Post Requests for LAN/WIFI Edge Drivers Here (community-created)

Any possibility of adding an edge driver for sony str-dn1080 receiver? This would be for basic LAN control.

I’m looking for someone to create a driver for my SureFlap Microchip Pet Door Connect. I used to be able to use the one on GitHub with limited success. Now Samsung has (as part of the ST migration) made this no longer appear as a device.

Here is a link to the product:

The pet door must use their separate hub. It works great and even has a programmable curfew and using RFID tags can control access in and out for each pet separately.

1 Like

These devices require polling a cloud (Internet) service. The home assistant guys have an integration here.

Under Edge, the ST hub can only access network resources that are on the local LAN. It can’t directly query an internet API. This is by design.

You’d need a proxy or some other relay running on your local LAN that would connect to SureCares servers in the cloud and relay the status back to ST. Similar services have been created for MyQ and other cloud based APIs.

Or you’d need to create a SmartApp that you host yourself.

Reaching out to the manufacturer to see if they would be willing to integrate at the cloud-to-cloud level with SmartThings is an option as well. Might be a good selling point for their products.

1 Like

Is this is true? I have yet to dive into Lua and edge app creation, but that would be a weird restriction.

Either way, the AWN console is local to my network, as the sensor is outside broadcasting to my local console, and the console receives that RF signal, displays it and also rebroadcast it out via my Wi-Fi network to the ambient weather network at large.

So then the question is does the AWN console have its own little web server that I can talk to?

Yes, its true. But a few clarifications. There are no lua based apps under Edge. Lua is for sandboxed device drivers only (zwave, zigbee, matter and LAN). LAN based socket connections are only permitted to local LAN addresses. Again, you can use a proxy to get around this.

It doesn’t look like the AWN console has any documented communication methods via http or any other protocol. If it did, the Home Assistant developers would have used it instead of polling the cloud.

1 Like

It’s actually not just limited to the local LAN segment. It’s limited to the RFC1918 private IP address ranges:

10.0.0.0/8 IP addresses: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
1 Like

There are no “edge apps.” we as customers are allowed to download custom edge drivers (the replacements for DTHs) but not allowed to run custom smartapps on our hubs.

You can definitely write custom smartapps on the new architecture, but you have to host them yourself, and they will connect through the rest API in the smartthings cloud.

See sections 10 and 11 in the community edge FAQ:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1 Like

I was summarizing, but yeah Bruce is correct.

1 Like

Ok this makes sense… as does the lock to private IP address ranges. Thanks

And yeah…but no. One more hop is one more link in the chain to break. It’s cleaner to just get a driver in there that does the work. I’m gonna start looking into this over the weekend - a lot of the responses of my devices are based on information coming from the AWN sensors in my backyard, so I’d like to get this functioning again

Was there ever any progress on this? Would be great to have.

2 Likes

Edge driver for netatmo wheather station would be awesome.

If anyone has a tip for co2 compatible sensor with smartthings let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please start a new thread for this in the following section of the forum and I’m sure you’ll get some responses.

In your first post, mention what country you are in, if you have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, and if so, which model.

But please keep this thread only for requests for community-created edge drivers. Thanks!

1 Like

hi it would be nice to be able to intergrate octoprint for notifications etc .
thanks
martin

1 Like

There are so many Tuya devices coming out now with new Tuya modules (BK7321 etc) that are not Tasmota compatable.

There needs to be a driver for OpenBeken that can be flashed onto these BK7321 chips which works like Tasmota.

OpenBeken seems currently only compatible with HA.

The other possible future option will be if Tuya does what it said it would, and releases a hub which functions as a “matter bridge.” if they do, then you should be able to add your Tuya devices to that hub, add that hub to the smartthings app, and it will bring most (although not all) of its devices along with it. It should be easy, simple, communicate locally, And not require any custom code. If that happens as promised, it should be a good alternative integration for many people. But it’s not here yet, and we will have to wait and see what actually arrives.

The Tuya “customers” mentioned in the following news release are the companies like Moes, Yagusmart, Zemismart, etc that rebrand tuya devices under their own label.

This is a good idea. With so many products in the smart home market no one company will every likely get to have a monopoly.

So companies that make their products to include the ability to easily integrate with others, that will be a selling point for them.

1 Like

Hello, I recently purchased jbl link music (wifi) speakers and I was wondering if there is anyway to use them with smartthings. I googled and came across people saying they had success (pre 2018 era). Please let me know if there is any drivers I can use. Of course these speakers have an IP… Mac… etc

@Mariano_Colmenarejo and @philh30 any help?

Hi @root

Sorry, I can’t help you on this

Does anyone know if this has been ported to an edge driver

Would be great to run routines based on mac addresses rather than GPS presence