Plug and Play vs can be made to work with custom code

Continuing the discussion from Any Z-Wave Thermostat?:

Spinning off…

I like what you’ve said in your summary above. But until all I have to do is hit one INSTALL button in the mobile app, i don’t count it as plug and play.

I also think the “I” on the “works with” list is insufficient because it mixes good stuff (is a repeater) with bad stuff (only some functions are supported) with beta indications (labs). these need three different icons.

1 Like

I don’t understand. Don’t all the “fully supported” Devices work in this matter (i.e., using the + button (SmartSetup) + Connect New Device, … Searching... ?

As for the “works with” page…

I agree 100%. They need to break up the page into at least two; “Fully Supported” (i.e., plug & play), vs. anything else that has any non-trivial issue.

I meant an install for the smartapps. You can pair some certified power strips, for example, but as I understand it you can’t control each plug individually without custom code. And Scene Machine still using requires the IDE, right? It didn’t show up in a search in the mobile app.

Sorry… still confused. Do you have a specific example Device – though I may need screenshots or other references to actually get on the same page with you.

NB: I am only referring to devices that SmartThings claims are “fully supported” (i.e., no “i” indicator).

SmartenIt ZBLC15 is zigbee, but typical for a physical device. Replaces a two plug receptacle, intended by the manufacturer to “Independently control 2 devices” On the “works with” list, but ST turns both plugs on and off together.

It’s a huge amount of work for me physically to find these examples for you, so I’m going to leave additional research to you.

We crossposted. You added your NB while I was still composing.

As far as the items without “I” like I said this research is physically wearing for me. Hopefully someone who found it necessary to write/use a custom device type for one of the items that meet your parameters will post.

Understood.
We can delete the two interim “disqualified” posts if you’d like, and then this one. I’ll start :wink: