Power outlet off at zero power?

Ok I have ST and Harmony Hub (no LT Remote). What I realized after setting up is that if the wife and kid use the manufactures remotes to turn on TV I noticed the activity in ST would not change from OFF to ON. I also realized in the LT app their is no way to determine if the TV is on or off. Question - So if the TV was turned on with the manufactures remote, I should not expect ST Harmony Activity to update from OFF to ON. Now I use ST “Watch TV [Harmony Activity]” which displays “OFF” and set to “ON”. The TV and cable box as per the activity shut both off. One assumption is that the command to turn tv power on and off is the same. So now I have ST displaying ON but TV is off. Hopefully I got all this correct, will try again when I get them away from the TV. What I wanted was to be able to tell if the TV was physically on or off. I realized the value in the LT remote so activities are executed and ST is correctly updated. But those remote are expensive. My thought was if I could measure the power draw when the TV was on versus off I could create a piston in webcore that basically said if power >x set virtual device TV to ON and vice versa.

Anyway feedback welcome. Thanks…

Create a LT activity that just turns device on and off. create the piston to monitor power drawer and set virtual device so I can actually tell if on or off. Should work?