Platform Issues? - UndeclaredThrowableException Everywhere

“UndeclaredThrowableException” joins “unexpected error” in our top 10 hits of the day. I’m willing to give them another month or two to see if things get better. Was looking forward to putting critical functions on this system but not yet.

I don’t know if the unreliable system or the primitive IDE or the limit on developer flexibility is worse. Taking all three becomes a heavy load to overcome.

3 Likes

The only time an issue gets acknowledged there is when they already have a solution. Check incident history. I haven’t checked it in its entirety, but I’d be surprised if you find one that wasn’t “resolved” within 24 hours or less (usually much less), unlike out actual real-life experience. I especially like the Hub Connectivity issues of DEC 9 and DEC 10 - logged as two separate issues with short closure time. :smile:

They are definitely playing to their Samsung masters and the general public… trying to give the impression of a stable platform with responsive support. :laughing:

1 Like

Quoting myself LOL, but if my theory holds true, there may be good news:

But they did “fix it” within 3 hours. :wink:

ya that is fixed now… so good. but it was a good hour after they said it was fixed before I stopped getting the exception when saving the smartapp… oh well progress I guess

They must use really old modem to upload new software to the servers. :smile:

5 Likes

actually it is not totally fixed either. I have one smart lighting smart app that will not refresh or be removed or even be removed through the ide/uninstall same exception error

e8a3296e-7f6e-46c3-96c3-164e218fdc19 ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎27‎ ‎PM: error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException

e8a3296e-7f6e-46c3-96c3-164e218fdc19 ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎25‎ ‎PM: error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException

when trying to remove in ide you get this

Oh No! Something Went Wrong!
Error:500: Internal Server ErrorURI:/installedSmartApp/uninstall/e8a3296e-7f6e-46c3-96c3-164e218fdc19Reference Id:eeca52ad-d598-44fe-b7ad-749f665fdddfDate:Wed Jan 20 20:46:42 UTC 2016

give them a break programming the servers by paper tape is time consuming :smile:

3 Likes

The error has subsided quite a bit, but it still is happening.

Smart alarm is giving me this exception. Any ideas?

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @ line 1036

1 Like

It’s the platform. Can’t be fixed by us normal people.

Our only options would be to comment out the offending lines or try/catch. May render app useless.

1 Like

still not fixed… cannot delete the rule … either can they.

and now logging is down this morning

Don’t the ST engineers have a big red button to rollback the code? Where is the contingency plan and oversight? How is this acceptable for a consumer facing product that markets security, safety, automation? Makes no sense.

3 Likes

they deleted it for me… after I renamed it

Well junk. I’m getting this now too in my “Bathroom Light Control” SmartApp at Line 270 which simply calls unschedule().
It last executed properly 2016-01-19 7:22:42 AM CST according to graph.api.smartthings.com
Also, my Goodbye routine is no longer working which is costing me real money by keeping lights and HVAC on as well as not arming my house. :frowning:

I submitted a support case as well.

1 Like

I added this to Thingsthataresmart.wiki…

But we really need more people to use the Wiki!

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:_Schedule_Methods_Cause_Fatal_Java_Error

1 Like

Just a data point…

A SmartTiles user has reported experiencing this error (upon “unschedule()”) right now.
i.e., it definitely still exists.

I’m also seeing this all over the place right now!

I thought I had done something wrong on my end as I’m doing a lot of refactoring at the moment.

I just started logging and am not seeing any over a 5 minute stretch… are you doing something in the app, or which device types are throwing you the exceptions?

I only see 1 20 sec timeout for my garage door but not sure what that is for… it is not doing anything at the moment just staying closed and it is a stock device type.

I’m doing development and testing of a SmartApp / Device Handler for the Ecobee Thermostat.

So I’m testing some boundary cases that require use of “unschedule” for example. So I’m probably not completely representative of the normal user that is at a current steady state. But for any user that has an app that has any kind of “watchdog” that needs to reset scheduled events to keep things going, this is a problem I suspect.

ya I think there are know issues with unschedule currently. I try to stick with unsubscribe and use pollster to boost anythings else.