[OBSOLETE] Peanut Plug with Smartthings? (DTH in post 35)

I am fairly confident my estimate is accurate. I went through a number of different energy reporting WiFi smart plugs off Amazon that I returned before attempting to use the Peanut Plug (several of which this much wattage killed the plugs in a matter of days or weeks). I know the wattage is high. This PC runs six mining GPUs and each card pulls a pretty steady 140-150W as they run full blast 24/7. I have a few other Peanut Plugs I guess I could test with. The wattage reported by the DTH does not fluctuate much, it just doesn’t seem to be accurate. Somewhere, possibly at work, I have a kill-a-watt. If I can find it I will bring it home and test it inline with the Peanut Plug.

I just tested on another PP with a device I know for a fact pulls at least 800W constant and the DTH is reporting 377.6W. Perhaps these things are either not as accurate as we might expect, or the power value is not literal wattage. I also found it strange that my washer plugged into one never showed more than 60ish watts, which seems kinda low even for a energy efficient washer.

I got an Aeon switch which also have power reading. I can try it out tonight to see if the PP measurement are the same.

Excellent. Thanks! I was almost inclined to say it’s off by a factor of two and started wondering if it had to do with 110 vs 220 but it doesn’t seem the plug even supports to 220 so that it isn’t it.

Hi RyanW

You are right. The power is off. Here is my Aeon and Almond result versus smartthings result before the fix.

After the fix,

IMG_2217

You can try out the v01.02 to see if it works for you. I did not realize it need to be calibrated.

Updated and these values look so much more accurate! Thanks so much @pakmanwg for fixing this and for creating the DTH in the first place. If I can locate my kill-a-watt I’ll confirm the accuracy on my end but these already look correct based on what I know about the devices I have connected to them.

Great. Enjoy.

This is great! I’ll update mine this weekend and see if it helps with Laundry Monitor.

I updated one of my Peanuts to use the “Peanut Plug” DTH instead of “Zigbee Switch Power”. (Is “Peanut Plug” the updated DTH?). Now my text notifications for that plug are always “Dryer reported OE+1 Watts…” instead of an actual number. Looking at the Recent events tab for that plug, I see that there are two notifications back-to-back. The first is “Power is 683.33333333” followed immediately by “Power is OE+1”.

I had trouble installing the Peanut Smart Plug when I first got it so I made an instructional video for everyone else!

Check it out:

1 Like

I recently got 2 of the peanut plugs. I had no problems pairing them or getting them to work.

However, it seems like about every 3 days they do something weird. If I look at the history in the app they shut off and back on. Both do it at the same time and it is apparently a very short time as the on and off time are the same. I have them on a couple cameras that aren’t interfaced to ST so I can’t tell if they actually go on/off or just say they do. At first I thought it might be a power blip but nothing else in the house goes off. Just the 2 peanut plugs.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Sounds like the problem that plagues many different devices in ST.

Maybe so, but this is the first time I have had any issues like this with any devices. Just seems strange that both of them do it at exactly the same time. Wondering if there is something in the DTH causing the issue.

It looks like the default behavior of the Peanut Plug is to stay in the same power state when the plug itself loses power. Is this configurable, either with ST or with an Almond hub? Thanks to @pakmanwg for the great DTH!

Hi Jamesham

In the config menu on Almond hub, you can turn off the retain state for the device.
Click on the device in Almond hub, then click on advanced menu, you will see the retain state item. You can turn it off if you want. I have not try it out, let us know if it work for you.

Thanks for the reply @pakmanwg ! I don’t currently have an Almond hub. I only have the ST hub (3rd gen). However, I’m looking at getting a used Almond (one of the versions you listed above) so that I can apply firmware updates to my plugs. I may also try to use it to determine how the Almond hub sends the state information so I could try to add it to the ST DTH.

Great. Let me know if you can get it to work.

I bought three of these Peanut Plugs. They seem to have bolstered my Zigbee door sensors into working better. I am using the @pakmanwg device handler. All three of my plugs report energy usage at 0E+1W and 0E-12kWh in each of the three devices. I have read where this is a firmware issue in the plug. Is there a fix for users who use the device on a SmartThings hub only and do not own one of the Securifi Almond routers?

Hi Scott

The smartthings is getting data from the new firmware. Unfortunately, without update to new firmware, the data will not be available to smartthings. And for now, the firmware upgrade is only available thru Securifi Almond routers.

I have updated the firmware on numerous Peanut Plugs, both for myself and others on here. All of mine still report to ST in the same format you show with this DTH, so I can use that data for automation. I just haven’t had time to troubleshoot or to dive into webCORE. Take a look at this thread…

https://community.smartthings.com/t/securifi-peanut-plugs/143921