PEQ water leak sensors work

For those curious, the PEQ water sensors work just fine with ST. I’ve got two on my v2 hub, sitting alongside some sump pump pits.

I plan on adding four more to monitor the level in my HVAC overflow drain pans. For those I’m going to raise the sensor up a bit to allow for the pans to collect (and drain) their normal amount. Some condensation is normal, and my steam shower unit uses it to periodically purge the system. I don’t need to know if they’re working normally, only if they rise too high.

The HVAC systems have their own detector attached to the pan that would shut them down, but the steam unit doesn’t. It’s unlikely to be a problem as the pan is large enough to handle a full load of water from the unit. But there’s always the off-chance of something not draining properly.

I picked mine up on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381436993441 Near as I can tell they were stock-pulls from stores. They’ve all worked fine right out of the box. They all came with the battery-pull-tab in place, and show 100% in the app. Time will tell how long they last.

I have noticed they tend to read a few degrees F cooler than I expected. Hard to know ‘for sure’ as various thermometers will give different readings. I’m not that ‘gung-ho’ about it, just noting that mine seem to read a little low.

One feature of the ST app is the alerts tied to them are persistent. As in, they keep showing up in the app until you clear them. I could see where this would be helpful. Helpful enough that I’d sort of like to have the same thing as an option for the ‘Something Left Open’ smartapp. I’ll have to bring that up in another thread.

I did the same. Identical to the ST leak sensors (PEQ makes STs), but for half the price. They even pair as ST leak sensors. Several options for purchase on eBay… :slightly_smiling:

The sensors are made by Centralite for both PEQ and ST.

http://www.centralite.com/index.php/products/3-series/3-series-moisture-sensor/specifications

1 Like

Got myself a few more of them, now all my HVAC air handler pans have a sensor, as do my sump pumps. I still have to get into the access panel for the steam unit’s pan.

I’ve used some non-conducting washers to raise the sensors little. The pans are designed to allow for some amount of overflow. That and the clearance between the sensor and the metal pan was a little too close. I get why they’d make them that way, as, in most situations, you’d likely really want to know about a leak as quickly as possible.

I’m going to try some side-by-side testing to see if there’s temp sensor variation between units.