Plant Link Intergration

You need a base station to register on the Plantlink site and get data integration between both ST and Plantlink.

Does anyone know what “Fuel Level” refers to in the Oso device type tile?

I have a Plantlink hub now which I unplugged after initial account creation on Plantlink site. Unfortunate you need the hub to create the account, but cool that you can have ST send the data and get calibration on myplantlink.com. Even after unplugging the plantlink hub I can also still use the myplantlink.com dashboard to edit plants and soil types and see current status.

I paired plantlink sensors to smartthings hub (which appears to have better range than the plantlink hub). Still need to calibrate my plant types and soils, but it’s working well enough.

I also managed to hack a quick change to @625alex SmartTiles Dashboard code to view Plantlink sensors on the dashboard.

@625alex, just in case you can use this:

section("View state of things...") {
input "plants", "capability.sensor", title: "Plants...", multiple: true, required: false

subscribe(plants, "plantStatus", handler, [filterEvents: false])

def getPlantsData(device, type) {
def deviceData = [:]
device?.supportedAttributes?.each{
	try {
		deviceData << [("$it" as String): device.currentValue("$it")]
	} catch (e) {}
}
[tile: "device", type: type, device: device.id, name: device.displayName, plantStatus: deviceData.plantStatus]

Under def renderTile(data)

} else if (data.type == "plants"){
return """<div class="plants w1 tile" data-type="$data.type" data-device="$data.device"> <div class="title">$data.name<br/> <span class="text">$data.plantStatus<br/> ${getTileIcons()[data.type][data.plantStatus]}</span></div></div>"""

GetTileIcons, note I modified the moisture descriptions in the Oso plantlink device type as shown below

plants : [Watered: "<i class='wet fa fa-fw fa-smile-o'></i>", Dead: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-thumbs-o-down'></i>", Dying: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-thumbs-o-down'></i>", Thirsty: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-frown-o'></i>", Ok: "<i class='wet fa fa-fw fa-leaf'></i>", Perfect: "<i class='wet fa fa-fw fa-leaf'></i>", TooWet: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-meh-o'></i>", NoSoil: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-exclamation-circle'></i>", LowBatt: "<i class='dry fa fa-fw fa-exclamation-circle'></i>"],

def allDeviceData section

plants?.each{data << getPlantsData(it, "plants")}

And some custom css

.plants .text {color: #00B800; top: 14px; font-size: 1.2em; line-height:1.2em; text-align: center; position:absolute;}
.plants .dry  {color: #B22222; font-size:2.7em; line-height:1.1em; position: relative; left:8px; top: -3px; text-align:center;}
.plants .wet  {color: #00B800; font-size:2.7em; line-height:1.1em; position: relative; left:8px; top: -3px; text-align:center;}
3 Likes

Will this use the myplantlink.com information? or is it purely and 100% independent of the hub (even for setup?)

Its purely independent :slight_smile:

Same level of integration? Specify plant, detection of soil type?

@Kristopher I can’t thank you enough for the plantlink-direct devicetype, i’ve been using it for a bit and it works well!
https://github.com/KristopherKubicki/device-plantlink-direct

How is it handling detection? I am puzzled how a direct solution could work, unless I manually specify the ranges…?

That smart cookie put all the math that plantlink does on their servers into the devicetype. I asked the same question at first so i looked at this code and was presently surprised. I jumped in with 4 devices and they are all accurate with in 2% of my dumb hydrometer.

1 Like

Whoah.

Well, then, maybe I need to re-evaluate using the PlantLink Device Type and App…

I’ve also been using the direct sensor and can confirm that it works well. There is also a way to manually adjust the “dry” and “wet” limits if needed.

1 Like

Yep, yep its good stuff… which is why i had to share. The only thing i think it’s missing is a smartapp to notify you when your plants are thirsty, but i think that’s minor compared to the work already put into it. IDK if any one else wants to tackle that project, but i know it’s on my list of things to take on after i update my roomba device and take on another smartthings web app

Does PlantLink’s hub detect soil type, that you are aware?

To my knowledge the only difference is that you choose a plant and from that it knows the plants water needs, but you still have to tell it the soil type. It you are using standard potting soil, loam is a safe bet.

Hi All,

Sorry about the delayed response. I put a couple edits into the device code this morning – I think I am pretty close to pushing it out to a larger audience. As @sidjohn1 mentioned, I reverse engineered most of the PlantLink code and put it into the device directly. That was really brutal.

The Link device is actually well constructed, but it does have some issues. I’ve seen it be accurate within 5% or so of reality. The physical device is least accurate in the mid range. Oso’s engineers solved this by taking averages over time, which I did not do.

@d8adrvn helped me a lot with the UX and there’s some things we did to mirror the PlantLink experience. You pick a soil level (it won’t be accurate without that) and you can now pick a plant type to improve the accuracy of when to get a “dry” notification.

I’d like to put this in front of the ST team to get a little more traction. Its a great little device and the cost is unbeatable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

PlantLink-Direct Monitor
I just released a companion app for Kristopher Kubicki’s PlantLink-Direct. It keeps track of all your PlantLink-Direct plants and sends notifications if your plants are too wet or dry. Enjoy!
https://github.com/sidjohn1/smartthings
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sidjohn1/smartthings/master/PlantLink-DirectMonitor.groovy

2 Likes

Awesome! Very nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

So just to clarify I can buy just the sensors or do I need to buy the initial system (with the plant link hub)?

Yep, you can buy just the sensors and use Kristopher Kubicki’s PlantLink-Direct Devicetype and your smartthings hub will find your sensors w/o issue. You will have NO integration with the planlink website and it is not needed because everything happens local and works very well.
If you want integration with the plantlink website you have to buy the hub for now… until plantlink is done with their smartthings integration (ETA unknown, don’t ask) and in that setup all the sensors will connect to the plantlink hub.

I’m ordering five of the links to test out (as well as a base just in case I want to sell off one of the links). Excited to play with this. We have some potted Dwarf Raspberry plants and one surviving hydrangea I want that I want to keep alive. :smile:

1 Like

Home depot is seling the base station and one senor for $29.97