Philips Hue v1 hub and lights not working from the ST integration

Warning: #rant coming…

Hi all! I’m going to try and stay cool today… but I can’t promise anything…

Simply put… I’ve been using Hue lights from day one that I started using ST back in the kickstarter era… always flawless…

But as of this year I’m starting to be “greeted” day on day off with a non working setup… as in… I have x conditions (all in different smartapps, so it’s not an isolated issue, I think) that have to be met so that y lights turn on/off/change colours… and they just work one day, but stop working either the same day or the day later…

The latest has been just last night… I can’t control any hue devices, no motion, no lights, no switches… from smartthings… just from the hue app itself…

Ugh…

Has this happened to you guys?

FYI to any user who may have a hue bridge v1…

Important notice for Hue Bridge v1 users

29 April 2019

Signify (formerly known as Philips Lighting) introduced the Hue Bridge v1 more than five years ago. New and improved versions of the bridge have been introduced since then. In order to help ensure that our customers continue to receive the best-connected lighting performance experience possible, Signify has therefore decided to eventually discontinue further software updates and online services for the Hue Bridge v1 and instead focus on supporting our Hue Bridge v2 ecosystem.

Beginning today, Signify will no longer release any platform feature software updates for the Hue Bridge v1. Nevertheless, for the next one (1) year following this announcement, Signify will continue to release security, quality and interoperability updates for the Hue Bridge v1, as well as maintain compatibility with our online services and the latest version of our mobile Hue application. *

After April 30, 2020 no software updates will be made available for the Hue Bridge v1 and compatibility with our online services will be terminated at that time. The Hue Bridge v1 can be only controlled locally via the dedicated Philips Hue Bridge v1 app.

Although the Hue Bridge v1 may continue to function with older versions of our applications and/or third-party software after this date we recommend that you upgrade to a new version of the Hue Bridge. Signify will no longer issue security updates and your v1 Bridge may no longer be secure. We do not recommend use of Hue Bridge v1 after April 30, 2020 due to potential security concerns.

Support for other versions of the Hue Bridge will remain unaffected. You can distinguish a Hue Bridge v1 from subsequent versions by its shape: v1 versions are round and subsequent versions are square.

Just a reminder that any user with a hue bridge v1 will lose remote functionality as of April 30, 2020…

Why i posted in this thread… I don’t know :slight_smile:

1 Like

But in theory… ST works over LAN with philips Hue… right?

Being that they are zigbee based… Can i link the hue lights DIRECTLY to ST, eliminating the need for the hue hub altogether?

My advice would be to update to the hue bridge v2 if possible. You should scan eBay or other avenues for used or low cost offers for the bridge.

Read @JDRoberts faq page in regards to attaching hue bulbs directly to the ST hub.

FAQ: Do I need the Hue Bridge/Hub to Use a Hue Bulb with SmartThings?

1 Like