Possible to connect a Sensi thermostat

Does line 27 in the DTH look like this?

definition (name: “Sensi Thermostat”, namespace: “kirkbrownOK/SensiThermostat”, author: “Kirk Brown”) {

Yes, I didn’t change anything from the default namespace or name values that were provided.

metadata {
definition (name: “Sensi Thermostat”, namespace: “kirkbrownOK/Sensi Thermostat”, author: “Kirk Brown”) {

I did notice there were two files under the “devicetypes” directory on GitHub. One is labeled “sensi-thermostat” and the other is “sensithermostat”. I thought I had uncovered the answer but unfortunately I got the same results.

Yeah, it looks like “sensithermostat” should be the correct one. Is this the first time you’ve installed a DTH? I only ask because the first time I did it I managed to install them outside of any Location. I think that caused issues for me. I had to get in the habbit of choosing my Location (getting another sign in prompt) and then accessing My Device Handlers, etc. (I usually access the IDE using http://developers.smartthings.com)

I appologize if my questions insult your level of experience.

Nope, that’s a perfectly valid question since, yes, it is the first time. I did notice that I had two locations listed for some strange reason. I deleted the one that had no entries and left the one that had my home devices. I ensured that the smartapp and device handler were added to the correct location/hub as well.

Hey, I got it! Woo!

Turns out I dug around for a while and found that under “My Locations” -> “Installed SmartApps” there was some conflicting information. There were two versions of the SmartApp installed for Sensi. One was listed as (dev/ide) and the other was simply (dev). For those looking, there is a button in the upper right that says “Edit” which will allow you to remove these apps. Once I cleaned this up I went back to the mobile app. The “Thing” was no longer listed but I went through the process of configuring the SmartApp and it worked successfully this time!
Thanks so much for the troubleshooting process Tyler and hopefully this helps someone else.
The only thing I can figure is by playing back and forth between the app and the IDE I had gotten something out of sync.
In any case, I learned a lot. :wink: . Thanks again!

Works perfect so far! Thanks!

I can’t believe I actually did this! Thank you so much. 65yo with no programing experience at all. Your directions were flawless. I can see my Sensi and even changed temperature settings!
Thank you again. So new to all this stuff, but am getting there. Now, to try to understand routines :frowning:

1 Like

That’s an interesting issue. I kind of doubt that’s a ST issue. Most people don’t have multiple thermostats and haven’t noticed this issue as much. The sensi api is finicky in how it handles multiple thermostats. The smartapp has been updated to handle that better now.

The reason for why/how it happens is based on the ST app has to subscribe to 1 thermostat, send commands and then unsubscribe. Then subscribe to another thermostat and send commands. The subscribe unsubscribe process wasn’t implemented very well (and only showed up for people with multiple units). If you are still having that problem then I would suggest updating both the SmartApp and Device Handler to the current versions and see if that helps.

Here is a shout out to @Kirk_Brown. The code is working flwlessly. I have two instances of the smart app. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. It works great. Thanks for writing this code! Using the sensi so much more economical than the more expensive options out there!

You said it, @williamsdryan. I mentioned a few of the things I planned to automate, but she didn’t see the whole picture until I got enough devices integrated with ST that I could really demonstrate why HA will make things easier and save us on energy costs. She just saw my installations as a bunch of unnecessary busy work until I could finally show how presence detection and automated lighting and HVAC and sprinklers were taking away some of the manual remembering all that needs to be done to keep your bills lowered. ST/Z-Wave and Zigbee are a far cry from the X10 that I started out with in the late 80s!

I researched all the “smart” thermostats and just bought and installed the Sensi Touch version. I am happy with this integration from @Kirk_Brown, but I’d like to get to a direct API version when Emerson gets their act together.

Thanks Kirk and everyone

@Kirk_Brown,
Kirk,
it seems there is the need for an update to your code. My hub died and i was doing a migration…readded your app and it was working but it seemed to have a side effect of not letting me add devices a. When i contacted support they reported some errors being generated in the app prevented the hub from adding new devices…i dont even know how these are connected. just thought id let you know. I love your app…want to install it for sure…
This is what support reported “the exact error was a java exception error at line 440”
when i try to install your app i get the following error, but then it installs

Did this resolve for you? What was the issue? I am having the same problem now…

Ok Stupid me…i replaced the device handler and the smartapp with the latest code and all works again. thanks…