single-output-inline-power-supply-with-internal-output-terminal-block-b01lzymyj1

Is this the sort of thing I should be using ?
Also done a lot of research and I noticed on one of the amazon reviews the solar panel used for stick up cam apparently works for the ring doorbell ?

Hi Mike. This is the transformer I was going to buy before I found my other one. It’s thermally protected-which is good. You just need to add the resistor and wire it to your ring doorbell 2 and away you go. I personally wouldn’t look into solar panels but that’s your choice.

Hi, I have the ring doorbell 1 is it suitable ? It looks massive though from the picture. I’ve ordered one of these solar panel usb type so will see if it works

Are u in the USA. I would think you’d get a lot more sunlight than the UK. If they invented some sort of charger for when it rains I might have been interested in that :wink:

I’m in tropical Wales :slight_smile: they don’t always need bright sunlight just day light to charge, have you seen the ring 2 solar panel they make in USA ? it fits around the ring 2 bell, however when I asked if this ships to Uk they said they don’t have a Uk version as we have a different electric rating, mmm not sure why that matters as it’s just solar anyway. Will let you know if the solar panel charges the bell. I am thinking of getting that transformer but it looks bulky for my hallway

How do you get the doorbell 1 back on it’s mounting plate if you have a USB plugged into it from the solar panel?