Power Switch that will Auto power on after power failure?

I am looking for a Smart Switch that will auto power on after power failure. I have this connected to my Internet Router. I recently ran into an issue where my Aeon Labs Smart Switch (DSC06106-ZWUS) had a power failure, so naturally, the Internet remained offline until I was on the same WiFi network in order to power on the switch so the Internet would come back online.

So my question is:

1. Can I do this with the Aeon Labs Smart Switch?
  2. If not, what would be the best device to get to be configured to automatically power on after power failure?

Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback.

You are stuck with a chicken and egg situation. Most rules for smartthings will not fire unless it iss connected to the internet. If you router is offline then smartthings will not fire most rules.

You may be able to get away with a local rule using smart lighting, that forces the switch to the on state. I would not bet my life on it working 100% of the time though.

I thought the Aeon smart outlet auto powered on when plugged in already. Why is your router hooked up to a smart switch?

I have this set up for a vacation home. I’m using the most unreliable cable provider there is - so I have a routine to automatically restart the router. You made a good point - if there’s no Internet connectivity, the rule will likely not be executed.

I guess I’ll have to think of a better idea or approach… But if anyone has any great ideas, let me know! :slight_smile:

Smart Lighting will run locally. You can create a rules to always check that its every 2 hours, so worse case you are only down 2 hours. It will be 12 separate rules though. There may be a smarter setup but I don’t see it, in smart lighting

You can double check locally run devices here: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

edit: clarifying each smart light is a separate rule.

Figured it out.

Create a Smart Lighting rule:

What to Control: Aeon Switch
What to do: Turn On
Select trigger: switch
Which switch: Same Aeon Switch
Turn lights on when: Switch is off

It would be easy to test. Unplug the Aeon switch, then plug it back in and see if it turns on. The polling should cause the trigger.

Awesome - I’ll test this out. Thank you!

After a couple of retries, I finally got things working. Thank you for the wonderful tip! I was so focused on the power switch itself and forgot that SmartThings could handle it without having an Internet Connection.

Thanks again!

Glad it worked out. ST can do quite a bit when its working right.

@desertblade How would you know if a device is capable of working locally? I checked and none of mine are listed though that snot a surprise as I have special device handlers for everything im running thus far.

I used to use a lot of special handlers, but recently went to just the standard for most. For example Iris motion sensor, works fine with the standard Zigbee motion.

Here is a list of all you locally runnable devices:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

Thats what im saying. My list is empty. Will anything that will work with ST and uses the default device handler run locally? Do you have to do something to make it run locally?

Everything that uses a default device driver will run locally. When I first started I used custom device handlers for almost everything, until I realized nothing will run locally.

I then moved them to either the approved or generic handlers. For most devices they work fine, but for some like the Schlage locks I kept them on custom.

I really wanted to keep most my lighting rules locally, and I have found them more reliable. So I focus on motions, light switches and outlets to use local devices.