Poll: Mobile Phone as a Presence Device with SmartThings

I’m wondering if there are some additional steps that need to be taken when changing phones. I had 100% reliability with the HTC One (M7) and 0% with the Nexus 6P.

On the plus side my wife’s iPhone 4S was hit or miss, and her iPhone 6S Plus is 100% reliable now.

Mobile Device: Samsung Note 4
Mobile device OS version: 5.1.1
If Android: GPS level: high accuracy
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: High
Does your phone connect to your wi-fi: Yes
SmartThings App Version: 2.0.8

I had issues when I first received my Smart Hub about 2 weeks ago. Location was horrible. It would show I had left my house about an hour later when I launched the app. However, about 4 days ago I decided to reinstall mobile app and now location is great. It shows me leaving about 5 minutes after I have left and shows me coming home just at the right time. I think logging out and re-installing app helped a lot. Also, I make sure never to force close the app.

Mobile Device: iPhone 5s
Mobile device OS version: n/a
If Android: GPS level: /na
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: High

I have an iPhone as well and the iPhone has always been working fine.

Mobile Device: Nexus 5 (2014)
Mobile device OS version: 6.0.1
If Android: GPS level: high accuracy
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: noob to mobile presence, but it’s been 100% accurate so far on my phone and my wife’s (same phone)

One thing to note that could be helpful or not for others… I also use Life360 on my phone, and it’s waking up and getting my GPS location every 15 mins. When I look at the ST activity for me/my wife and compare to Life360 logs, both apps trigger home/away at the same time. So… maybe the every 15 min polling that Life360 does helps me. But again… I’ve been using mobile presence for 3 days now… so I could be getting lucky!

I was having huge problems with using my wife’s iPhone 5s and my iPhone 6s as presence sensors. My main concern was that the Geofence was way to big, so my alarm would activate when I was a long way from home or deactivate also far from home. As you can see that is a problem when using the system. I had made my Geofence smaller, at least as far as the app allowed, with little to no help. I then installed Life 360 on my phone and my wifes and removed the iPhone from the presence device, and now my geo fence is down to 66 feet much more acceptable. I have very few problems with presence. I do find it to be better if I check in on Life 360 a few times a week on each phone when home. I am not sure this will wqork for everyone but it sure does for me.

Iphone 6, iPhone 5s
iOS 9

Mobile presence has been erratic since last 2 weeks or little more. Frequently left, arrived notifications and all my rules based on mobile presence has gone nuts. Today I had to remove all my automation based on presence and had to go manual. All this happens when the phone has not moved a place. I tried all options including expanding my coverage area to more than a mile. Nothing helps. Problem same on two different phone models listed above.

So… (replying to myself) it’s been a full week and I have some important information to share.
There was a day where my wife’s phone didn’t show as away until 60 mins after leaving the house. However, both ST & Life360 showed her away at the same time. As these are two independent applications, sharing the same behavior… I for one believe it’s an OS/device issue and not an application issue. My phone has had 100% accuracy on arrival/departure, to the point where I’m 3/4 of the way up my driveway (over 500ft long… so it takes longer than most to drive up) and my “I’m back” routine kicks on at the perfect time. So, overall I’m very happy with the performance of mobile presence so far… but I’ll reply back if/when I get frustrated.

FWIW - I use presence to turn on/off lights and adjust my thermostat… I live in a safe area (in the country), so locks could be part of it… but based on other’s feedback, I’ll wait a month/two before I think about integrating locks into my presence setup, for extra piece of mind.

1 Like

Mobile Device: Nexus 5&6
Mobile device OS version: 6.0.1

presence unpredictable. have since stopped depending on the feature.

Has the presence stopped working for android? I apparently havent leftthe house since the 10th…any support would be great.

Try logging out off the app and then log back in.

Android app has been working fine for me.

1 Like

Two iPhone 5s’s on a V1 hub.

Works almost all the time for me, the main ST “admin”. My wife’s phone is not detected about 15% of the time. This is usually fixed if she opens the ST app on her phone, something she almost never does.

Every now and then, maybe 2% of the time, it won’t notice one of us has left. More likely to not notice someone returning.

I had a ST V1 key fob I tried to use to make sure the dog wasn’t wandering, but its design was not durable enough for a dog collar–if she shook hard, it would fly out if its rubber perimeter ring. Range was also short.

It has been consistently working for us for 98% of the time (don’t ask my why 98). Rarely it doesn’t pickup the movement. I have seen it is either the phone charge is very low (not sure if iPhone switches off GPS to conserve battery) or when the application is logged out.

iPhone 6 iOS9.3.3 beta Presence keeps track of when my phone is ‘in’ or ‘out’ of the building. But the phone is not very good at activating the globe ad it has been set to do on arrival.
Maybe i just haven’t set it up correctly yet…

Pity this community is pretty slow… is it just because everyone else has given up?

I am not sure what you mean by this. I think most of us with presence issues have found workaround, whether it’s through IFTTT, DD-WRT Scripts, physical fobs, etc.

slow to get responses.

Really? Insults work great to get responses.

iPhones 7/7+
iOS 10.2
Phone connects to WIFI: yep

For us we find the presence is inaccurate until we open the app. The log for the presence sensor logs the time and it matches the time the app was activated. My wife rarely opens her app so her presence is several days out of date. We enabled Allways Allow for location services and wifi is always enabled.

Well I’ve been using my phone as a presence sensor for quite some time to open my garage door for me when I get within range of the geofence.

This is mainly due to the fact that I ride a motorcycle as my commuter transportation and don’t carry a garage clicker on me but I might have to considering the various changes made to the app affecting the detection in different ways.

I don’t have exact dates but this is the sequence of events:

In the beginning: Didn’t have to have the phone unlocked or any app active and sensing was fine.

An update occurred and sensing only worked if I had a map application open on the phone tracking my current position.

Another update happened and then I had to keep the smartthings app open to get the sensing to trigger.

And the most recent update is even worse, I have to have a map application in the background and the smartthings app open to trigger sensing.

I wish the staff would just make up their mind.