Please share your thoughts on locks - keypad vs no keypad

Oaky great, so it sounds as if I don’t need to worry about tons of features in the lock itself, as long as it holds a bunch of codes the ST hub can program it. I suppose if a lock was really dumb a smart app could manage the codes by adding them and removing them at proper times to simulate them expiring in the lock.

There are lots of locks! I’m reading about them all…

I’m leaning toward the keypad lock. The cool factor is lower but the utility factor is much higher.

2 Likes

SmartApps make dumb locks look great!

1 Like

How long do batteries last? I realize it probably depends on how frequently the lock moves, but most probably move at least twice a day or more…

It’s typically stored in the lock so that even if your hub is offline, the code still works.

In most cases, codes can be set in either a smartapp or via the keypad.

1 Like

Thanks everyone…

I see that, at least with the Kwikset locks, I have to choose Z-Wave or ZigBee. Everything I have currently is Z-Wave and the ST hub will be at the opposite end of the house. I think ZigBee is good for about 150 feet. I think that should work.

If ZigBee battery life better? Then again, I suspect the bg battery drain here is moving the lock.

Check this out, battery life can very from a few months to a year or more depending upon use and configured settings and lock models:

2 Likes

Thats a great chart, thanks! From looking at it, it seems to lump all the locks from a given brand into one bucket. Does that mean that all the Kwikset locks, for example, have the same features electronically? I see that the keypads are different.

Zigbee does generally have better battery life, but shorter range than zwave.

More importantly, strong Wi-Fi can drown out zigbee. (This is not a problem with Zwave.) since the lock is in a fixed location and you want it to work every time, people generally prefer Z wave for locks.

4 Likes

I have the schlage keypad lock. It is by far the favorite thing I have done smartthings wise. It is very convenient to just push a code to get in, and 1 button to lock it. This and turning on lights upon arrival is my wife and daughters favorite thing.

I am not counting on it to stop anyone. Just keep semi honest people honest.

5 Likes

Well this is funny… Turns out my locks are Schlage, not Kwikset. Good thing I didn’t order a lock today! :wink:

2 Likes

I just ordered one of these:

Amazon has a used like new one for $141 so that seemed like a great deal. It has the touch pad as someone recommended, it can be keyed with my existing house key and its supported by the @RBoy device driver. I just hope I can press one button to lock it when I go, because the door knob will no longer have a lock in it. Getting my daughter to lock the house may be a challenge. Damn college kids! :wink:

1 Like

I’m too tired this morning to check the specifics on that model, but most smart locks these days have an auto lock feature which works great. We didn’t add a smart lock until autolock was available. You can set the lock so that it always locks itself 30 seconds after it was opened.

Most Schlage locks also have a feature where you can enter a code on the lock to temporarily suspend autolock, which is good for when you’re loading up the car or something. Then the next time you manually turn the bolt, autolock is reengaged.

But in general, no one should have to remember to relock the lock, it will do it itself automatically. :sunglasses:

1 Like

On the original question of keypad or no keypad, I like the Yale keyless version - it’s just a touchscreen, which is black when off. No external moving parts, no buttons. So you get the convenience of a keypad, but it looks more elegant (not that it couldn’t be improved, it still looks different from a normal lock). The lack of a physical key is also touted as a security feature, though it includes a warning not to use that on every door, just in case they all fail.

1 Like

I have this lock. Yes just one press on the Schlage logo on the keypad locks it when you leave or as @JDRoberts said you can set this to also autolock after 30 secs (fixed). HOWEVER my college daughter seems to forget to close the door all the way sometimes which prevents the autolock for actually securing the door. I also use @RBoy device handler and his smartapp for this lock and they are worth every penny.

FYI: I looked at Kwikset locks and the security rating on Schlage locks are higher rated. You don’t want the Kwikset Smart Key that can be opened in seconds. The Smart Key system was being used on the z-wave model. Schlage can be overridden as well so nothing is perfect.

