Possible to control ceiling fan / light combo without having an actual switch?

Are you able to dim with yours? I only have dimmable bulbs in one of mine but I cannot get it to dim… With the remote or with the ST app… My two bulbs clearly say dimmable on them and the product itself says it can dim…

In the remote, there’s a switch by itself on the left side. Change it’s position and try to dim again, first by holding the light button on the remote.

If it still doesn’t dim, your bulbs may not pull enough power to dim from this receiver. I’ve tried a handful of different brands. Cree’s will not dim at all. I’ve had the best luck with the cheap Home Depot EcoSmart bulbs, although they have a range of quality (some hum) even within the same box. I think they recently started stocking a new model of the same bulbs that I haven’t had a chance to try yet.

You the man!!! That worked thanks!!

1 Like

@bradlee_s, I’m having an issue… I can turn my light on with Alexa but the remote won’t do anything… None of the buttons do anything… Power button on the remote won’t turn the fan/light off if it’s on…

The fan buttons won’t turn on the fan, etc…

I have cycled the breaker on the fan line and that didn’t fix it… I’ve removed the batteries and put them back in as well… It’s almost like the remote and receiver are on different channels…

Yea, seems to me like maybe someone was playing with the channel switches.

The only thing I can recommend would be to check the switches on the receiver and make sure they match the remote.

Replaced the batteries lol… That’s what it was…

Anywho, another question… When I try to control the fan speed with Alexa, she just keeps saying “Bedroom fan doesn’t support that…”

It will do light on / off and fan on / off but can’t adjust the speeds…

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Question regarding the Zigbee Hampton Bay from Home Depot, @bradlee_s and @Matt_Behnken… If I turn the fan / light on / off with the remote, it seems to not report the status to the ST app… Then it sometimes won’t even respond to ST commands…

Is this normal? Any workarounds?

IE: I turn my master bedroom ceiling fan light on with the remote…

I try to turn the ceiling fan off with the ST app and it doesn’t work…

Thanks

I haven’t picked that one up yet. The zigbee one. Would love to try it though since the bond has limitations. You could check the logs in the IDE to see if the devices is missing the zigbee commands.

When first set up, would the fan respond appropriately from commands through ST? The remote is actually RF, so will always work. But sounds like your fan is losing its connection to ST.
Do you have a Zigbee outlet in the room? If not, I’d consider adding one. The Peanut outlet is super cheap. Sylvania outlet can be found for $14-20, and works great as well.
Adding an outlet to repeat the Zigbee signal will keep the fan connection alive.