Poll: Mobile Phone as a Presence Device with SmartThings

Mobile Device: IPhone 5S the 4S was better at it
Mobile device OS version: 8.4.1
If Android: GPS level: (high accuracy vs. battery saving)
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low) Good and the Apple reminder sends a push right away
Does your phone connect to your wi-fi: Yes it does. But the push is not regular from ST and 1/2 the time I have to open the ST APP to get the change and fire the notice
SmartThings App Version - :Newest

My phone
Mobile Device: iPhone 5s
Mobile device OS version: iOS 8.4.1
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: High
Does your phone connect to your wi-fi: yes
SmartThings App Version: 2.01

My wife’s phone
Mobile Device: iPhone 5
Mobile device OS version: iOS 8.4.1

My phone
Mobile device OS version: iOS 8.4.0
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: Usually good
 but gets funky sometimes

My SO’s phone
Mobile device OS version: iOS 8.4.0
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: Erratic

I get a lot of false “arrived” alerts on my SO’s phone, but mine rarely does that. And I get a lot of times with that device not arriving and I have to open the App to get it to update.

Mine is usually fine, but I am in and out of the app for controlling devices regularly. When it fails, it fails and I need to open the app and wake it up

Mobile Device: HTC 8X (worked better on the Lumia 928 until it broke and I went back to the 8x)
Mobile device OS version: WP 8.1
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low): Small
Does your phone connect to your wi-fi: Yes
SmartThings App Version: 1.4.0.1275 with V1 hub.

Sometimes mobile presence works some times it doesn’t. Most of the time it is delayed on adding/removing. Sometimes it just plain doesn’t work.

@Ben Any thoughts on getting ST forum members who have already voted here to recast their ‘vote’ over time as ST makes updates? It could be an ongoing gauge of how mobile phone presence detection is working.

I have personally seen changes to ST Presence detection over the past few days where it is now triggering Mode changes faster (~500ft earlier or 1.5 blocks in my city) than it did previously. Not sure if this is tied to 2.0.2 (iOS) update or other changes you are making on the backed.

1 Like

iPad is not supported as a mobile presence sensor since V2. I really want the option back.

Mobile Device: Windows Phone
Mobile device OS version: 8.1
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low) Not sure
SmartThings App Version: 1.4.1.1358

Not reliable on all 3 devices.

Mobile Device: iPhone 6
Mobile divide OS version: Latest
Level of accuracy: High Accuracy
Does phone connect to WiFi: Yes
SmartThings app Version: Latest

Mobile Device: LG Leon
Mobile divide OS version: Android 4.1.1
GPS Level: High
Level of accuracy: Low Accuracy

Mobile Device: LG G3
Mobile divide OS version: Android 5.0.1
GPS Level: High
Level of Fence accuracy: Low Accuracy

Mobile device OS version: 9.0 and 9.1
If Android: GPS level: N/A
SmartThings App Version: 2.0 - 2.03
Carrier: Verzion
In my environment i find the keyfob to be 100% accurate as long as i don’t lay on it (i have 3 hardwired zigbee devices near my entry way to ensure this). My mobile presence is very close in stability to the fob and after monitoring the 2 over weeks i got 1 false departure/arrival shy of that it detects my departure ~60sec after my fob and ~60sec before my fob on arrivals.

Mobile Device: IPHONE 4s (wIfe’s phone)
Mobile device OS version: 9.0.2
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low)
SmartThings App Version: Latest version(the phone is not available for me to look at)

I am not sure if of the geo fence accuracy and didn’t know I could change it.

I have had presence issues since the release of IOS 9. Before this the Iphone had been pretty solid.

Since the IOS upgrade, Presence would only update if she opened the app. I tried all of the recommended solutions to no avail, many times over. I even removed the presence device and the app when I upgraded her phone to IOS 9.0.2 and reinstalled and it didn’t work. What I found that seemed to fix it (at least for the last 36 hours) was to reset Location and Privacy.

Settings-> General-> Reset-> Reset Location and Privacy

This will log you out of Smartthings (and anything else that uses locations) but after logging back in, it has been working for the last 36 hours. Life360 wasn’t working either and now it is too.

Make sure background app refresh is enabled and location based alerts are turned on under privacy in system services after the reset.

I am curious if others have had issues with IOS 9 and if this fix works for them.too.

Best Regards,

Steve

Mobile Device: VERIZON GALAXY S5
Mobile device OS version: 5.0
If Android: GPS level: (high accuracy vs. battery saving) either setting seems to work but I run high accuracy
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low) IDK
SmartThings App Version: 2.0.3

Android Has been pretty solid for a couple of months. I had one glitch earlier in the week when it said I left but was sitting in my recliner. I had the app open at the time and I was playing with geo fence size and delays at the time so that may have been the culprit. Couple months ago I had to completely remove my phone as a presence device and reinstall it. Seems to occur every couple of months that a presence issue rears its ugly head whether it’s my wife’s Iphone or my Android.

I’m still using the v1 hub.

Best Regards,
Steve

I haven’t had issues, but it wouldn’t surprise me if somehow location services got confused during the upgrade in some cases.

Thanks for the reply. I am not very well versed on the Iphone but my wife prefers it over Android. Until Smartthings, I really had no need to learn or even explore its functions. My wife is really on-board with this HA so I am doing my best to keep her happy. So far she find its very useful.

I downloaded the IFTTT app. How can I make it open my garage door when I’m approaching? I have the Smartthings system.

Mobile Device: VERIZON GALAXY Note 4
Mobile device OS version: 5.0.1
If Android: GPS level: High accuracy
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low) The smallest geo-fence has seemed to work the best.

I have had smart-things hub v2 for about a month and the mobile presence has worked well up until about a week ago. I haven’t changed anything with the hub, app, or my phone. The hub detects when I leave very accurately, but when returning home it has become totally unreliable. Sometimes it doesn’t trigger for several hours of being home. Rebooting the hub or phone doesn’t seem to matter.

Mobile Device: Motorola Nexus 6
Mobile device OS version: 6.0 Marshmallow
If Android: GPS level: (high accuracy vs. battery saving): High accuracy
Level of Geo-Fence accuracy: (High, Medium, Low): Not sure

I recently got the v2 hub. Mobile presence has been doing a good job of detecting me arriving and leaving, but while I am home, it often shows that I leave and come back (while I’m inside my house). This might have sometime to do with the new doze mode in Android 6.0; whenever the phone dozes, it’s possible that ST interprets it as me leaving the house.

You could try excluding the SmartThings mobile app from Doze mode: Settings > Battery > (Menu) Optimization > All Apps > SmartThings > Don’t Optimize

I’ll give this a try. Thanks for the tip!

Not sure if it’s a definite cause/effect, but my previously-flawless presence has been having troubles since updating to iOS 9.1

Sorry to hear that. My wife and I are both on iOS 9.1 and ST 2.0.4 and mobile presence appears to be working fine.