3 Likes

Hi @dalec that’s great info, thanks very much! One concern I have is that my existing dead bolt does hang up a little bit so I may have to do some work on the door to get it to work perfectly smoothly. As for the kid, like most people she is used to just pulling the door closed behind her and the doorknob is locked, so nothing to think about. Now she is going to have to lock the door, unless the autolock works well.

I’m not sure I’ll like the autolock though. What if someone comes in from the market and needs to bring 6 bags of groceries in? The door gets opened, and 30 seconds later the bolt gets thrown into the lock position, with the door still open?

Yeah, I just leave the door open. The autolock still “locks” the deadbolt but the door is in the open position. When we get done bringing everything in we just manually lock. If you have your @RBoysmartapp you can temporarily just disable the autolock feature.

Spend the time making sure the deadbolt works smoothly by hand. It may be a hassle to fine tune the opening but you only have to do it one time.

Oh about batteries, I just replaced the batteries on my Schlage after a very long time, it seems like a year its been so long? I have two of these locks and been really pleased especially because of the convenience of coming in at night and not only disarming the system but them turning on the lights in the house before I enter. I just loaded a low battery alert app now to flag me.

Very cool, sounds like I ordered the right lock. I’ll probably get another at some point but there is no hurry.

Have you tried to re-key it and if so, how did that go? The rest of my locks are all Schlage and they are all on the same key, which is really nice.

I didn’t rekey mine. Its a standard hi-grade Schlage lock so it’s child’s play for your locksmith to rekey. Just take the lock component over to your local locksmith along with the key you want them to have it work with.

I would not worry too much about how secure the actual lock is as they only keep out honest people and occasional criminals with little brain. Based on some research I did on securing my home what I found was that a simple kick will open the door or even just breaking a window. With so many houses to chose from I doubt they will research connected lock hacking or lock picking unless you are a particularly interesting target…

I have a Schlage zwave lock and love it. The batteries last a year but that can vary on how often you use the motor to lock/unlock your door. A single button press will lock the door and I use 4 different codes to unlock my door. Never had an issue… There are smartapps that allow you to manage the codes (burn code, change code, only x day code, etc), manage tamper alarms and the fantastic autolock feature!

Only caution I would give on locks with actual buttons, especially if white, is that they will likely fade/get dirty/whatever making it pretty obvious which keys are used for the code. Sure there are still many possible combinations but you make it that much easier… The Schlage lock has a flat, non shiny, keypad so it can easily be wiped. Use different codes for each person and you will not only know who unlocked the door but also spread the finger marks all over. Over time you might have to change it out but I am at 2 years or so and it is not an issue yet. The Kwikset one has a random set of 2 numbers that you have to press before you enter your code and this is done to make it harder for others to get your code (looking over your shoulder, or looking at smudges) but I think that would be annoying as it requires attention… also, there seems to be a delay in the keypad activating which is a killer for me. Schlage’s keypad is active immediately. Plus… the comments made above do not make me any more comfortable with it either even though I was considering adopting it just because all my house locks are Kwikset.

For my backyard door I think I will go with the keyless Yale lock. Only concern there is the battery life as a friend got 2 of them and the batteries only last 2 weeks… but he is using an ADT system.

My lock:

I have this lock in the Camelot version. My only recommendation is to make sure the bolt slides very easily. You’ll eat batteries if you don’t as it will shift into high power mode to try and make the bolt slide.

I also recommend @RBoy dth and apps. They make managing the lock and setting things a breeze.

This is one of my family’s favorite investments. My college age daughter remembers to push one button to lock the door. As a backup I have her IPhone presence and her presence FOB set to lock the door when she’s gone.

Has worked great for us. It enables us to let people in without having to get them keys and such. Allows lights to turn on when specific people use codes.

My daughter loves when she comes home and we’re in bed. When she unlocks the door it turns on the lights she needs to get to her room at a dim level. Then once there she pushes a button on her phone or button controller and it all turns back off and verifythe door is locked.

4 Likes