PEQ sensors on sale again

Water sensors $20.
Motion sensors $30.
Door & window sensors $20.
Plug in modules $30.

UPS shipping ~ $10.

https://www.mypeq.com/shop

4 Likes

Do these work with smartthings natively? Is it just me or do these look exactly like the ST water sensors?

Cris do you know if the door sensor work with ST ?

Yes the PEQ sensors work with ST. I grabbed a bunch of the contact & leak sensors when BestBuy was clearancing them out last year. Set & forget , IMHO the etched cases look a lot better than the plain matt finish on other sensors

2 Likes

Good to know.

I bought about 5 this morning with free shipping to IL :slight_smile: good deal.

They work very well, and they are indeed made by centralite, who used to make all of the SmartThings-branded sensors although now I think the newer ST generations may be made by some other companies as well.

I have both the contact sensors and the motion sensors from PEQ.

1 Like

Hello, just to double verify, these work with ST without the need of a PEQ hub correct? I just ordered a few water sensors, thank you

Yes for the fourth time PEQ work with ST. If you’d like we can change our answers & lie, tell you that they don’t.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. The question was more about needing a peq hub or not , not if it is working with ST. I thought this was not mentioned, so wanted to verify. Again thanks and no need to lie…

1 Like

When someone says a device works with SmartThings “natively” they mean without requiring an additional bridge/hub.

So since there was a question upthread about whether the sensors work natively with smartthings, and there were two affirmative answer to that, that’s saying that the peq hub is not required.

But it’s good that you asked for the clarification – – there are certainly many devices which do require an intermediate bridge/hub to work with smartthings, and you want to know what you’re getting into before you start buying. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Technical Terminology & Platform Familiarity:

Sometimes, even though I’ve been at this for a few years now, I also need a little hand-holding from time to time.
The word ‘Native’ seems to get used both in relation to needed add-on hubs, AND Device Handlers.
So, if a Thing doesn’t need a non-ST hub to work, but it needs a custom DH, does it still work natively?

I’m still a relative n00b, and it helps sometimes to have very specific questions stated out loud, followed by very specific answers. So, thanks to the last three posters for getting this one out there, and well explained. :slight_smile:

There’s no hard and fast rule about terminology, so different people, including different manufacturers, will use the same term differently. (Just look at “switch” for an example! :wink:)

But as generally used in these forums:

Directly: The device can be paired to the SmartThings hub and will communicate by radio directly to it. No intermediate hub/bridge is required.

Cloud to Cloud: The device can communicate with your SmartThings account via the Internet. The SmartThings cloud talks to the device manufacturer’s cloud, Or third-party stand-in like IFTTT. Some of these integrations are official and some are unofficial. Some require an intermediate bridge/hub and some do not.

Locally: A device type handler which can run locally is distributed with the SmartThings firmware to every SmartThings customer. This allows devices using that device type handler to work with the official smartlighting feature even if the Internet is unavailable. There are a lot of other uses of the term “local connection” so it can definitely get confusing, but this is the one that people most often ask about with regard to SmartThings.

LAN Connection: OK, now it’s going to get confusing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: LAN stands for “local area network” and most commonly means that two devices are on the same Wi-Fi or ethernet network. So far, so good. This is how the Phillips hue bridge communicates with the SmartThings hub, for example. The important thing to know is that this is the communication protocol, like zigbee or Z wave. However, just as there are Z wave devices that cannot run locally (per the definition in the previous paragraph), all of the LAN integrations currently require access to the SmartThings cloud, which means the Internet has to be available. So the communications method is LAN, but the device type handler still cannot run “locally.” It runs in the cloud.

Natively: natively normally means that the control app is provided by the manufacturer. So we talk about the “Hue native app” meaning the one created by Phillips. Or the ecobee native app. Or the Sonos native app. However, people in this forum have also come to use the term “natively” to mean the same as “directly” as used at the top of this post. Meaning that the Device can pair directly to the SmartThings hub and does not require an intermediate bridge/hub or manufacturer’s cloud connection to work. But I’m sure there are other forums where people would say that, for example, the PEQ sensor only has a “native” connection to its own hub, and has a “third-party compatibility” connection with SmartThings. :sunglasses: It’s usually clear from the context of the post with the person means, but if not, there’s no harm in asking for clarification.

3 Likes

When you say natively, do we have to take our clothes off to get them to pair?
Just wondering as it’s not a pretty sight. :scream:

2 Likes

How did you get free shipping?

You probably have to reach a certain cart dollar amount, like $50 before you get free shipping

i tried all the way up to $100 with no luck

Maybe the buyer lives very close to a shipping warehouse so they give those free shipping.

also, remember all sales final.

I have several of the ST leak sensors and they work great! Twice they immediately sounded when there was water.

I was wondering if i could use them tucked inside the outer sock wrap on an outside faucet. I caught one faucet dripping and the wet sock wrap was already starting to freeze.

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts, i have been on the forums quite a lot and i am not sure how i missed the terminology natively :slight_smile: Your followup post was helpful as well! Thats the beauty of the forum! People like you!

3 Likes

I love PEQ sensors. I’m happy to see them being sold again.

1 Like