Personal Emergency Response System?

Many homes have smart security systems now. But almost all of them forget about the personal emergency response system(PERS). I too didn’t know that they can help out those who meet with any emergency situations. It would do great help in situations like accidents. I just read an informative blog related to this. [ http://www.apialarm.com/medical-monitoring-pers/ ] It says about a medical monitoring system attached to a pendant. If there are seniors or persons who cannot help out by themselves, this monitoring services can be activated by just pushing the button on the pendant, which will notify the monitoring center and also can even send a notification to the contact number you have provided. Hope many people will get help from this.

I noticed the article linked to is in Canada.

In the US, these wearable panic button systems are pretty common. Quite a few of us in the community have them, although as @anon36505037 mentioned, we definitely do not rely on SmartThings for these.

Some of the systems, including the one that I use, have automatic fall detectors where the person doesn’t even have to do anything, it will contact the monitoring center if a fall is detected.

There are good ones of these in the $20/month range. I know that may seem expensive, but for people who need this service, it’s certainly worth considering.

All of that said, I am now considering canceling mine because I have an Apple smart watch which I wear all the time and which allows for voice calls including to 911. I’m just not 100% sure about the taking a shower use case. I know the newest watch is waterproof enough for that, I just haven’t looked into whether I could make a voice call from the shower or whether it shuts itself down when it’s in immersion mode.

Also, I would lose the automatic fall detection if I went to just the watch. That may not be a big issue for me since I am a wheelchair user. When I originally got the panic button I was still using a walker occasionally, and falls were a big issue. Since I’m in the chair full-time, fall detection has dropped down my priority list.

Also, if you have AT&T, echo can now send a text for you. It’s not two way communication, so it’s not as good as the watch or the panic button, but it might fit some use cases. I could certainly text my housemate on the other side of the house or my next-door neighbor if I needed help at a time when I was not wearing the watch, such as when I’ve gone to bed. But the echo requires that the Wi-Fi be operating, and the watch does not. Another reason that I haven’t gotten rid of my $20/month panic button yet, as I keep finding that it covers every use case and all my other devices only cover some.

So it all comes down to the exact details of what you need. In the US, there are a lot of device choices and services. Even a single $30 flic button can act as a panic button when it is paired to a nearby phone, with no monthly charge, although again it’s not two way. But it will fit some people’s requirements. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

But I definitely agree that SmartThings doesn’t really fit into the picture as it just doesn’t have the reliability you need for these.

1 Like

Just an update to this.

I did get rid of my other wearable in mid 2018 as I found the Apple Watch did everything I needed. The newest model even has built-in fall detection.

In addition, echo has added more capabilities. I also have a landline so I bought a separate “echo connect” device And this will now allow me to call any phone number, including 911, with voice from any echo device.

It’s still true that the echo requires Wi-Fi and Internet and the Apple Watch has its own cellular service, so I have both of those.

And it’s definitely still true that I would not put smartthings in the mix in any way for a panic button for someone who truly needs one. The company says the same thing as well:

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests.

When you’re talking about a situation where someone might die if every part of the system doesn’t work just right, the standards for reliability are way higher than for typical home automation. :rotating_light::fire_engine::ambulance: