Pool Water Temperature Monitoring

Personally I went with the La Crosse solution (eg https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYJ5L5B) – it’s a probe (and a basic external temperature as a bonus) + wifi based hub reporting to lacrossealertsmobile.com. The latter can easily be hooked up via webhooks to other systems (Alexa+Google Assistant in my case). Had it outside measuring the tub temperature every ~5 minutes for the last 6 months.

For the people using the sonoff th16, I would love to see pics on how its setup, its hard wired right?

Are you able to pull the data into anything that can be consumed by ST?
I would think if it can get into IFTTT then it can get into ST.

In my case I just did Alexa/Google Home, but theoretically yes, you can simply hook whatever you want to that AlertsMobile API that powers their website and app, it’s a very simple JSON output. Having said that, it’s an “undocumented feature”, so who knows how long it’d last (beyond running strong for like 7+ years up till now…).

Do you have any sample or format that could assist?

Was going to write something up - but here’s a quick sample:
{
“device0”: {
“success”: true,
“device_type”: “TX60”,
“obs”: [
{
“device_id”: “0001G31FA1B23FA1”,
“device_type”: “TX60”,
“u_timestamp”: “1582178094”,
“ambient_temp”: “52.4”,
“probe_temp”: “58.1”,
“humidity”: “80”,
“linkquality”: “100”,
“lowbattery”: “0”,
“success”: “9”,
“s_interval”: “99”,
“timestamp”: “2/19/2020 9:54 PM”,
“utctime”: 1582178094
}
],
“alerts”: {
“miss”: {
“id”: “501703”,
“alert_type”: “miss”,
“s_id”: “0001G31FA1B23FA1”,
“max”: “-100”,
“min”: “120”,
“wet”: “0”,
“alert_id”: “1”,
“phone”: “”,
“email”: “yes”,
“state”: null
},
“batt”: {
“id”: “501704”,
“alert_type”: “batt”,
“s_id”: “0001G31FA1B23FA1”,
“max”: “-100”,
“min”: “-100”,
“wet”: “0”,
“alert_id”: “1”,
“phone”: “”,
“email”: “yes”,
“state”: null
}
},
“ispws”: 0,
“unit”: {
“temp”: “°F”,
“temp2”: “°F”,
“rh”: “%”
},
“device_id”: “0001G31FA1B23FA1”,
“expired”: “1”
}
}

So is that the json string that comes in the webhook that can be ingested into IFTTT?
Or is that what you can pull into ST?

I get mine on Friday to try out.

I guess I can use webcore to GET the json and then response.probe_temp.

What is the URL?

https://community.smartthings.com/t/working-smartthings-hot-tub-aquarium-whatever-water-sensor/149885/3

Yes, you’d have to do a pull (get) on the URL (API) to pull this info down when needed.
I did my implementation via a chatbot that hits a custom glitch.com app (was a good excuse to test them) – I pull temp, probe temp, humidity, timestamp, and calculate the delay in minutes off the latter. This way, whenever I ask for it, I get my Alexa and Google Home devices reply with {temp} outside, {probe} water, {humidity}% humidity, as of {delay}.
The URL I got off the mobile app you will install to enable the bridge - when you “register” it via the app, you will be given your unique bride id, so the URL will look something like this: laxservices/device_info.php?&limit=1&timezone=8&metric=0&deviceid=XYZ

Ill post more details later, but I got this working with webcore and even got it into action tiles.

1 Like

Ds1820b on Amazon with Smart implant fibaro and the DH https://community.smartthings.com/u/ovidiu.pruteanu

The best solution

I use a d1 mini flashed with Tasmota and a ds1820. Works well with my own or various other tasmota integrations.

Not sure how to start a new thread, but I need to monitor 4-250 gallon wine tank temperatures using Z-Wave Plus. Any ideas? Internal to the tanks, food grade, outside tanks, well covered???

Has anyone found a reliable battery-operated sensor that you can place in the pool skimmer basket and read the temperature in Smarttthings? I have gone through two other sensors only to have them die after three to four months. Presently I can ask Alexa the pool temp through my Hayward app. The downside with this solution is the pump needs to be running and I can not get the temperature to display on my Actiontiles.

why not use a fibaro implant/usb with a ds18b20?

The first fibaro went bad after three months and two batteries and the second one chewed up batteries too…

1 Like

Coming back to this as I feel like redoing some of the automations and exposing the info via SmartThings, among other things… Any updates on this, Adam? :slight_smile:

Ive used this solution for the last 2 years, worked great for the most part, but my external sensor died and i cannot find a new one. any idea of something similar or from another vendor where you can pull the json?